Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to know if this is good or bad?

What is the PROs and CONs to this setup?

What will I be able to do as far as connections?

What won't I be able to do?

Do you recommend something different or better?

Thanks Dave.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Dave,

The upcoming and repeatedly delayed Zenith DTV1080 might be a better choice for an STB; however, determining the actual release date is about as difficult as picking the winning lottery numbers. Check the threads over at HDTV Hardware.

I have the Pan 42 and am awaiting the release of the Zenith.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Cheridave,

I have that setup now along with the Panasonic RP-91K and all I can say is a big NON-technical WOW!!! I used the PC input to feed HDTV from the TU-HDS20 to the Panny Plasma since I haven't got around to a switchable Component unit to allow BOTH the TU-HDS20 and the DVD-RP91 to be connected to the single Plasma component input.

I sent the TU-HDS20 to Elgin for the fan/dropout mods and improvement is 100%. Most likely the units manufactured after August 01 have the mods already incorporated in the units.

Any specific questions I can help with?

·
Registered
44 Posts

Originally posted by k1uo

Cheridave,

I have that setup now along with the Panasonic RP-91K and all I can say is a big NON-technical WOW!!! I used the PC input to feed HDTV from the TU-HDS20 to the Panny Plasma since I haven't got around to a switchable Component unit to allow BOTH the TU-HDS20 and the DVD-RP91 to be connected to the single Plasma component input.

Let me get this straight. So are you saying that there IS a VGA output on the back of the TU-HDS20 that you can then connect to your plasma via a VGA cable (15-pin to 15-pin)? Because I have the same setup as you (Panny plasma and RP-91), but I have not purchased the TU-HDS20, thinking that it does not have this method of output, and my receiver also does not have component switching. Thanks for your hlep.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I purchased a 6ft cable that converts the TU-HDS20 RGBHV outputs to a 15 pin VGA input of the Panny TH42PWD3. works great...no noticable signal degradation at all but I do have to switch the INPUT mode on the Plasma when changing the viewing from DVD's to the TU-HDS20 from Component to PC input.

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply. I do have the Onkyo 696 receiver and it does do component switching, so that is not a problem. But you guys agree that this is a good combo? The TU-HDS20 is working okay with no major issues?

Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
44 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by k1uo
I purchased a 6ft cable that converts the TU-HDS20 RGBHV outputs to a 15 pin VGA input of the Panny TH42PWD3. works great...no noticable signal degradation at all but I do have to switch the INPUT mode on the Plasma when changing the viewing from DVD's to the TU-HDS20 from Component to PC input.

Could you tell me where you bought this cable/converter from? Thanks

·
Registered
49 Posts
The only hiccups I've had with the TU-hds20 is getting it hosed up because of bonehead things I was experimenting with.:D Like I said, after sending in my unit, which was manufactured in June, to Panasonic at Elgin, Ill for the fan quieting and updated VSB8 module, I have had NO problems with the unit. I agree with other TU-HDS20 owners....the PQ is the absolute best I have seen from any STB and since the mods, everything seems to run/respond faster also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
cheridave

I just got mine running last night.

The picture is so good (from the Boston HDTV towers I did not move off the bed to go rent a dvd to try out my RP-91.

Our younger son's comment when watching spin city was that he could see the drips of grease on the hair on one of the actors.

My setup is

pwd 42 4uy

tu-hds-20

rp-91

For an antenna I am using a channelmaster 3000a

For connections I went component video (with bnc connectors added to connect to the panel). For the time being to change from tuner to dvd I will have to move wires.

k1uo

Your second cable approach is very nice!

I would also like information about your vga connecter. I have seen vga at one end and bnc at the other (is yours vga on one end and rca component at the other?

For a second cable I am thinking about a component cable with bnc on one end and rca at the other.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The combination works like a dream.

I have a Panny 42" plasma, RP91, TU-HDS20, and Sony 777ES AV receiver to switch the component signals. Fabulous.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Retinal

What are you using with the 777ES to switch the "component" signals? I have a 777ES, and I love it--but would like to add a device to it that allowed component switching.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.