Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
The internet is a wonderful tool.....

Quote:
OPPO Digital, Inc., based in Mountain View, CA, in the heart of the Silicon Valley, is a leading maker of next-generation digital electronics, dedicated to enriching people's digital lifestyles with technology and innovation. OPPO markets a comprehensive portfolio of high-quality DVD players, DVD recorders, home theatre systems, LCD TVs and portable DVD players.

The digital revolution is on. OPPO's quality/cost ratio can make this revolution universal. The OPPO brand's unprecedented value means that virtually every household can afford the very best in home entertainment: cinema-quality and concert-quality digital imagery and sound.

Discover OPPO's unique combination of performance and value.
http://www.oppodigital.com/about.html

Where the product is made is a different matter, of course....

·
Registered
359 Posts
I found the following information posted by Kris Deering at Secrets of Home Theater and HiFi, and several other internet sources that look credible: Oppo Digital is the recently started North American "branch" or "offspring" of BBK Electronics, a large Chinese consumer electronics company.

For example:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/oppo...dvd_player.htm
Quote:
So who is Oppo? They certainly are not a household name and with good reason as Oppo is a newly created North American branch of BBK Electronics of China, a giant in the manufacture of consumer electronics, employing 12,000 people worldwide. So while Oppo is a new name, the company and the technology behind it are quite substantial.

Oppo's task in North America is to build the Oppo brand by focusing on quality and customer support. You will not find this product at a local store just yet. Oppo wants to build demand by first establishing its reputation. To do this, it wants some firsthand experience with its customers and the fastest way to get it is to sell direct.
http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/tec...l-dv-971h.html
Quote:
OPPO Digital are based in Mountain View, CA and are the US arm of BBK Electronics who are a huge Chinese market leader and who have been a private label OEM for companies such as Denon, NEC and BOSE. Manufacturing all sorts of electronics gear, BBK Electronics is a market leader in China and looking to expand globally hence the creation of their North American arm – OPPO Digital.
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/cgi-b...unction=search
Quote:
The 971H is the premier DVD player from a brand new company here in the US: Oppo Digital. The company is a spring off from the electronics giant, BBK Electronics. BBK has been in the business for a long time and is a world leader in the electronics field with total manufacturing output matching Sony and Matsushita. If the 971H is any indication, we have a lot to look forward to from Oppo Digital.
In the "you learn something new every day" category: according to at least one web site (dvdactive.com), the parent company of Oppo has been a "private label" manufacturer for both Bose and Denon. Now, that concept may liven up this thread. :eek: :p

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Oh my, the scandal that could erupt..... The almighty Denon buys and re-labels some of their equipment ?!?!

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fttd
80% of the world DVD players were produced by BBK
And you source for this is.....?

I have owned over a dozen DVD players since April of 1997, and I can safely tell you that none were made by BBK.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S
I have owned over a dozen DVD players since April of 1997, and I can safely tell you that none were made by BBK.
I'm curious how you know who actually produced them.

·
Registered
4,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hall
I'm curious how you know who actually produced them.
Its not really that hard.

I'm going to go by memory, so I'm sure I will miss some players that I've owned:

Toshiba SD-3107 OEM by Toshiba

Toshiba SD-3109 OEM by Toshiba

Sony DVPNS-7700 OEM by Sony

Panasonic RP-56K OEM by Panasonic

Panasonic RP-91k OEM by Panasonic

Panasonic XP-50 OEM by Panasonic

Panasonic XP-30 OEM by Panasonic

Denon DVD-1600 OEM by Panasonic, some Denon audio improvements

Norcent DVP501M OEM by LiteOn

Pioneer DV578A OEM by Pioneer

Denon DVD-3910 OEM by Denon

I'm anxious for you to tell me which ones were actually made by BBK.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Why do you think almost all of those companies produce their own hardware ?? Also, when and where did *I* suggest anything you owned was made by BBK ??

·
Registered
212 Posts
As far as what matters for me, all I care is that when I email or call OPPO, someone at their Mountain View, CA office actually replies to my email or answers my phone call. For this alone I do not care what their brand origin is. When I had to service my Denon, my phone calls were put on hold for more than an hour with nobody answering, and email just disappeared in the cyberspace.

In terms of DVD player manufacturing, Toshiba is mostly OEM'ed from Orion of Thailand, Sony by a Taiwan-based company (I forgot the name), Panasonic by their joint venture HuaLu DaLian in northern China, and OPPO by BBK.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.