AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to HTPC and there's a lot to learn.


I have a NVidia GeForce FX 5200 video card and I'm wondering if this is enough to run HDTV programming from my PC? I'm assuming it will work with DVD playback?


Will my 51" rear projection HDTV recognize this DVI connection or am I better off getting the DVI-component converter and just hooking it up that way?


sorry for the newbie questions but I'm getting frustrated trying to learn about all of this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Check this list here: MCE 2005 Hardware Compatibility List


That list is for Minimum MCE 2005 requirements and hardware tested to work. Sort of. The reason I say that is because when you introduce HDTV, things change considerably. And MS hasn't really published any info regarding HDTV requirements, that I know of.


For HDTV the 5200 is not enough. For DVD and SDTV I think it would work fine. I think the minimum for HDTV would be ATI 9800Pro or Nvidia 6600GT and above.


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,991 Posts
Not true, I was using a Fusion II on a 2.4GHz machine with a GF4 MX440 64MB card for over a year. Standard overlay HDTV OTA watching, recording, playback worked just fine.


Check the HD card manufacturer's sites for hardward requirements.


Hammer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
Hammer: Check your facts before you start spewing "not true". I am giving this advice based on MCE 2005 HDTV usage only. And for that system it is true.


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
182 Posts
Dang! Those kind of specs won't work with MCE. How do you know he's using MCE?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbighoss
Hammer: Check your facts before you start spewing "not true". I am giving this advice based on MCE 2005 HDTV usage only. And for that system it is true.

Jim
True, but why are you giving advice about MCE2005 when no one has asked for or even mentioned running MCE 2005. not that i'm critising you or anything.


An FX5200 gfx card will be fine to play back HD content provided the rest of your system is up to scratch of course :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
englishp: Because it is the front-end that............... wait a sec......if you are not critical or "anything" then what up?? What are you contributing to answer wmessin's question? Stifle yourself Edith.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
859 Posts
Quote:
What are you contributing to answer wmessin's question? Stifle yourself Edith
jim are you having a bad day ? Both your reading comprehension and attitude (overly sensitive) seem to be off


The MCE thing was no big deal. So what if some jump on you. Seriously, you could have replied that you simply neglected to explain the reason for your inclusion of the info about MCE or (if it was a reading error on your part) admited that it was initially a mistake, but that you were glad that you accidently devulged it because it provides good broad/full picture info nonetheless (and I'm sure readers would agree and appreciate it too).


But dude, your reply to EP really set yourself up to look like a fool. Indeed, take a look what he wrote:
Quote:
An FX5200 gfx card will be fine to play back HD content provided the rest of your system is up to scratch
Certainly not an indepth technical answer, but I think most people would agree that it was a fine initial step in addressing the OP's question:
Quote:
I have a NVidia GeForce FX 5200 video card and I'm wondering if this is enough to run HDTV programming from my PC?
Every dog has its day, but please refrain next time ... no matter how accurate the info you provide, the last thing this forum needs is tone that will only add to the already abundant noise levels here within
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
City: I am not quite sure what your message has to do with the original poster's question, nor hammer's, nor EP's. The question was asked, I answered it from my area of expertise, and then 3 of you go sensitive. I will not roll over with comments like theirs. In spite of this I am still here to provide assistance and to seek it from others as well. Isn't that what this forum is all about anyway?


Regards,


Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
386 Posts
I have an FX 5200 with 1080i output over DVI-HDMI to a direct view CRT (running MCE 2005) . I can play WMV-HD 1080p video files perfectly, but don't have OTA HDTV so unsure about that. I thought that WMV-HD would be at least as demanding as other HD formats, but perhaps I'm wrong.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbighoss
City: I am not quite sure what your message has to do with the original poster's question, nor hammer's, nor EP's. The question was asked, I answered it from my area of expertise, and then 3 of you go sensitive. I will not roll over with comments like theirs...
Yikes. I did not mean to poke at you man. I gave an honest reply of my own personal experience. Just happened to contradict your "expertise".


The original question was "I have a NVidia GeForce FX 5200 video card and I'm wondering if this is enough to run HDTV programming from my PC?". I don't see any mention of MCE, but your reply went directly to MCE. I still can't figure out why?


