AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to the size of my "home theater" room I need a 7.1 system and already ran all the wiring before drywalling the basement etc. room is 12'x30' with main seating and projector at 15 ft from screen. rear speakers are 15 ft behind the seating, fronts are 15' in front and middle are adjcent to the seating area all will be mounted on top of wall by ceiling. I also insulated all walls and ceiling when doing basement including interior walls

It seems that going with a 7.1 system really reduces the choices for entry level system. I did read some of the thread on the 5300 but did not find a lot of info here on the 6300...

I have it on order from Amazon for $500 with free 2 day shipping. Just wandering if this is the best value for the price or if there is something better. Also, for all the folks having had problems buying and shipping online I have to say you must not have used Amazon as they provide free prepaid hassle free returns and have outstanding customer service at least from my own experience...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got my HT-S6300 a few days ago via Amazon. like it so far, though carpet get installed next Friday so am waiting till after that to really play with it.... The Audyssey mic setup thing is amazing. that and the 1080 upscaling are worth the extra $50 over the 5300 IMHO... HDMI pass through and on screen menus work fine too...

my negatives so far are minor as listed:

No remote codes for any Front Projectors including my Epson 8350. Onkyo customer service said the only codes they have are in the included book. Have not got a reply from epson yet...

No guard on the bottom of the subwoofer.... I have a 2 and 4 year old... will prob fabricate something .

plastic housings for speakers feels cheap...

Included speaker wire is crap like 22 or 24 gauge but I had already ran 16g for all my speakers so no worries there...

Pics will come once room is finished. its setup for 7.1

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm considering this system as well. I'm trying to understand how significantly different a HTIB system such as this one would be from building individual components. I'm considering this due to cost and the Onkyo name, but I'm new at all of this. I also need it to be multi-zone which I believe it is. Is there a better system I should look at if my budget for a multizone reciever and speakers is around $650?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by calcio22 /forum/post/19660796

I'm considering this system as well. I'm trying to understand how significantly different a HTIB system such as this one would be from building individual components. I'm considering this due to cost and the Onkyo name, but I'm new at all of this. I also need it to be multi-zone which I believe it is. Is there a better system I should look at if my budget for a multizone reciever and speakers is around $650?

For $500 range I don't think you can beat this unit for a 7.1 system. but for $700 range its possible to get some nicer speakers. This receiver seems to have all the bells and whistles on it but to make the price point I think they skimp on the speakers. You can always upgrade speakers later if you are not satisfied with them. yes it has a second zone feature on it...

·
Registered
17 Posts
DJ,

Thanks for your reply. It does seem like a very good price. I should not that I don't need the 7 speakers, but only the 5.1 for the media room. Is there a better option that you know of that can give me a multi-zone receiver with only a 5.1 speaker set? The other two speakers this set comes with won't be used as the other zone is going to use in-ceiling speakers from Klipsh (I think).

I could just be making stuff up, but just checking.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the money you are willing to spend there is a huge selection of 5.1 choices and the Kipslich (sp) are an excellent speaker brand. if you do get 7.1 you can do high front left and high front right in addition to the standard front left and right instead of putting the extra 2 speakers in the rear. this receiver is setup for doing that layout too

·
Registered
17 Posts
DJ,

Thanks. I'm not interested in doing a 7.1 setup in the media room since I'm already wired for 5.1 and i think that's more than enough for what I need. I was looking at the Onkyo S6300 b/c of its multi-zone receiver. If I went with a 5.1 setup, but is their a reasonable multi-zone receiver you would recommend? I don't seem to know how to search for them - or don't search the right sites.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im a newbie to home theater so can only comment on what I have... really depends if you just want a surround sound system or are you an audiophile who is picky about how"perfect" the sound is??? sorry I can't be more help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Newegg just had the Ht-S7300 on sale for $599, it regularly sells for $899. I'm new to this huge home theater/projector thing and after a few issues with another HTIB i felt this was the way to go. Never been as pleased with a speaker set.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a onkyo HTS7300 and so far am very pleased. Factory speakers seem ok and the "toys" seem to work well. Mine came from Vanns.com and I found one in the clearance section that was an even better deal. I havent used the 1080 upscaling yet, but its nice to know that the old movies I still have won't have to be replaced. I'm using the reciever to switch all sources and so far it has been relatively easy to figure out and set up.

All of that being said i do have to return the sub. I think the speaker is blown. But, Onkyo is fixing it for free and Vanns is covering the shipping vs. me shipping them the whole system back.

I'm on the fence about the set up. I'm in the proces of finishing the basement and can't decide wether to do the additional rears or the high fronts. That's the good thing though about still working on the basement. I can try different setups and then build it in later.

