AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 546 Posts

·
Editor
Sony VPL-VW295ES, Denon AVR X8500H, GoldenEar SuperSub XXL, GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers, PS5 Pro
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Editor
Sony VPL-VW295ES, Denon AVR X8500H, GoldenEar SuperSub XXL, GoldenEar Triton 7 speakers, PS5 Pro
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also I am at incheon International airport in Seoul and looking at numerous LG OLED TV's that are installed here as advertisements, playing news and TV 24/7.

Granted who knows when these TVs get to have a compensation cycle implemented, but the lesson is... if you do not take care, trouble lurks.

They all show clear signs of IR at the minimum but also almost certainly burn in, that is easily seen and photographed.

It is interesting to say the least since these TVs are labeled as being "powered by LG Display"

·
Editor
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
And what about the Samsung QLED, Q9FN to be exact?
There are also QLEDs in the terminal and as you would expect zero signs of IR or burn-in. Which mirrors what rings saw. Also worth mentioning, the OLED TV's are not playing the same contents, there are probably dozens of them in the terminal and they are playing different channels but they clearly suffer from problems.

Q9FN should have the same resistance to burn-in as other QLEDs.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
And I totally, I am at incheon International airport in Seoul and looking at numerous LG OLED TV's that are installed here as advertisements, playing news and TV 24/7. They all show clear signs of IR at the minimum but also almost certainly burn in, that is easily seen and photographed.

It is interesting to say the least since these TVs are labeled as being "powered by LG Display"
There was a thread started a while back about one of those OLEDs at the Incheon Airport (photo) which had burn in (based upon the zdnet article), that thread was joined with a OLED burn in thread so your info in post #2 cannot be added. Anyway it would be nice if you share some picks.

LG OLED 2018 model burn in at Incheon Airport.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-oled-burn-in-at-incheon-airport-reignites-controversy/

LG replaced that model with a LCD.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-switches-airport-oled-to-lcd-amid-burn-in-row/

·
Editor
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
There was a thread started a while back about one of those OLEDs at the Incheon Airport (photo) which had burn in (based upon the zdnet article), that thread was joined with a OLED burn in thread so your info in post #2 cannot be added. Anyway it would be nice if you share some picks.

LG OLED 2018 model burn in at Incheon Airport.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-oled-burn-in-at-incheon-airport-reignites-controversy/

LG replaced that model with a LCD.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/lg-switches-airport-oled-to-lcd-amid-burn-in-row/

Thank you for the link.

I'll add that link to this article, and when I got home I can put some photos in this thread.

One slight issue is the lack of Internet in the flight. 12 hours of total cutoff!

When I am stateside...

But replacing that one TV? Lol. There are plenty of OLEDs with big issues here in the airport right now and not just a static display of departures. My video clips are easily showing "holy crap' obvious issues on TVs showing a variety of programming.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Its unfortunate how these networks always have there logo displayed. Anything static is probably a bad thing .
I see some networks have gone to a white logo,and you can see threw it . Hopefully this helps . History channel has a red and yellow logo, so I quit watching it and cnn

Reactions: merhow89

·
Registered
Display: TCL 65R617, AVR: Denon X2300W, Source: PS4 Pro, Fronts: Infinity Primus 250
2,746 Posts
I just had a conversation in a Facebook group about OLED burn-in. Some guy was arguing with me that it wasn't an issue and linked the Rtings article where they tested an LG OLED vs two different types of LCD displays. And in the article it showed that after a number of hours, the OLED had permanent burn-in but both LCD's had no damage whatsoever.

I thanked the guy for proving my point. Needless to say he wasn't happy.

Let that be a lesson. Read the articles you are linking to prove your point before posting them. LOL!

Reactions: Smigro

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I have 2 OLED tv's. First one is a 65EF9500, with over 4500 hours. OLED light is set to 100, and contrast at 85 for over 4000 hours. Most watching sports with logos and banners. No BI. My second tv is a 65E6 OLED with over 2000 hours. Again, no BI. It is completely being overblown. Real world use, real world no BI.

·
Registered
299 Posts
So... LCD's still stink but are still cheap. OLEDs are the only option that look great, but you still risk burn-in despite all the marketing claims that say otherwise. And no TVs of any type offer HDMI 2.1...

So what you are really saying is that it's still a bad time to buy any new TV.

I'll come back again in a year to check on progress. (I write this post every year :)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
So... LCD's still stink but are still cheap. OLEDs are the only option that look great, but you still risk burn-in despite all the marketing claims that say otherwise. And no TVs of any type offer HDMI 2.1...

So what you are really saying is that it's still a bad time to buy any new TV.

I'll come back again in a year to check on progress. (I write this post every year :)
There are LCDs that look great, maybe not right at the level of OLEDs, but top-tier LCDs can get very close.

