AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be buying a new bigscreen 16:9 TV in about a year. I can't live with DLP rainbows and potentially bad pixels on LCD's are simply unacceptable. 1 bad pixel is TOO MANY! I currently have a several year old 53" 4:3 HD-RPTV and I refuse to go smaller than a 50" 16:9 TV. I don't play videogames and a PC will not be connected to my new/future TV. I always keep my TV's calibrated with AVIA, so burn-in due to torch mode isn't an issue. So, given all this, what are plasma's "issues" that I need to be concerned with?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sounds like you make a good Plasma candidate. Even if you do play games or hook up a PC. It's okay! I do both of those frequently over the past year and have zero problems to show for it.

The only "issue" you may see, coming from a CRT, is less than perfect blacks. Plasmas don't reach pure black in a dark room. LCD's don't either, though.

-- Rob

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
"In about a year" god knows how all the technologies will have changed.

Keep your options open (mentally).

Plasma may be it or DILA may emerge as a contender or who knows what else?

I think in a year I'd even consider plasma, and I have been very against it for a long time .... But technology changes very very quickly.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I plan on buying on the low-end of the price spectrum, I don't suspect much will change for me except for slightly lower prices.

It sucks to hear that plasmas can have bad pixels too. How common is that? What are the most common "bad pixel policies" when it comes to the bigger plasma manufacturers?

In regards to LCD TV's, does anyone know if bad pixels are less common on very large LCD panel TV's vs. little LCD panels in rear projection units?

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
Quote:
Since I plan on buying on the low-end of the price spectrum, I don't suspect much will change for me except for slightly lower prices.

It sucks to hear that plasmas can have bad pixels too. How common is that? What are the most common "bad pixel policies" when it comes to the bigger plasma manufacturers?

In regards to LCD TV's, does anyone know if bad pixels are less common on very large LCD panel TV's vs. little LCD panels in rear projection units?
There will be dramatic technological developments in all of these areas during the next year. Wait at least 10 months and then post this.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you figure, as a rough approximation, that the low end plasmas in a year will catch up to where the mid level plasmas are today, then you can just go to your favorite store and see them. Yes, there may well be a dead pixel or two. If that is a knock-out punch for you, then you should stick with a different technology. In reality, you cannot see an isolated dead pixel with normal viewing material at normal distances.

·
Registered
831 Posts
The panny plamsas have excellent black levels!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
There will be dramatic technological developments in all of these areas during the next year. Wait at least 10 months and then post this.
Such as? How will these dramatic events inpact "entry-level" (such as ED rather than HD) plasmas around 50" in size?

I'm curious, what "dramatic" event has occurred to plasmas since this time last year?

Regarding bad pixels, do ALL plasmas have at least 1? How common are bad pixels on plasmas? Do any companies have ZERO bad pixel policies?

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Banville
Regarding bad pixels, do ALL plasmas have at least 1? How common are bad pixels on plasmas? Do any companies have ZERO bad pixel policies?
Many folks have reported zero bad pixels on plasmas. Some vendors like Visual Apex have excellent return policies and allow you to exchange a plasma if you notice a bad pixel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.