AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that the MyHD has a newer tuner chip. Is any one with marginal reception with one of the other HD cards getting better reception with MyHD? I live in an apartment and am limited in antenna choices. I like the MyHD card, but based on past experience with the WinTV-D, I'll need a better tuner.

David

·
Registered
509 Posts
I second that question. I have a HiPix, but am reception challenged, and would also like to know if MyHD would provide a significant improvement.

·
Registered
371 Posts
ok, i "third" the request--we've got a majority, so someone please speak up!

the few stations i have are in opposite directions, and splitting the difference means dropouts in both using my Hipix. two antennas with a joiner doesn't help either because signal strength is marginal to begin with. the MyHD's two ATSC inputs would theoretically solve one problem, and i'd be very interested to hear that it has better reception than the Hipix as well.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi, Folks!

In the limited amount of testing I could do last night, the MyHD's tuner appears to offer better signal sensitivity than either the RCA DTC100, or the WinTV-HD card (which was particularly poor). Video quality looks outstanding on both analog and digital signals.

I should point out two things. First, I've only had one night to test this, though I was able to do direct A/B comparisons with the DTC100. Second, the improvements I saw were definitely visible, but I would not necessarily classify them as dramatic. Given the nature of the tuner, folks who have multipath problems might benefit more than others, but this is solely conjecture.

As I get the time to play more, I'll pass on what I learn.

Have Fun!

MarkF

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Hi!

After playing a bit more, the situation is somewhat more complex. It appears that the MyHD definitely has the edge when it comes to analog signal sensitivity, but the DTC100 edges out the MyHD on digital signal sensitivity. While the two appear to be fairly close on digital, I have seen two instances where the MyHD suffered more dropouts than the DTC100, given the same input signals. In other words, I wouldn't plan on the MyHD improving your digital reception as compared to the RCA DTC100. Unfortunately, I don't have a HiPix, so I can't compare it to that board.

FYI!

MarkF

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
What chip model # is the demodulator? The demodulator should be fairly close to the tuner. I have my chip list for the WinTV-HD at home--not at work--but here are the models that I know of...

HiPix -> OR51210HQC (Oren)

AccessDTV -> NXT2000 (Nextwave)

If somebody has popped open their DTC100, please tell me the demodulator make/model and I will add it to the list.

All of these implementations dip from the same pool of parts.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I checked MyHD's demodulator chip. It's also a Nextwave NXT2000 like the ADTV's. Therefore, MyHD's "tuner" should have the same performance as the ADTV, no?

Dschmelzer, if there's other info you'd like to know about MyHD's parts list, let me know.

-yogaman

·
Registered
167 Posts
In Burke, VA Myhd has a slight edge over Hipix for WTTG which has multiple reflection problems in my area.

Weta is about the same and the rest are the same.

Verdicit slight edge to MyHD but not really changing for it. There is supposed to be a NEW chip in development from Nextwave but I have not seen any real use reports.

Joel

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Therefore, MyHD's "tuner" should have the same performance as the ADTV, no?

yogaman: Presumably so. The other two parts that are part of the equation are the tuner and IF downconverter. But the demodulators seem to be key.

How does the parts list compare to the Hipix's ?

·
Registered
848 Posts
Part numbers and markings taken from a beta test MyHD card (\

= newline):

PWB is 1.5 inches shorter than HiPix

Tuner: Philips logo on RF enclosure. Markings: 3139 147 17251L\

FCV1236D/F H C\

SV20 0051 (I hope ripping the MyHD label off the tuner can doesn't invalidate the warranty. :)

Demod: NextWave NXT2000

Other ICs:

Something with a heatsink; my guess is it's the Janus chip: TL880.

Micronas VPX3225D CV\

0324 37 HN U\

Micronas MSP 3440 B6\

0453 DH LC F\

Samsung K4S643232C-TC80 (qty 2)

Microclock MK2772-01S

NEC C3206G\

0036A (I think this might be the down converter.)

IDT GS3L384Q\

YG0005D

Microclock MK27165\

0041CA

SAW2 = 44TC with a logo I don't recognize (SAW2 is the silkscreen label; I can't find SAW1.)

And several smaller devices.

So, it looks like the TL880 is about the only thing common to the two designs!

Hope this is of interest.

-yogaman

·
Registered
167 Posts
MyHd held up through the rough weather in the area last nite WTTG in DC is much better than with HiPix.

In another thread Cliff has said that myHD was about 8 db better. My viewing agrees with an improvement with respect to HiPix-but it is really hard to quantify because of multireflection issues.

Joel

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
My signal strength is almost as high as it can go with the MyHD card and yet there are some digital artifacts about every 2 minutes. Are others experiencing this? Is there any cure?

·
Registered
408 Posts
You could be getting a high signal reception level and still get multipath, causing dropouts.

Ofcourse the other problems could be PC or card related. Bus, driver, motherboard, graphics card (if used), etc. Hard to say.

·
Registered
484 Posts
The reception I get with my MyHD card is definitely much better than with the Accessdtv card I was using. It pulls in more channels with less dropouts and *seems* less sensitive to the exact direction the antenna points. I would guess that its digital equalizer is doing a better job at equalizing out the multipath interference than the Accessdtv but it could just be the tuner.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
"So, it looks like the TL880 is about the only thing common to the two designs!"

Thanks for the detailed rundown. I'll put together a package for the board one of these days. Those are the same tuner/demodulator parts as the AccessDTV.

http://www.schmelzer.org/dschmelzer/accessdtv_chips.htm

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hmmm, if AccessDTV and MyHD are using the same tuner and demodulator then maybe the demodulator is a later rev of the chip or the board layout is substantially better.

·
Registered
13,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Endymion
Hmmm, if AccessDTV and MyHD are using the same tuner and demodulator then maybe the demodulator is a later rev of the chip or the board layout is substantially better.
John,

The board layout is very different.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I get 6 bars of signal watching KQED with my Samsung SIR-T150. I get 2 bars with MyHD. My antenna goes first to the Samsung via RG6, then to the the MyHD via three long, cheap pieces of RG59. I'm in the bottom floor of an apartment complex, surrounded by buildings. And I live near the airport.

Yes, it's reception hell.

The SIR-T150's picture broke up as an airplane took off rather low last night. But the MyHD kept on truckin'. It's a nice little card!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.