DJ

·
Registered
9,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by runerx /forum/post/19684521

I'm on the fence about the set up. I'm in the proces of finishing the basement and can't decide wether to do the additional rears or the high fronts. That's the good thing though about still working on the basement. I can try different setups and then build it in later.

DJ

Hi runerx, here is something to think also.

Suggest maybe getting two additional speaker and have both setup. Then you would have an option to switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac7504
Does this have standby pass through, and an on screen GUI (overlay)?

Disregard, I found that it does have a pass through feature.
Do you have to do something to enable standby pass through? I just got the 6300 a few days ago but standby pass through does not seem to be working--when I turn off the receiver, my TV goes blank and shows "No signal". I can't find any info regarding standby pass through in the official Onkyo documentation or website, but I've seen several customer reviews commenting that the feature does exist on the 6300 receiver.

I'm a complete newb when it comes to home audio, so I apologize in advance if my questions are somewhat basic, but there are a few other issues/questions that I'd appreciate if anyone could help me out with. I've read as much as I can find on these topics, but still feel unsure about what to do.

I've only used the 6300 system for a few hours with movies and music, but I'm pretty disappointed in the quality of sound from the speakers. Admittedly, I'm using the included 22 gauge wires at the moment, but I can't imagine that upgrading to 16 gauge is going to make such a dramatic difference that I will find the speakers acceptable. The features on the 6300 receiver are great, the subwoofer seems fine (though I have no other experience with subwoofers for comparison), and the iPhone doc is a nice bonus. But if I turn down the subwoofer, the 6300 speakers sound no better than my TV's speakers (LG 60PK550). Perhaps I'm exaggerating a little, but the 6300 speakers really seem subpar in comparison to the receiver and subwoofer. I feel like I basically just purchased a receiver and a subwoofer for $500. I'm considering upgrading the front 3 speakers versus returning the 6300 and going the DIY route instead. My main holdup right now is that I'm having trouble figuring out which receiver to purchase if I go the DIY route.

The Panasonic 1020 seems nice, but does not have standby pass through (or so I've read). The Onkyo 608 seems to have all the features I want, but the "video processing glitch" which affects blue-ray 1080/24p and can only be defeated by disabling the OSD is a deal breaker for me.

I guess if anyone can answer any or all of the following questions, I'd greatly appreciate it:

1) How does the subwoofer in the 6300 compare to separately purchased subwoofers in the $100-200 range?

2) Is $500 (what I paid for the 6300) a decent price to pay for just the receiver and subwoofer, since those are essentially the only things I would be using from the 6300? (I might continue using the surround speakers for now since they are included, but I would definitely want to upgrade the front three speakers on the 6300.)

3) If not, what receiver/subwoofer combo would you recommend instead that would be as good or better than those in the 6300? I'd really like to have the standby pass through feature, and it'd be nice to have the option of using 7.1 in the future, though I will be fine using 5.1 or even 3.1 for now. Also, I'm not sure how important receiver power is (and reading up on the topic on AVR has only confused me more since different manufacturers report it differently), but the receiver in the Onkyo 6300 seems to have a decent amount of power compared to the Panny 1020 and Onkyo 608.

4) I picked up a Yamaha HTR-5063 (similar to the Yamaha RX-V567) from Costco since I read it has standby passthrough and seems to have most of the features I want in an AVR. Any thoughts on how this compares to the receiver in the 6300? I read what I can find on it, but still not sure if the HTR-5063/RX-V567 is a step down from the 6300 receiver. (Haven't set up the Yamaha yet, and figured I'd check online first to see if it's even worth bothering with.)

5) How do you enable standby pass through on the 6300 receiver???

Sorry for the long-winded post, and thanks in advance to anyone who manages to read the entire thing or can offer insight into my situation. I'll be gone for a few days for the holidays, but I'll check back next week. Thanks again!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have not found the any standby pass through feature on the 6300. Definitely the 24ga wire sucks and you should notice a difference with 16ga wire.... esp if you plan to use better speakers in the future. big drop in resistance results in more clean power to the speakers.

run the Audessy setup with the mic then you can go back and adjust each speaker individually from you viewing position to get the best setup. you can also shift all the values up to +db values and adjust accordingly. this will increase the volume output at each set number on the volume control. I do agree that the surround speakers is where they skimped in order to get to a price point. But the receiver seems like a good value to me for 7.1 system. its hard to compare a 5.1 to a 7.1 on price as there is so many more choices and thus competition for 5.1 receivers...

