AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the latest units shipping any better than the first releases? Is the fan quieter? Are most of the bugs fixed? Are the OTA problems addressed? Or is everyone just tired of writing about them?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Well, I've had mine for about a week. I'm very happy with it.

The fan is nowhere near as loud as I'd been led to believe. Of course, I'm typing this at my computer, which is in the same room as the HD100. And my computer's fan is much louder than the HD100's, so maybe it's a matter of what you're used to.

I *am* now starting to get dropouts. I wasn't getting them or at least hadn't noticed them the first few days. Maybe they'd been happening while I was making a refrigerator trip <G>. But even now they're far less often than every half hour. More like one or two a night.

My main beef with the HD100 is the so-called integrated program guide. Supposedly it merges all the satellite channels, analog OTA channels, and digital OTA channels. And they are all LISTED in the same program guide. However, the PROGRAMMING listed for the analog OTA channels is simply "local programming," 24/7. And the programming listed for the digital OTA channels is simply "digital TV programming," also 24/7. This is NOT my idea of an "integrated" program guide.

Other than that, I love my HD100. The picture on KMOV 4.1 on CSI and Nash Bridges was absolutely stunning. Ditto for Jay Leno on KSDK 35.1. I guess I'll find out about KDNL 31.1 tonight when NYPD Blue comes on.

I don't have a DirecTV Plus dish yet so can't comment on HBO-HD.

------------------

Robert Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis

[email protected]

·
Registered
4,113 Posts
A simple question deserves a simple answer: YES.

The only remaining complaint is the guide info (just says "digital" or "cable"). I suspect this is the next problem to tackle after solving the drop-out problem.

If the fan noise bothers you, just remove it; I've been running "fan-less" (sitting on top of my HDTV) for over a month now and have had excellent audio/video performance since I first got it in March.

·
Registered
18 Posts
if you have a 4:3 set the one thing that sets the sony apart is the variable component out. so when you are watching hdtv you get your 16:9 but when you switCH back to your normal channels you get full screen. on the huges, mits, toshiba they do 1080i only out of the component input. this will leave you with a croped on all sides view on a normal HD ready 4:3 set. just food for though. I am happy with my hd-100 but I got it after most of the bugs have been worked out. the fan noise is not as bad as my computer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I bought a new one, (serial # in the 6000's and manufactured in April, 2001). It seems to me that the fan is quieter than my previous one (serial # in 200's). No problems noted yet with dropouts, or lip sync. All OTA digitals seem fine. And I have all three downloads. So far it seems everything is working right. I still note the slow "acquiring info from satellite" message when using the program guide.

·
Registered
134 Posts
With the new patch fixing the dropouts, I believe HD100 is probably one of the best HD receiver. The best part is the variable output and integrated menu. My wife loves this feature over the old DTC-100 input switch.

------------------

CC

·
Registered
690 Posts
Program information is sent by the supplier of the signal. Thus Directv sends you programming information. Local stations, at least in LA, are doing minimal testing with the technology now...call signs and the like.

SONY does not supply the info, you must wait or request from your local broadcaster. And it is true that both analog and digital are combined in the SONY menu. I put all digital and the 2 D* stations in a favorites category called "HDTV".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.