AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this wireless-N router paired with their PS3? I've read complaints such as the following; You have to reset the router 3 or 4 times a day, range of N is half compared to what a wireless-g extends to and router speed decreases the more time you spend online. Don't know if this is just bad luck on the owner's part, but no matter what brand you look at, it seems that other brands such as Lynksys, Bekin, D-link, etc, also have similar complaints.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wireless its a hit and miss.

Especially when you have a N band a G band trying to connect. You can try it and make sure you optimize your settings - Current fw, different channels (1 or 11 not the 6 default), open ports, a good line of sight, etc.

·
Registered
246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth /forum/post/18138982

i have the 3700 model and it's the best router i've ever owned

+1 for the 3700

·
Registered
452 Posts
I am guessing that many PCs running Windows 7 64 bit are having problems with the dual-band routers.

I do not recommend getting the Linksys WRT400N Wireless-N Simultaneous Dual-Band Router for the 5 mhz channel had a very poor signal connecting to my new PC running Windows 7 64 bit.

I gave up on the dual-band routers and just got a Linksys WRT160N wireless N router this weekend. Works flawlessly with my PS3 and four other computers [new PC is running Windows 7 64 bit]. Target has it on sale for $69 plus a $10 Target gift card.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked into the Netgear 3700 on Amazon and it seems to be the only Netgear router with pretty good customer reviews (when compared with negative ones), but it's so expensive. I know PS3's don't have N cards, but if I'm not mistaken, N routers pick up g signals as well. Maybe N routers are the way to go, but now I'm debating whether to get a dual band or regular N router.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh /forum/post/18142654

I looked into the Netgear 3700 on Amazon and it seems to be the only Netgear router with pretty good customer reviews (when compared with negative ones), but it's so expensive. I know PS3's don't have N cards, but if I'm not mistaken, N routers pick up g signals as well. Maybe N routers are the way to go, but now I'm debating whether to get a dual band or regular N router.

I've got the 3700 as well and it's by far the best router I've ever had (lynksis prior). I've got my laptop, wireless to it's 5hz N and the ps3 wireless to the 2.4hz G. Also, netflix streams to my tv wired, ditto for onkyo receiver for pandora, etc. For me, it was worth the extra dough.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowmaan1 /forum/post/18142898

I've got the 3700 as well and it's by far the best router I've ever had (lynksis prior). I've got my laptop, wireless to it's 5hz N and the ps3 wireless to the 2.4hz G. Also, netflix streams to my tv wired, ditto for onkyo receiver for pandora, etc. For me, it was worth the extra dough.

Don't you mean that it streams wirelessly?

Also, I didn't mention it on this thread, but I had the Netgear Rangemax WPN824, which died recently. Sad because I only had it for 30 days! Prior to this, I was using the WGR614, which I've owned since 2005, however, I could NOT get my PS3 online with that router. The WPN824 worked great for 30 days, PLUS I was finally able to get my PS3 online. Maybe I just got a bad router, I don't know. Luckily I have the old router as back up. Being that the 1st router was good to me for 5 years (and still working), I figured I'd stick with Netgear.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh /forum/post/18143657

Don't you mean that it streams wirelessly?

Also, I didn't mention it on this thread, but I had the Netgear Rangemax WPN824, which died recently. Sad because I only had it for 30 days! Prior to this, I was using the WGR614, which I've owned since 2005, however, I could NOT get my PS3 online with that router. The WPN824 worked great for 30 days, PLUS I was finally able to get my PS3 online. Maybe I just got a bad router, I don't know. Luckily I have the old router as back up. Being that the 1st router was good to me for 5 years (and still working), I figured I'd stick with Netgear.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm using my TV, which I have wired to the router because it doesn't allow for wireless, for netflix. I could use the ps3 wirelessly but don't feel like messing with that disc they sent. I've had the router for 2-3 months at this point; can't speak to long term quality

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have the WNDR3300 and have never ran into any problems. Have multiple devices connected wirelessly (including PS3) and never have issues playing online.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I bought the cheapest d-link wireless-N router there was about 2 years ago and it's been chugging along just fine since then, no problems with PCs or my PS3.

In the future as I get more network tied items with ethernet ports what I may do is get a wireless-N bridge and plug all my networked HT components in through it. I have read that doing it, even fro just a PS3 is worth doing since you get the benifit of N speeds and you have a hard line going int the back of the console.

Or I may just put my router and modem next to the TV and get a wireless card or USB adapter for my desktop.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SDRANGER619,

That's good to hear. That's the router I considered buying since it's a step above the WPN824. It's also within the price range that I am willing to pay.

I really can't convince myself to pay $160 for that 3700 unit, that I consider to be top of the line. If you guys haven't done so already, take a look at some of those negative comments regarding routers on Amazon.com. For example, some will claim that Netgear is crap and have since switched to Linksys, while others say Linksys is crap and claim Netgear is the best in the world. Reading some of those make it more difficult for me to select the right router.

·
Registered
316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio5oh /forum/post/18149404

SDRANGER619,

That's good to hear. That's the router I considered buying since it's a step above the WPN824. It's also within the price range that I am willing to pay.

I really can't convince myself to pay $160 for that 3700 unit, that I consider to be top of the line. If you guys haven't done so already, take a look at some of those negative comments regarding routers on Amazon.com. For example, some will claim that Netgear is crap and have since switched to Linksys, while others say Linksys is crap and claim Netgear is the best in the world. Reading some of those make it more difficult for me to select the right router.

no problem.

Sometimes you just have to do it. I too looked at the reviews for the routers. Some said Netgear sucked and Lynksys was the best and vice versa. So I just picked, I dove in and got my 3300 and never looked back.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.