Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to everyone who helped me hook these up last night.:D

My next question is whether or not it's necessary to upgrade my pioneer amp for these towers. My friend told me I might need a high current amp.

Is mine "low" current????

Receiver specs: Pioneer VSX-d912k 6.1 (but has 7.1 inputs :confused: )

I don't know what's relevant so here's all of it -

Stereo 110 Watts x 2

Surround 110 Watts x 6

Digital decoding & processing

MCACC w/ Microphone speaker & Subwoofer detection

Double Precision 48-Bit Motorola DSP

DTS 96/24 Decoding

DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 Decoding

DTS NEO 6 Music & Cinema Surround Decoding

Pro-Logic II Music & Movie Surround Decoding

DAC 96kHz/24-Bit

Speaker specs: Definitive Technologies BP2002TL

Sensitivity 92 db

Response 17 Hz – 30 kHz

Nom. Impedence 4-8 ohms

Each tower has one built-in 12" subwoofer w/250-watt RMS Infinite Power Source amp.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Def Techs present pretty difficult loads. A indication of their true sensitivity is the 'somewhat' noncommittal "4-8 ohm" statement. Much of what I've read indicates that 4 ohms is most accurate.

Def Techs were often behind the infamous Pioneer Elite VSX 45 shutdowns, and the 45 has an amp section beefier that the 912. However, your amp is no slouch and does produce pretty high current for a receiver. The shutdowns were related more to a oversensitive protection circuit, so you may be OK.

Try it out by pushing the system just beyond what you would do normally, and check for any anomalies, like speaker distortion, or amp overheating.

You can always use an outboard stereo amp for the mains.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bubbawilly

You can always use an outboard stereo amp for the mains.
You mean hooking up another amp to my receiver?

Would a Pioneer A 35R work?

It's 45w x 2 and 4 ohm stable.

Also, if you say that 4 ohms is more accurate for the Deftech's, then maybe I should really consider this since Pioneer recommends 8 - 16 ohm speakers with the 912.

:(

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
I'm not familiar with the A 35R, but 45w x 2 is less than your 912 is capable of. The 912 will probably deliver its rated power with just 2 channels driven, and very close to 100w with 5 channels driven.

Don't panic, give it a try as is. You've got one of the better mass-market receivers available. Processing is second to none, and power is very good!

The powered speakers will really help. Set your mains to "Small," and let the powered subs do the majority of the work. I'm not familiar with these Def Techs, but they should allow you to leave most everything under 100 Hz, or so, to the speaker's amp. This will allow the 912 to cruise!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.