AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a new house, and currently have a 50" Plasma mounted above the fireplace in the family room. I'm looking to replace with a 65" or 70" as our viewing distance is pretty darn far (about 13 to 14 feet).

The issue at hand is that the fireplace and drywall is an outcropping (not sure of the actual term) offset from the main wall. The width of the drywall box that houses the fireplace is 60 inches, which is more than wide enough for the 50" plasma. But if I move to a 70", the frame of the TV will overhang each side by at least an inch on each side (looking at the new 2014 Vizio LED's). The 65" would fit within the space almost exactly. I've included a diagram so I'm a bit more clear.

So, the question is: Will it look stupid if the TV is larger than the wall area it is hanging on? I tried to find pictures using Google of anyone who's done something similar and found nothing. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
a picture of you room would be more helpful.. I would say no, it won't look to large, the image itself is still going to be small from 14' I sit 14' from 110" and could go to 120 without it being to big..

Yes, I know you are talking about the aesthetics of the TV on the smaller wall outcrop which I think will look fine.. I mean as good as a tv can over a fireplace, it will be way to high, make sure you have a tilt mount as LCD need to be on axis or your colors will be washed out..

·
Registered
35 Posts
From a design perspective, I think it would look better if the TV did not overhang on the sides. From a TV viewing perspective, BIGGER is better. So you have to balance which you care about more.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arameth  /t/1526721/is-my-tv-going-to-be-gasp-too-large#post_24591712

So, the question is: Will it look stupid if the TV is larger than the wall area it is hanging on? I tried to find pictures using Google of anyone who's done something similar and found nothing. Thanks in advance!

Yes. IMO...

When I moved into my new house, I had a 46" TV earmarked for a pre-wired wall location in my game room. When placed there, once side hung over the edge of the wall (which angled to a hallway, so it wasn't "in the way", just hanging over as in your case). I never liked the way it looked, as it was obviously too big for the space. A year or so later, I happened onto a deal on a 40" LED, and swapped it out. If I have a picture of the old TV hanging there, I'll post it.

I guess put it this way - if it were anything other than a TV (a picture frame, an art piece, etc.), would your answer be any different?

Jeff

·
Registered
733 Posts
Can you cut a cardboard template to the screen size and see if it bothers you? The fact that you thought to post about it makes me think it might bother you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts