AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mean for upconverting standard dvds........I want to buy the Oppo for upconverting SD-DVDs but I was wondering if the Toshiba HDDVD players upconvert them better???

If so I think I might just save a bit longer and just get the HD-DVD player

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
It depends on which Toshiba HD DVD player you're talking about. The XA2 is one of the best upconverting DVD players on the market right now.

·
Registered
776 Posts
What about the A2 and the Oppo971?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so that seems to be the consensus, huh ? would you say the pq is slightly better or definitely head and shoulders above the oppo 981 ? I guess its worth the difference in cost since it plays hddvds too

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah, I was wondering if anyone had compared the A2.......don't feel like spending a grand on the xa2.......or what the comparions are to the 3 toshiba players or advantages other than one being able to show 1080p upscaling.

·
Registered
16,167 Posts
I doubt any upscaling player is head and shoulders above another (differences are more subtle than major). IMO, the A2 is worth it since it also plays HD-DVDs. The XA2 adds better PQ, especially for upscaling SD DVDs, plus 1080p output and 5.1 analog outs.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericc1 /forum/post/0

yeah, I was wondering if anyone had compared the A2.......don't feel like spending a grand on the xa2.......or what the comparions are to the 3 toshiba players or advantages other than one being able to show 1080p upscaling.

It's currently at or around $570 depending on where you buy.

It's the BEST DVD player, next to the Denon 2930CI which costs a bit more ($800 new, or $600ish "B" stock or refurbished)

If you REALLY care about PQ, there's no doubt about the XA2, or Denon 2930CI is your best choice. None of the Oppos are in the same league as these two. Although the Oppos are REALLY nice players, and if you had a strict budget, I'd go Oppo hands down.

For double the price of the 981, you're getting better up converting, AND HD-DVD playback.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Performance wise from what I hear, the HD-DVD player will do the best job right now... but for the best price, Oppo isn't eating the HD-DVD's players dust. Oppo holds up very very well... especially with the price comparison.

·
Registered
584 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman /forum/post/0

Performance wise from what I hear, the HD-DVD player will do the best job right now... but for the best price, Oppo isn't eating the HD-DVD's players dust. Oppo holds up very very well... especially with the price comparison.

I agree.. but for $250 more dollars, I'd rather get HD-DVD and one of the best up converting players out there..

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP /forum/post/0

I doubt any upscaling player is head and shoulders above another (differences are more subtle than major). IMO, the A2 is worth it since it also plays HD-DVDs. The XA2 adds better PQ, especially for upscaling SD DVDs, plus 1080p output and 5.1 analog outs.

Excuses my noobiness, but why is the 5.1 analog so important? Are older recievers useless with the A2? I have an Onkyo TX-DS575X. Would it be useless for a A2?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog /forum/post/0

Excuses my noobiness, but why is the 5.1 analog so important? Are older recievers useless with the A2? I have an Onkyo TX-DS575X. Would it be useless for a A2?

You would not be able to take advantage of the new Hi-rez sound available on HD DVDs. You need either an HDMI capable receiver or pre/pro or a player that outputs 5.1 analog for older receivers and pre/pros that don't have HDMI. The XA2 does both by the way (outputs HDMI and analog)

·
Registered
16,167 Posts
The A2, for example, only has 2-channel analog outs, so if you have a receiver that does not have HDMI input, you will not get the benefit of multichannel Hi-rez audio with the A2. If your receiver has HDMI, then it's not an issue.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts

Quote:

I have the Toshiba A1 and a Samsung Upconverting player, let me tell you the Toshiba destroys the Samsung, no comparison.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Quote:

The A2, for example, only has 2-channel analog outs, so if you have a receiver that does not have HDMI input, you will not get the benefit of multichannel Hi-rez audio with the A2. If your receiver has HDMI, then it's not an issue.

Sorry, I'm not following. What if you hooked up through optical? Wouldn't you get 5.1 DD? I have goten DD on every DVD player I have ever used using optical or coaxial. As long as get that format of sound, I'd be happy with the player.

·
Registered
15,131 Posts
I've used just about all of the players mentioned for SD DVD. I'm currently using the HD-A2 for SD DVD also. I prefer it over both Oppos; I used to have the Denon 2930 which uses the Reon and it is a bit better than the HD-A2. But, as BillP mentioned, the differences are relatively subtle. I find the HD-A2 a bit sharper, but the Reon is a bit cleaner and smoother. Also, too, I found the 2930 to have better gamma detail a little more color "pop" than the HD-A2 - however, I don't know if this is due to the chipset or some other factor of the player such as the MPEG decoder, power supply, etc.

·
Registered
537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr-Sog /forum/post/0

Sorry, I'm not following. What if you hooked up through optical? Wouldn't you get 5.1 DD? I have goten DD on every DVD player I have ever used using optical or coaxial. As long as get that format of sound, I'd be happy with the player.

From reading the prior posts, it looks like that the newer lossless audio formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA) can't be sent via the normal optical outputs, I think...

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabt /forum/post/0

From reading the prior posts,
Quote:
it looks like that the newer lossless audio formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA) can't be sent via the normal optical outputs,

I think...

You are correct. For full multichannel use of the audio formats it is either HDMI or analog. FYI: No player (HD DVD or Blu-ray) at the moment can decode DTS-HD MA.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.