AVS Forum banner

521 - 540 of 545 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I checked a SONY OLED dont know the model at some customers house. They have it for 2 years and for now no burn in.

·
Banned
347 Posts
As I see it BI is not an issue provided you have a warranty and the TV is under warranty. If you get BI the Manufacturer is going to replace the panel or give you a new TV. I will be getting a new LG C9 sometime this week. After it stops snowing and warms up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes burn in is a big problem. I got burn in on My C8 in just 1 week - QTV
I don't believe you and I never will. You have already been proven wrong in this thread. You only claim to show lies that TV producers sell us, but as soon as it is proved that what you are telling people on your YT channel is a lie, then you just remove their comments and ban people. It is a purely hypocritical move.

Example: you claimed 16GB of RAM is needed for you to be able to play your game and posted 3 videos on the topic. I proved to you that you have malware installed (I can see the malware process running on your "Your PC May Have This Problem..." video). I even posted you a link how to fix it and I was just blocked as a thank you. You may have some knowledge about TVs, but you're lacking in IT. Please do not confuse people. I just feel sorry for the users that are still trying to help you out and that they believe they need more RAM for gaming.

This might be a bit of off-topic, but I just wanted to expose this guy publicly, and give other members a heads-up about his practices (he cannot remove a post on this forum).

·
Registered
138 Posts
@Skytrooper, did LG replace the panel or the whole TV? All working okay?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a 77" C9, two 65" ones and I use a laptop and tablet with Amoled screens. I use the latter for all internet stuff. I haven't experienced any burn in and it's been a while.

As I understand it, the earlier models were more susceptible to screen burn but LG has since changed the design to use larger phosphors which last longer... or something...

It is worth noting (again) that burn in has been a potential issue with any display tech that lights pixels individually. Any CRTs and Plasma monitors I saw in airports or arcades (other other 24/7 pro environments) all had screen burn. But, the thing that makes screen burn possible is also what gives CRT, Plasma and Oled a superior image to LCD. Lighting pixels individually means each one can be turned full on or full off which gives them incredible contrast.

LCD or led backlit LCD and "Qled" (which is just LCD) uses one or a small number of backlights (aka "local dimming"). Unless you have an all black screen, that light is on which is why they have terrible contrast. They're nowhere near Oled performance and never will be. They're like Bulgarian wine - better than it used to be but... you know....

So... We all make a choice based on what's most important to us. You either decide the amazing image quality is worth the extra cost of Oled and worth being careful with your choice of content, or you decide that the lower cost and less risky LCD is worth sacrificing image quality. It's that simple.

It's obvious that not everyone with Oled displays has screen burn. So, do we assume that some people got defective models, or do we assume that they are lying about how careful they were. Did they leave the TV on with CNN all day every day for months and months, or did that CNN logo really get burnt in within hours of "normal use" as they claim??? We may never know.

·
Registered
10,528 Posts
One of the current unknowns is the life span of an OLED. 10 Years out, does it still look as good as day 1 ?
Secondly, both LCDs and OLEDs will look good if calibrated, and maintained properly. This includes a UPS protection from power surges, or those nasty off/on in 10 second outages.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
One of the current unknowns is the life span of an OLED. 10 Years out, does it still look as good as day 1 ?
Secondly, both LCDs and OLEDs will look good if calibrated, and maintained properly. This includes a UPS protection from power surges, or those nasty off/on in 10 second outages.
Was wondering about that myself.

Simply put: OLED has a fairly limited lifespan of about 8 – 10 years at top performance, steadily dropping thereafter. LED has a lifespan of about 8 – 13 years before it may drop in performance.
https://www.yourgamecave.com/oled-vs-led-lifespan/#How_Do_You_Measure_OLED_vs_LED_Lifespan

·
Registered
316 Posts
Was wondering about that myself.
"simply put", anyone who talks about life span in years and not hours is not a reliable source. While 2015/2016 models will be the first years with significant data, they're still only 4/5 years old, and beginning with the 2017's major changes were made to the panels. Wait until 2027 or when people have 50,000 hours on their sets before making any determinations.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Since we are talking about lifespans, I thought I would just add that my Panasonic 42" SD plasma TV (model TH-42PW5) has been in use and is still in use since 2002. It is still working fine, however I had to significantly increase the brightness level over the years as it got quite dim. But I should also note it is only used in the home theater for movies and not for over-the-air TV channels.

