AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want to get DirecTV but have not been able to get a straight answer on if it requires a phone line or not.

I don't think I am alone in using my cell phone as my only phone and having a cable modem for a home network.

The information I have gotten that is conflicting is that

Person A - I need the phone line period to have direcTV

Person B - I only need the phone line to order PayPerView and sports

Does anyone know for certain which is correct?

Does anyone know of a receiver now or future that has a Cat 5 port?

I don't care about Pay Per View but I would like to be able to buy the NFL package and the Fox Sports Package that would give me like 20 Regioanal Fox Sports channels.

TIA

·
Registered
483 Posts
In a word, NO. I've had DTV for about 3 years now and have NEVER plugged the phone line in. I don't use PPV either, but I don't subscribe to the sports networks.

One thing that did happen. When I wasn't getting the YES network (NY Yankees) which is included, I called DTV. They said I should plug my phone line in and I wojuld get it. When I told them I didn't have a phone line anywhere near my TV, they downloaded the authorization over the satellite. So my point is that they can authorize you for NFL and FOX without the phone, even if they say it is necessary. They won't turn away a paying customer.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Required - Yes per the contract

Needed: If you have one receiver, a phone is not needed except from certain programming (PPV, certain sports packs).

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
D* wants you to have a phone line installed. Sometimes they turn you off if there is no telephone line installed and sometimes they do not. I had a secondary IRD connected for years without a phone line and it was never turned off. On the other hand, I have had numerous clients whose line went bad or whose sat line was disconnected when they upgraded their phone system who had their IRDs turned off by D*.

Alan

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just keep this in mind: The satellite companies can and do set you up without a phone line if you are insistent, or even if you play dumb. Not everyone has a phone line going to their home theater or living room and they know it. They are behind the times on this, with people going cellular full time and with wireless networks at home (which I installed so I wouldn't have a wire snaking through my house). They didn't even argue with me over it, they just did it. If they do argue, tell them you can get digital cable for $$.00 a month (whatever it costs) without this hassle. (Of course the cable companies are always a hassle.)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
There are many ways of getting a phone line without having to run a wire. Diplexing telephone on power lines has been done by satellite installers for years. Many Tivo installations had power line diplexers designed for modems. D* used to require a system test before they would turn you on and if they didn't hear the click, click of the the IRD's modem trying to dial out they would not authorize the box. But, hey, if they will authorize you without the telephone go for it.

Alan

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish they would come out with hardware that uses a Nic card.

It didn't take Tivo very long to figure this out. How long will it take these guys.

Any Mods out there maybe?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by audiblesolutions
Tivo has a NIC? Which model? Everyone I have seen has a USB port. But I have stopped keeping up.

Alan
You are correct, you need a USB to Ethernet cord.

but still...

Get with the times DirecTV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.