AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, out of nowhere, the colors and brightness on my 32" sharp started to fade in and out... then this jagged horizontal distortion kicked it... it's been intermitent ever since...

At first I thought it was interferance, but i couldnt identify the source if it was.. it's happening on all inputs (including cable)...

I'm pessimistic by nature and fear the worse-- is this sucker giving up the ghost?

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
If the TV is in a Entertainment center get it out. E.C. are worst possible scenario for heat producing devices. Unplug unit from power source for 24 hours minimum. I have a how to get into most brands service menu in my signature below. If you don't have a bright light when TV is turned off it's not the picture tube.

If none of these work for you and your not experienceing a bright light on turn off call for service or buy a new HDTV and join us very happy wide screen watchers that own a Wide Screen HDTV your choice 16 X 9 or 4:3. :)

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Parris
Last night, out of nowhere, the colors and brightness on my 32" sharp started to fade in and out... then this jagged horizontal distortion kicked it... it's been intermitent ever since...

At first I thought it was interferance, but i couldnt identify the source if it was.. it's happening on all inputs (including cable)...

I'm pessimistic by nature and fear the worse-- is this sucker giving up the ghost?
How old is it?

Phil

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Phil-- it's only about 2 years old... definately out of warranty-- Not sure if it's worth servicing, since I was going to upgrade soon anyway.

hob-- THANKS for the info. I knew if anyone could help me it's you guys here at AVS Forum. I'll unplug my TV and take it out of the EC when I get home. I figured an EC was a bad environment for a direct view of this size, but I had no idea it could do permanent damage so quickly... So if it's not the tube do you think it's the electronics? (I do not have a bright light).

Thanks again guys,

John

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Parris
So if it's not the tube do you think it's the electronics? (I do not have a bright light).
If the sound is normal, it could be the HV power supply or some other circuitry supporting the video or tube.

Yeah -- two years does not seem that good. I have a 1989 Mits that is still working well (now in the bedroom).

Replace or repair is always a tough choice, and depends on what a replacement set would cost vs. the repair. But if you are ready to go HDTV anyway, I'd not get it fixed. OTOH, if repaired it is new enough you might get years of service out of it.

Phil

·
Banned
3,023 Posts
The newer sets just don't work like they used to do they? They used to last 10 years or more. But nowadays, you have to buy a 5 year extended warranty to get any decent lifetime out of them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DonBerg
The newer sets just don't work like they used to do they? They used to last 10 years or more. But nowadays, you have to buy a 5 year extended warranty to get any decent lifetime out of them.
Sad but true, Don. I extended the warranty on my KV-34XBR800 to five years for just that reason. I figure that if I get five years out of it, there will be some new whiz-bang thing I can replace it with then. If I get more than five years, its gravy.

Same seems to be true of refrigerators. I have one in the garage that is 23 years old and works fine. I've replaced the one in the house twice in the last 10 years.

Phil

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reliability is no longer a big factor in any consumer electronics or appliance... unless the company has some kind of reputation for durability/reliability I don't think they care enough to ensure the product will last for a long time-- they'd much rather sell you a NEW product every few years... :rolleyes:

Well, thanks for your help guys-- I unplugged it as hob suggested... will plug it in again when I get back from Atlanta tomorrow, and if it's not fixed by then... I guess I'll monkey around in the service menu... if it's not working by Monday I guess I'll try to find a US dealer with a Sony HS-10... and drive to Lowes or HD to pickup the supplies for a parkland screen... was the death of this thing a blessing in disguise? ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
When you get a decreased picture of the top and/or bottom portions of the raster, or if it collapses to a horizontal line, you are probably starting to have problems with the vertical scanning section in the TV set. I suggest you take it in if you aren't familiar with repairing electronics. I've seen things like leaky capacitors and cold solder joints cause these problems. These are low-cost components; you will probably pay more in labor and troubleshooting charges.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.