AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a great new aftermarket cooler for my Q6600. The cores now run at a chilly 30C and I am looking forward to overclocking the heck out of it. I am just curious whether or not I should overclock the ram as well. I have read in a few places that even though the memory and CPU speed are connected overclocking the ram doesn't add much to performance gains.

I have Corsair 800mhz ddr2 ram with heatsinks attatched. Even though I am pretty sure this ram should be able to handle being overclocked due to the heat sinks I would rather not mess with it if the performance gains aren't significant.

·
Registered
8,518 Posts
You should be able to get 3.3-3.6ghz with not much trouble as long as you have a decent board with that setup. I run my q6600 in my upstairs rig to 3.5 with only ram voltage changes and everything else on auto.

Give it the business! OC the crap outta that baby!

·
Registered
19,306 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRT Dude /forum/post/18141774

I don't think you can run the RAM slower than 1:1 so if you want to push the FSB past 200MHZ you'll have to overclock the RAM.

But yes, faster RAM does very little outside of synthetic benchmarks .

Yes, you can run your ram slower than 1:1, many people do depending on your hardware. Most people don't even run their ram at spec let alone overclock it, that's because their machine runs it at the wrong clock speed. You should read off the ram packaging what the clock speed is and see if you can run it at the supplied speed and take it from there. I am at clock speed, but if I try to go faster I lock up.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep according to cpu-z its running in dual channel mode 400 mhz per channel for the full 800. I think it should do well handling the heat from an overclock. I'm gonna start at like 15% overclock of both and if the ram can't handle that I'll just unlink them and only bother with the cpu.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I went into the bios and started messing with the setting for overclocking. I started at 3ghz for the processor but when I booted into windows everything was running at stock speed. I tried a few different things and each time by the time tahe computer booted into windows all my settings had been reset. It doesn't seem to do this to any other bios setup settings I change just the ones having to do with overclocking. I am completely at a loss as to why this would happen... Can anyone help me out?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.