AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During computer usage the left and right sides of the screen are blurry, I thought it may be the connection, but when watching Die Another Day using "Popup Video Vision" it was painfully aparent that it is effecting all modes of TV usage when the text of the popups was blurry in the effected areas. Turning the brightness of the set absurdly low made the text readable without having to squint, but even then its a tad blurry. It effects games through the Gamecube and PS2 also, however its less aparent beacuse of the ways the games are designed.

Is this something fixed by calibration, or am I going to be lugging this set back to the store?

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
From what I've seen, Sony's don't have the absolute best uniformity across the screen out of the box. My 34xbr800 16:9 TV has similar issues. This problem generally seemed less noticeable to me though on the 4:3s, so I'm kinda surprised it's that apparent to you. Tweaking the convergence helped to improve the clarity around the edges on my TV, but there's still a a definite difference from the center to the edges. I see it with text on the computer input, but not so much on DVDs. Calibrating the TV, and reducing the contrast may help as well. And perhaps an ISF worth his salt might be able to make even a few more improvements.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using the Nokia Monitor test program and a Moire test patern through the DVI connection, 6 inches from the left and right side are effected, the TV (picture) is 27 inches wide. Basically the Moire test pattern is gray rather then lined in the effected outside area. The top and bottom of the picture are perfectly fine (in both 16x9 enhanced and 4:3 with Jump off). Turning the picture down to 0 made the effect go away (Its also difficult to see, however you can see enough to tell its away). The Convergience test in the program yielded that the convergience was certainly off, however not in the same uniformity as the blurriness. (the 4 quadrants of the TV all seem to have convergience varriations).

I had a 27inch Wega Flatscreen before this TV (my brother bought it). And it never had anything like this (I actually used it as a 480i monitor for a couple weeks while my regular monitor was sent back for repair).

Is this just the way the HDTV's are? I can't afford a ISF calibration right now.. perhaps i'm just asking for too much. I'm gonna call sony tomorow and see what they say, I bought the ESP with it so I can always use that, but its only been a week since I bought it anyway.

Thanks for the help.

One last thing: I don't expect perfection for usage as a computer monitor, I expected that. But when playing games and such you notice is.. its rather frustrating. It took some effort to get this SOB (250+ pounds) to its location. :D I just don't want to take it back to get another one if it going to do the same thing.

·
Registered
10,501 Posts
Tweaking the convergence definitely helped to fix some (but not all) of the blurriness on the left and right side of my screen, and it rectified alot of the color fringing. I think there's possibly some more that could be done though. I'm just not sure what or where. And since Im too cheap to spring for an ISF, I'll probably just ignore it. :) Turning down the contrast and tweaking some of the sharpness controls is how I deal with it on a computer input.

I'd recommend that you look at some other TVs though, including some other 36HS510s, and see if they have the same issues you're seeing on yours.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I might just bring the DVD player in with the same DVD I noticed the issue with (With the small text) and see if it does it on the display set.

Thanks for the input, yet again :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.