AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in different places that PAL has 560, 576 or 600 lines of resolution. Anyway, it has more than NTSC. If this is the case should I get a PAL DVD player and start buying PAL DVDs? It would be a relatively easy way to get about 100 extra lines of resolution and my LP350 will accept PAL.

------------------

Christopher Young

Seattle, WA

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm in Europe and so I use PAL by default.

To give a short answer, YES PAL is better than NTSC (which makes sense, considering that PAL was "invented" after NTSC and it's an improved TV system).

1.PAL has more lines than NTSC (576 VISIBLE lines, 625 total)

2.It's 25 frames per second so it doesn't need any 3:2 pulldown conversion.25 fps and 24 fps of film are very close so your movie will play a little bit faster (very very little bit) than the film.

John

·
Registered
287 Posts
Chris,

This is offtopic and really belongs in 'DVD, LD, VHS Software and Hardware', but...

For 24fps film,

PAL playback is always too fast and sound is always off-pitch. Some are more annoyed by this than others.

NTSC with a 60hz display will always have the 3-2 stutter.

PAL is capable of providing higher resolution. However, depending on the dvd production execution, perceived resolution can go either way. Typically, NTSC mastering ends up being equal or better. As always, there are exceptions. I believe Armageddon is one in particular. (LBX NTSC vs. Anamorphic PAL, not much of a contest)

The quality of the transfer depends mostly on the details of production, not necessarily on the format alone.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JSC (edited 05-15-2001).]

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put this topic here because I am interested in squeezing as much performance out of my DLP projector.

If PAL has 576 visible lines that would be a perfect match for the 576 visible lines of my LP350 when it is in anamorphic mode.

Has anybody tried PAL on the LP350?

------------------

Christopher Young

Seattle, WA

·
Registered
358 Posts
Jeff, the 4% speed-up is a complete non-issue to everyone except the unfortunate few who suffer from golden ears syndrome - it's great if you know one, they're fantastic at calibrating your sound system http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . Does anyone know if this speedup also occurs for the broadcast of movies on television in Europe I would presume it does - yet I have never heard anyone complain about it.

The main factors I consider are:

Are both versions anamorphic, if so what are the reviews saying about transfer quality. Are they both available (normally this means going for R1) and thirdly cost, extras etc. Most of my DVDs are R1 because it's easier to find reviews of R1 discs and R2 equivalents don't exist in many cases. I can't say I have really noticed the extra resolution of PAL - but then again I don't think I have golden eyes either.

Ian

·
Registered
160 Posts
Since our projectors have been calibrated for NTSC, I assume that we would need to perform a seperate calibration for PAL. (Besides resolution, I believe the colors are different.) Are there PAL versions of VE and Avia available?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.