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soutthpaw /forum/post/19703141

I have not found the any standby pass through feature on the 6300. Definitely the 24ga wire sucks and you should notice a difference with 16ga wire.... esp if you plan to use better speakers in the future. big drop in resistance results in more clean power to the speakers.

run the Audessy setup with the mic then you can go back and adjust each speaker individually from you viewing position to get the best setup. you can also shift all the values up to +db values and adjust accordingly. this will increase the volume output at each set number on the volume control. I do agree that the surround speakers is where they skimped in order to get to a price point. But the receiver seems like a good value to me for 7.1 system. its hard to compare a 5.1 to a 7.1 on price as there is so many more choices and thus competition for 5.1 receivers...

Thanks for the reply. In light of the lack of standby pass through and the speaker performance, I think I'll return the 6300 and get a separate receiver and 3.1 speakers. I'll probably stick with the Yamaha receiver for now since it's from Costco and they are good with returns at any time. I actually wouldn't mind getting a 5.1 only (not 7.1) receiver since I doubt 7.1 will make much of a difference, nor will I be getting all 7 speakers anytime soon, but I'll need to read up on receivers some more. And speakers and subwoofers as well. Thanks again for your input!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumnewbie
im also curious to know how the 6300/7300 sub stacks up to other subs in the $200 price range
Just following up on my post from earlier and providing an update on my experiences (and addressing your question). Keep in mind that I am new to audio equipment, and up until a month or so ago when I began reading the audio section on AVS forum, I had very little knowledge or experience (and still have very little knowledge and experience). I recently purchased another AVR and speakers/subwoofer to compare to the Onkyo 6300.

The receiver I am using is the Yamaha HTR-5063 from Costco and the subwoofer is the BIC F12 ordered online from BLT, which combined cost me the exact same amount as the 6300 HTIB. (And most on here would probably say that the Yamaha 5063 is not the best "bang-for-your-buck" in its price range and would opt for similarly-priced Onkyo or Pioneer models. Or you could even get a cheaper receiver, depending on what features are important to you. The only reason I am using the Yamaha at the moment is because it has standby pass through and I got it from Costco, which has a no-time-limit risk-free trial/return policy.)

I also got a set of four Polk Monitor 50 tower speakers and a Polk CS1 from Newegg for 60% off MSRP to complete the 5.1 setup (and bringing my total to just under $900--but you could easily bring that amount down by buying a cheaper AVR or surround speakers).

1) I first tried the Onkyo 6300 complete package to refresh my memory of what it sounded like. A little music, movies, and some gaming.

2) Then I tried the Yamaha AVR with the Onkyo 6300 speakers/subwoofer--no improvement or change in sound quality basically (no surprise there).

3) I then tried the Polk speakers with the Yamaha AVR. The difference was night and day. Obviously a huge improvement in sound (no surprise there either). Even without a subwoofer, the Polk speakers alone made for a very enjoyable home theater experience, much more so than the Onkyo 6300.

4) I then tried the Polk/Yamaha setup with the Onkyo subwoofer. Not bad, but only a modest improvement in overall enjoyment (compared to the Polk speakers alone). But I could never get the Onkyo sub volume to sound right, even after using the calibration mics on either receiver. At times, it sounded overpoweringly loud, while at other times it seemed almost nonexistant.

5) Then I tried the Polk/Yamaha setup with the BIC F12. Absolutely amazing!! The BIC sounds much much deeper than the 6300 sub and really feels like its rumbling throughout the room. Bottom line--the BIC F12 is unbelievably better than the sub in the 6300 (at least in my experience, and seems like many others on this forum have had great experiences with it as well).

Anyway, if someone has a budget of $500 and does not plan on spending a penny more, then I guess the Onkyo 6300 may be a decent buy since it includes all the components/speakers for 7.1 sound and the AVR has most of the latest features. Just know that you are taking a big hit when it comes to speaker/sub sound quality. (And I would still at least consider looking into other AVR+speaker packages that people on these forums have mentioned that are similar in price but have better speakers than the 6300).

If however, someone is thinking of using the 6300 receiver and subwoofer, and pairing them with upgraded speakers, then I really think they would be better off just buying an AVR and (much better) subwoofer separately, since both can be bought for the same price or cheaper than the 6300.

Sorry for the crazy long post--hope this helps other audio newbs considering a HTIB.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok I am going to say that the one thing that really ticks me off about this setup thus far is that Onkyo provides ZERO remote codes for any Epson front projector
. As far as i can tell there is no projector listings anywhere in their remote code book. Also I emailed customer support and they told me that the only codes they have are the ones in the supplied code book. Thought I like the rest of the system I am giving them a big FAIL for not providing any codes for a very common component of home theater systems. I don't even need all the functions but I would like to be able to turn the projector on and off with the Onkyo remote. At this point I am looking at getting a Logitech Harmony to consolidate my collection of remote controls

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.