Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Can you please tell me if a Panny RP-56 has the Faroudja chip and what model year would it be?

Looked at Panny site and could'nt find it.

Anybody have one and/or would you recommend it? I'm trying to patch a progressive DVD to my X1. Friend of a friend is selling it and I'm curious if you think I should bother or not.

As always thanks for your help.

Jessica :)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
This Panasonic is what it is : A good cheap dvd player. It(the model) is about 18 mos old. You shouldn't be paying more than 100 or there abouts. Try before you buy if possible. I also think it only has the toslinc output for audio. It's a lot of player for the bucks. Geo

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i've been using one since it streeted in late summer '01 to feed my pj and have had 0 issues with it in regards to PQ.

i wasn't paying attention to this area the last couple years as regarding the 62s, 82s, etc so i never even knew they were out.

frankly i didn't miss 'em either.

some people have complained about a slight chroma bug on the 56s, but i've never seen it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reponses and link;

Was thinking of hunting down an RP-82, but the RP-56 had an "87" score and the RP-82 had a "91".

Is the RP-56 that close in quality to an RP-82?

Sorry if these sound like silly questions but I'd rather have ppl's opinions on a topic that I'm not so sure about.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Jessica,

I had been using my RP-56 w/ my X1 unitl a week or so ago ... and generally loved it.

S-video, no component ...

I ended up going w/ a region-free xp-30 as I wanted to grab one of these before they disappeared, and wanted to go region-free. the R.F. mod for the rp-56 sounded like very dificult surface mount soldering, which I've done and it was painful. and my eyes are older than they were then ...

and it was a great excuse to get the xp-30 w/ the mod already installed ...

I'd had a few slight glitches w/ the '56 -- rough video on pans, pixelation ... I still don't know if it was the PJ, disc, or the player. the XP-30 has been a smoother package.

So. If you're going to obsess on the differences, go w/ the XP-30 or -50 ... (I looked for an rp-82 but couldn't find one) -- other than that, be happy and go w/ the rp-56.

If you're getting it used, it might be a cheap enough experiment which can go in the closet as your backup, when you decide to get another.

Mark

·
Registered
813 Posts
Jessica,

I have both the 56 and the 82 and the video quality of the 56 is quite amazing, period. Not considering the price, not for an entry level unit, it's great compared to anything. Where you can start to nitpick is with the audio and only if you are an anal audiophile (myself included). I haven't seen an XP-series in action so you are on your own as to it's worth compared to these units. The RP82 is very similar in video quality, yet the audio seems much improved to these ears, plus you get DVD-A (if you care about these things) and upsampling.

Currently comparing them to a Movi 2000, results to follow.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Mark & Serg,

A friend of a friend is selling theirs and was curious as to what ppl actually thought, that had used or owned one,

This person is asking $135 USD (to much?) so I think I'll pass and put the money to a diff "Sage" Panny model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.