Then you say "For HDTV the 5200 is not enough". My reply was directed at that very statement and the original question. Again from my own experience, a GF4MX will run HDTV. The only correction is that I was running vga>component not DVI. Yes ALL nVidia cards attempting 1080i over DVI are tricky. But apparently at least a few people have posted that a 5200 is doing this trick!


Hammer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
ummm...anyhow....


I have Fusion 5 Lite with a FX5200 and a Sempron 2800+ (Socket 754, Palermo Core).


I'm outputting 1366x768 via DVI. I get 60-70% CPU usage on ABC (which I believe to be 720P), and 100% CPU usage on CBS (which is 1080i, I believe). This is the same with both dvico's frontend or MCE 2005. Even though the CPU reports 100%, I don't feel any stutter or see any dropped frames...and the audio is always in sync. HOWEVER, when I play 1080p WMV clips, the cpu is 100% AND the audio is way out of sync....the video stutters occasionally. Oh 720p WMV clips also play at around 50% CPU usage.


Hope that helps. BTW, I'm upgrading to a plain 6600, just to make sure about the 1080i...right now, it seems fine, but I may be dropping frames and don't even know it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbighoss
3rob3: Then they are using 720P as their output/desktop resolution. The 5200 GPU cards do a poor job with anything 1080i.


Jim
Correct. Now that you mention it they are running at 720p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
I've been following this thead with great interest, I'm also thinking about adding an HDTV OTA card to my PC.


AFAIK, there are two kinds of 5200 graphics chips (maybe more, I dunno), some that use a 64 bit interface to the video memory, others that use 128 bit.


For the users who have successfully used FX5200 cards, do you know if those cards were 64 bit or 128 bit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn
Not true, I was using a Fusion II on a 2.4GHz machine with a GF4 MX440 64MB card for over a year. Standard overlay HDTV OTA watching, recording, playback worked just fine.


Check the HD card manufacturer's sites for hardward requirements.


Hammer
Hi Hammerdwn. Were you able to view 1080i with the MX400 card?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblurker
Hi Hammerdwn. Were you able to view 1080i with the MX400 card?
Not a simple answer...


My setup has changed since then. I have upgraded to 6600 non-GT, true DDR400 Ram, & OC my 2.4GHz P4 to 2.9GHz. Those upgrades made a big difference in File Playback of 1080i ts/tp and WMVHD1080p using VMR9. This current setup is probably the minimum requirement for VMR9 HD File Playback over VGA @ 1080i output resolution. I've read that DVI and even onboard component is a completely different story.


My old system was MX440, DDR266, and stock 2.4GHz. Outputting VGA to component FusionII standard overlay HDTV OTA watching, recording, playback worked just fine. But 1080p WMVHD was not good, and VMR9 was out of the question. Also Note: Back then I never took the time to set up an actual 1080i output resolution. The reason was because my Tv locks in to 1080 whether I feed it 540p or 1080i. So, I was really only outputting 540p at that time. Now that I have setup a real 1080i output resolution, I can tell you that they look virtually identical on my Tv.


Hammer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdwn
Not a simple answer...


My setup has changed since then. I have upgraded to 6600 non-GT, true DDR400 Ram, & OC my 2.4GHz P4 to 2.9GHz. Those upgrades made a big difference in File Playback of 1080i ts/tp and WMVHD1080p using VMR9. This current setup is probably the minimum requirement for VMR9 HD File Playback over VGA @ 1080i output resolution. I've read that DVI and even onboard component is a completely different story.


Hammer
Which 6600 non-GT video card did you upgrade to?


I'm very confused by the video card requirements for 1080i. According to the MS MCE 2005 HDTV requirements, they say the card has to be 128MB, 128 bit memory interface and have at least 10Gb/sec of memory bandwidth. I guess they meant 10 gigabytes/sec and not 10 gigabits/sec.


So if the 6600 non-GT card used DDR400, would that mean 2*400Mhz=800Mhz of memory bandwidth? If the memory bus was 128 bits, that would mean [email protected] bytes for a total memory b/w of 12.8GB/s, more than the 10GB/s threshold.


OTOH, if the DDR400 sdram was actually 200Mhz DDR, that would yield 400Mhz * 16 bytes, or 6.4GB/s of memory bandwidth.


Do you know if there is already a thread here about the video card requirements for displaying 1080i?
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top