I had a rear-projection CRT TV that developed burn-in (most notably lines at 4:3 and 2.35:1 aspect ratio borders on the 16:9 screen) and avoided plasma because the burn-in on my TV bugged me and I didn't want to invest in another TV where it would be a problem. That was also a reason I decided to go LCD over OLED (also being able to get a much larger size for similar money to a smaller OLED).

MicroLED can't come soon enough, assuming that will be free from burn-in concerns.

Reactions: Jonas2 and brazen1

·
Registered
572 Posts
There are also QLEDs in the terminal and as you would expect zero signs of IR or burn-in. Which mirrors what rings saw. Also worth mentioning, the OLED TV's are not playing the same contents, there are probably dozens of them in the terminal and they are playing different channels but they clearly suffer from problems.

Q9FN should have the same resistance to burn-in as other QLEDs.
My room is very bright in day time too so that might make a better option than OLED. Night timemovie watching is done with the projector...

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Yep, no airport living for me either...course I'm watching a 7 year old Panny PLASMA with zero burn in so what do I know about avoiding burn in.

These articles are a little one sided...they forgot to include the risks associated with watching an LCD...mainly crappy contrast/blacks and worse viewing-angle...chance of that happening=100%. LCDs public relations lobby must be really well funded, they've already killed one superior technology (plasma) and now they're gunning for a second...all the while still sporting their same old tired technology (the money for the lobby must come from the tons of money they're saving in R&D by never innovating) HA!
4K with a plasma would have been a massive power hog. Then there are energy regulations that really killed plasma.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I feel "airport screens" are completely offtopic on a forum like this. Those are in no way representative of normal use of a TV bought by an audiovideo enthusiast.

The risk of burn in exists. But it existed for plasma too. That hasn't stopped me from using my Kuro for more than nine years now, with pretty much zero burn in problems.
No way I would settle for guaranteed lower quality picture in the name of a *risk*. Certainty vs. risk. I know what to choose.

·
Banned
555 Posts
Yep, no airport living for me either...course I'm watching a 7 year old Panny PLASMA with zero burn in so what do I know about avoiding burn in.

These articles are a little one sided...they forgot to include the risks associated with watching an LCD...mainly crappy contrast/blacks and worse viewing-angle...chance of that happening=100%. LCDs public relations lobby must be really well funded, they've already killed one superior technology (plasma) and now they're gunning for a second...all the while still sporting their same old tired technology (the money for the lobby must come from the tons of money they're saving in R&D by never innovating) HA!
Yes the burn in mongering was a concerted effort by the lcd PR lobby to take down plasma, and it worked to an extent. Now the same is being tried against oled , if you go to social media sites, they jump onto such negative articles to convince themselves and others how they should never buy oled.
From someone who has used oled in a home environment for over a year (airport public display is not representative at all of home use), i would say of all the reasons you might cough up of trying to avoid oled, burn in risk should be right at the bottom of your list. the risk of permanent burn in on oled with normal home use is much less than plasma, which itself affected less than 10% total users.

·
Banned
555 Posts
There are LCDs that look great, maybe not right at the level of OLEDs, but top-tier LCDs can get very close.

I had a rear-projection CRT TV that developed burn-in (most notably lines at 4:3 and 2.35:1 aspect ratio borders on the 16:9 screen) and avoided plasma because the burn-in on my TV bugged me and I didn't want to invest in another TV where it would be a problem. That was also a reason I decided to go LCD over OLED (also being able to get a much larger size for similar money to a smaller OLED).

MicroLED can't come soon enough, assuming that will be free from burn-in concerns.
I own a z9d too beside oled, in a dark room environment, the z9d doesnt come to oled, with lights on it can look closer. watch pacific rim 4k uhd in a dark room and you'll see why z9d is much behind.

and burn in risks are all overstated, see i have been using oled as my primary monitor to hook up my pc since many months.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Both my OLED TV's are ISF calibrated to 120cd/m2 light output. No problems what so ever. There's no reason to ever go over 120cd/m2 unless you want to watch your TV with a welding mask on.

·
Editor
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Both my OLED TV's are ISF calibrated to 120cd/m2 light output. No problems what so ever. There's no reason to ever go over 120cd/m2 unless you want to watch your TV with a welding mask on.
Sure, as long as you watch in a dimmed room and only SDR content.

200 nits SDR on a TV calibrated for daylight viewing looks great.

·
Editor
17,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I own a z9d too beside oled, in a dark room environment, the z9d doesnt come to oled, with lights on it can look closer. watch pacific rim 4k uhd in a dark room and you'll see why z9d is much behind.

and burn in risks are all overstated, see i have been using oled as my primary monitor to hook up my pc since many months.
LG itself told ratings, which right now is showing that the issue is real, that it varies by panel so one person's experience may not be the same as another's especially with viewing habits in the mix.

1 - 20 of 546 Posts