AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into several HDTVs, Princeton Graphics AS3.2HD, the Sony 40" widescreen HDTV, and the Panasonic 34" widescreen HDTV. But its towards the end of the year so will companies be bringing out new TVs early 2002. Or, will stores be dropping prices just after Xmas, year end clearance stuff?

·
Registered
241 Posts
There will be exceptions to this but typically with consumer electronics - new models are in the retail pipeline for the September/Christmas buying season. New models get announced at CES in January and then show up in the 2nd half of that year.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
I think now is the time to buy if you want to buy older models. Most companies have already started making room for newer models a few months ago and put a lot of the odler models on clearance.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Heck yes! When would you ever think you could get an HDTV for less than $1,500 so soon? The 2000 and 2001 models are in clearance right now! Check out the Toshibas 40H80 for $1,493.93 , the 56H80 for $2,383.93 , or the 65H80 for $2,796.93 .

Think about that: The comparable 65" 16:9 HDTV cost over $5,000 two years ago! Right now is the perfect time to buy. It is unlikely that prices will fall much further. The price differential between an HDTV and an analog TV of similar size is already down to a couple of hundred dollars. In my view there's no point in waiting for new models that won't really have any meaningful improvements.

·
Banned
93 Posts
Best bet is to stay with a 38" or less model that will not become obsolete when the new IRDs are released since there is minimal difference in visual quality between the various digital formats on displays under 40". I'd stay away from any HD display over 40" without a DVI input.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Oh man, here we go again. Stop giving people misleading information! DVI is no more likely to be used as a digital interconnect than Firewire is. Just because a couple of manufacturers said months ago that they would use it doesn't make it a done deal. Things have changed a lot since then, not the least of which being that HDCP (the encryption scheme that goes with DVI) has already been cracked. If anything, it's Firewire/DTCP the one that holds the inside track to being more widely used. The fact that there is only one set planned with DVI inputs (the JVC D'ahlia) should tell you something.

Furthermore, just because one or the other might be used on SOME equipment, doesn't mean it will succeed or become a standard. There's only one set with DVI and three or four with Firewire coming out, that's it! The vast majority of models still will have component/RGB connections. If people don't buy the Firewire equipment what do you think the manufacturers will do? Keep making them and lose money just to appease the MPAA? I don't think so!

The future of HDTV is in the consumer's hands. It is up to us to determine (with our wallets) what features we want and what restrictions we'll accept. They can't force us to buy anything we don't want. To this end, advice like the one provided in the previous post will only hurt HDTV, not help it.

NOTHING WILL BECOME OBSOLETE UNLESS WE ALLOW IT!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.