AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what the consensus is from the forum.

Would now be the worst possible time to buy an HD STB? With the merger (not even counting dvi/firewire) up in the air. You have to consider that this will drag out while approval is pending.

So, would it be wise to wait it out, see what evolves, buy a box when and if DirecTV or Echostar or a third platform is approved? Or should one jump in with both feet hoping that their box gives them a couple years of enjoyment or that it will be suitable replaced in an equipment swap with the new sat company?

The thing I worry about most is that this sort of confusion will slow the growth of HDTV. Consumers freeze up and do nothing waiting for a solution- meanwhile broadcasters and cable companies declare HDTV is a bust because no one is buying boxes.

What would you do today?- buy a box or wait. What would you tell a friend who likes HD, but isn't a videophile. What would you tell your mother who doesn't have a lot of $$$ to blow?

This argument also applicable to any specialty box not just HD. Would you recommend a DirecTivo? Ultimate TV? Who knows the future for these platforms?

Any thoughts???

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I think now is a great time to buy an ATSC receiver. In fact, last night I bought an open-box DTC100 from a local retailer. I also bought a 4-year repair-or-replace extended warrantee ($80) that I am hopeful will give me more leverage with the retailer if things change in the future. (Normally I would never consider an extended warrantee.)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
All I really want is the HD feed of HBO and HDNET? I have an old dishnetwork dish, and if they were on the same sat, I could just use that right?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BradZ
should one jump in with both feet hoping that their box gives them a couple years of enjoyment or that it will be suitable replaced in an equipment swap with the new sat company?
BINGO!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.