Edit: We also have a Sony 40" NX700 LCD TV that has been in use as the main TV in our TV lounge since 2010. Still going strong and it gets a lot of use everyday.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Of course not. No display ever made will look the same after ten years.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a 77" C9, two 65" ones and I use a laptop and tablet with Amoled screens. I use the latter for all internet stuff. I haven't experienced any burn in and it's been a while.

As I understand it, the earlier models were more susceptible to screen burn but LG has since changed the design to use larger phosphors which last longer... or something...

It is worth noting (again) that burn in has been a potential issue with any display tech that lights pixels individually. Any CRTs and Plasma monitors I saw in airports or arcades (other other 24/7 pro environments) all had screen burn. But, the thing that makes screen burn possible is also what gives CRT, Plasma and Oled a superior image to LCD. Lighting pixels individually means each one can be turned full on or full off which gives them incredible contrast.

LCD or led backlit LCD and "Qled" (which is just LCD) uses one or a small number of backlights (aka "local dimming"). Unless you have an all black screen, that light is on which is why they have terrible contrast. They're nowhere near Oled performance and never will be. They're like Bulgarian wine - better than it used to be but... you know....

So... We all make a choice based on what's most important to us. You either decide the amazing image quality is worth the extra cost of Oled and worth being careful with your choice of content, or you decide that the lower cost and less risky LCD is worth sacrificing image quality. It's that simple.

It's obvious that not everyone with Oled displays has screen burn. So, do we assume that some people got defective models, or do we assume that they are lying about how careful they were. Did they leave the TV on with CNN all day every day for months and months, or did that CNN logo really get burnt in within hours of "normal use" as they claim??? We may never know.
Wow, you have LG's OLED 77" C9 & you also have (2) two 65" C9's? Is that correct? I really like the 77" C9, but price was $7,000 or $8,000 on sale if I recall, so ended up getting the 65" C9 for CAD $2,499. Great TV the C9's.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
No display still look as good as day 1 after 10 years of use! Regardless of its panel tech, LCD+CFL, LCD+LED, or OLED!
The CFL backlight will fade or completely fail. The LC (liquid crystal) valves will fail/be stuck/slow-down.
The LED backlight will fade and/or fail in various ways (partial rows will fail, some cells will fail (generating hotspots - mostly DirectLED or FALD)).
The OLED cells will also fade naturally, or will fail in various ways (stuck, hot pixel, dark pixel), or will temporarily or permanently burn-in.

You can see the life span of the 2018-2019-2020 LG WOLED panels in the attachment - calculated for various daily watch time, 4h/day, 8h/day, 12h/day, and for various measured brightness levels during the lifetime (LTxx) of the panel.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
No display still look as good as day 1 after 10 years of use! Regardless of its panel tech, LCD+CFL, LCD+LED, or OLED!
The CFL backlight will fade or completely fail. The LC (liquid crystal) valves will fail/be stuck/slow-down.
The LED backlight will fade and/or fail in various ways (partial rows will fail, some cells will fail (generating hotspots - mostly DirectLED or FALD)).
The OLED cells will also fade naturally, or will fail in various ways (stuck, hot pixel, dark pixel), or will temporarily or permanently burn-in.

You can see the life span of the 2018-2019-2020 LG WOLED panels in the attachment - calculated for various daily watch time, 4h/day, 8h/day, 12h/day, and for various measured brightness levels during the lifetime (LTxx) of the panel.
Fortunately most of us who are involved in any sort of sites like this are always chasing the latest New Tech Dragon anyways so we almost never see these panels fail.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Unfortunately OLED burn in or image retention has been an issue for me, thing is this is with the YouTube app on the Tele, I’ve got the YouTube Squares both left and right of the screen. Thing is it goes to the screen saver so its not static for that long.

Pixel refresher does not do a thing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can someone confirm that if OLED computer monitors are not widely available now is because of this burn-in issue ?

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
Can someone confirm that if OLED computer monitors are not widely available now is because of this burn-in issue ?
We don't know; that certainly could be the case.

But note that OLED screens are widely used in phones, where the interface literally is the same and unchanging a large proportion of the time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Were they really planning to do that originally? I can't imagine how swapping out a panel in-home is cost-effective or in any way common for this type of situation. If anything I'd imagine they'd take the burned one back for refurbishing in a controlled environment.
Had a pixel burn out on my E7, they came out changed the screen, took about 8 minutes including mounting and unmounting off the wall.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Unfortunately OLED burn in or image retention has been an issue for me, thing is this is with the YouTube app on the Tele, I’ve got the YouTube Squares both left and right of the screen. Thing is it goes to the screen saver so its not static for that long.

Pixel refresher does not do a thing.
What TV brand and what model?

521 - 540 of 545 Posts