AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
More exactly, plasma is just one type of display medium, like "rear projection" or conventional direct view tube television. Many sets that use these mediums (including plasma displays) are capable of displaying HDTV signals.

I hope this helps some. --Karl

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
from what i have scene so far plasma displays cannot compare in picture quality (or even come close) to direct view or projection.

·
Registered
196 Posts
For a review of several new plasma panels and some comments on their ability to display NTSC and DTV signals, go to www.projectorexpert.com and look under "Reviews".

KC

Plasma monitors are just one way to watch TV and DTV signals. They have varying resolutions and picture aspect ratios.

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
They sure are nice over a fireplace taking up no floor space.

------------------

Gary J. Rhine

·
Registered
38 Posts
Savageone, I agree that if size doesn't matter (but it always does) a direct view CRT currently offers the best picture available. This is especially true with standard def or even progressive DVD, where current plasmas have issues with false contouring and black level. However with a HDTV signal, plasmas can look absolutely stunning.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I have to agree with jehelmes. Watching HDnet on a new JVC 50" plasma is an amazing experience. While the 50" plasmas don't display the full 1080 lines of vertical resolution, they are roughly equivalent to 720p. The BIG advantages are PERFECT convergence and PERFECT geometry, plus, because each pixel is indivdually addressed, no loss of horizontal detail because of "modulation transfer function" limitations.

The only major downside is poorer black reproduction than a CRT. Blacks tend to be somewhat noisy, particularly when the entire picture is dark (night scenes and the like). Plasmas are also much less forgiving of noisy analog source material than are CRTs because they reproduce all of the noise without softening it. They are also REAL good at accurately reproducing MPEG artifacts in hammered material like most of the DirecTV standard definition channels.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.