AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've described elsewhere in detail the PQ problems I have with Bravo D1 DVI -> NEC... summary: noisy, gray blacks. In one of the Bravo threads in the DVD Players forum, Jim Noyd suggested it might be that the NEC's DVI input is mapped to the more traditional PC 0-255 scale rather than DVD's 16-235. Very likely, but there's no apparent means to adjust it in either the NEC's normal or service menus. BTW- Access to the latter provided by Alan Maher: On the remote: Off Timer, Exit, Mute, Off Timer.

So, I'm making a last ditch appeal before the Bravo goes back to see if anyone who's really in the know on this unit can answer the gray scale remapping question (or for that matter, other thoughts on the crappy DVI PQ). Thanks!

·
Registered
390 Posts
I contacted NEC and I'm still waiting for a response. I have the same concerns with my dvd player and the MP3.

Alan

·
Registered
390 Posts
BTW, go into the service menu and make sure the limiter is on for each input. The limiter is after the PSC page.

I have not found my tv crushing the gray scale on any input (including dvi). Do you know how to set up the gray scale using the ramp pattern on Avia or VE? In the normal video setting adjust the contrast until the 90% block clips into the white. Back down until you see the 90% and 100% block. Now look at the 10% block. Lower the brightness until it disappears. Back up until the block just re-appears. Double check the top end again. The NEC circuit requires several minutes after the adjustment to stabilize. Re-check you adjustments after 10 minutes. This setting is going to produce a very bright image and complete gray scale dynamic. I like to use DVE for this set up.

Keep in mind the NEC likes interlace video better than progressive scan. In some applications the progressive scan converters fight each other creating noise artifacts. I have the same problems with my set up. Try the 480i and 1080i settings.

Alan

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Alan. Yeah... I've "stretched" the bottom (black) and top (white) ends of the scale with brightness / contrast respectively using THX setup (don't have DVE), but that seemed to increase solarization. I wasn't real careful about re-checking later, though.

It does do a fabulous de-interlacing job, doesn't it? However, I can't say it's better than my RP56 480p out. Do you know what chipset the NEC uses for this?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last night I carefully followed your recommendations, allowing stabilization time between each readjustment. It's definitely better... almost to the point where I may keep the D1. There is one notch on the brightness above which the noise is clearly introduced: Very noticeable on black bars when viewing 2.35:1 aspect ratio. For some reason, I don't see this cliff-like dropoff when adjusting scale on the component input for the RP56. At this setting for the D1, I notice a very slight loss of black level detail compared to the RP56. But the D1's overall image is now definitely if only slightly rendering normal light level detail better. I was also able to reduce the posterization I was seeing by very careful contrast adjustment.

On svc menu 5, you say to make sure the limiter is on for each input. However, there are two "limit" fields: limit-vd and limit-pc. They are off & on respectively by default. Should limit-vd be set on? Sure would be nice to have a "service menu manual"!

Thanks again for your help, Alan.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Guys, I have spoken with a local service center. They only have 1 copy of the service manual, ( large manual) so I can't get a full copy. But, the lady I spoke with, said she would photo copy the pages I needed and send them to me. Hopefully in a day or 2, I'll have those pages and it will be enough? When they arrive, I will try to scan them and I'll e-mail them to you, if you send me your e-mail address'.

Dave...

·
Registered
63 Posts
OK, I have the 9 pages. Not sure if this enough information? Anyway, I had them scanned & put into a .pdf file. But, the file is 10meg, so I can't e-mail this size file? Anyone have a place I can upload this file to? FTP server somewhere?

Dave...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.