AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The current TIME magazine has a very interesting outlook of LCD and plasma TVs, discussing future market trends in the US as more plants in Asia come online. The article also quoted analysts predicting LCDs to drop in price by 30% each year!

The bottom line is if you can wait until the end of 2005 - 2006, the price will be much more favorable. I am not sure if I can hold out that long!:cool:

*The article can be found online at Time website.

· Registered
32,174 Posts
I don't mean to be a turkey but plasma and LCD prices have each fallen 20-30% over the past several years and each will do so for the next 3-5 years before reaching some "bottom" of sorts.

So the "logic" in waiting implies a very long wait.

· Banned
10,928 Posts
Right now... given my current price tolerance level (and my wife's permission) I'm leaning towards the Panny TH-50PHD7UY. I have to use TWC for my video source so I have their Explorer 8300HD DVR. This DVR supports HDMI, 480i/480p/720p/1080i pass-through and I use it's digital audio out to an Onkyo TR-SX600 receiver. From what I've seen on this Forum, visualapex is an authorized Panasonic dealer and appears to be a good Internet reseller both in terms of price and support.

· Registered
950 Posts
Why wait?? If you can afford a few extra ducats, enjoy the PQ now!

Vb

· Registered
8,948 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 3.1415926 pi
Why wait?? If you can afford a few extra ducats, enjoy the PQ now!

Vb
For many who still have mostly analog sources, PQ improvement is not all that great. The larger screen is more of an inducment than a huge leap in PQ.

· Registered
950 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dsmith901
For many who still have mostly analog sources, PQ improvement is not all that great. The larger screen is more of an inducment than a huge leap in PQ.
Now that's sad!:(

Vb

· Banned
10,928 Posts
After nearly 20 years of marriage, in order to maintain harmony and peace at home, I've found it a good practice not to "spring" a multi-$1000 purchase on my wife. Until recently, I could not even touch the price of a 50" Plasma display. Now that it is in reach for me, I have to spend a period of time to get my wife accustom to the idea of another electronic purchase:

Home PC (2) / network set-up in 2001 ($3000)

HD-HT in 2003 ($3000)

TH-50PHD7UY in 2005? (~$5000)

Of course since 2001 my wife has enjoyed 5 cruises and 3 trips to Disney World (DVC Members).

It's all a matter of give & take... I've been playing around with the "shopping cart" at VA but have not yet proceeded to "checkout." If it were all up to me (and it's not) I'd be on-line buying tonight!!!

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Did you mean to say "ducati's"? :)

If that's the case I don't even have one...little alone a few extra. :(

Now is always the time...if you want it. If one were to wait for the "best" deal, one would be waiting until the end of time. Unless of course there was a huge discount where they would cost $0.00.

· Registered
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by optivity
After nearly 20 years of marriage, in order to maintain harmony and peace at home, I've found it a good practice not to "spring" a multi-$1000 purchase on my wife. Until recently, I could not even touch the price of a 50" Plasma display. Now that it is in reach for me, I have to spend a period of time to get my wife accustom to the idea of another electronic purchase:
Yes, in order to maintain marriage harmony - compromises, prices and timelines need to be agreed upon - especially for large electronic purchases. My wife and I have agreed on a price point for a 42 ED plasma, so I have started the groundwork for a future HDMI receiver. I plan to buy around Feb 05, but may delay depending on specs of future 2005 plasmas.

JCPZero

· Registered
950 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rmcgirr83
Did you mean to say "ducati's"? .
No, I meant Ducats!

"Any of various gold coins formerly used in certain European countries."

Unless you meant the motor cycle.

Now that is a bad piece of machinery. "Italia"!!!

Vb

· Registered
950 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DJRobX
I'm dealing with spousal compromise right now! Last year I bought the PHD506UY for the livingroom. Now in return, I have to buy a PWD427UY for the bedroom. :)
Gee, that's too bad!:D :D

Vb

· Registered
950 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by optivity
Or you could buy the 65" 7UY for the living room and move the 50" 6UY into the bedroom?

Do I hear the project word: Addition???
Now that souds fair!!:D ;)

Vb

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Addition

Not for a very, very long time. We just went through one ourselves...and Pi, yep, "Ducati" as in the bad a$$ bike from italia.

PS I know what a Ducat is...just pulling your leg. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.