AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I am looking to purchase a Floor-standing speaker, and i came across this promo in crutchfield.com
I really like the look and feel of this one "Polk Audio Signature S60" Floor-standing speaker (Classic Brown Walnut)
It has 126 positive reviews and it seems to be affordable $399/each and its $50 off now.
Do you guys recommend this brand? and model?
or do you suggest anything else within the same budget?
Thanks

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Yes, Polk is better than Bose/Sony.

Crutchfield.com does not ship to Canada, though. Crutchfield.ca doesn't carry the Walnut version of the Signature series, either (I asked why and they told me that they can't for some reason that didn't make any sense). Canadian Crutchfield is pretty useless, so I'd look around at other online retailers - Visions, I think, carries those Polks, too. They might even be able to bring in the finish you want as well (Someone here asked them to bring in the white version of the newer Reserve series, and they we happy to oblige).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Polk is better than Bose/Sony.

Crutchfield.com does not ship to Canada, though. Crutchfield.ca doesn't carry the Walnut version of the Signature series, either (I asked why and they told me that they can't for some reason that didn't make any sense). Canadian Crutchfield is pretty useless, so I'd look around at other online retailers - Visions, I think, carries those Polks, too. They might even be able to bring int he finish you want as well (Someone here asked them to bring in the white version of the newer Reserve series, and they we happy to oblige).
Thanks, Ryan for the feedback. So it is a good brand then.

I was able to find the same product on Ebay.ca as well :
Polk Audio - S55 - Signature Series Floorstanding Speaker Classic Brown - SINGLE

I will reach out

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

Polk Audio - S55 - Signature Series Floorstanding Speaker Classic Brown - SINGLE

I will reach out

It's a decent brand for more budget-minded audio enthusiasts, yes. I have a set of their discontinued RTiA series of speakers - they're all boxed up right now because I changed directions, but they were good to me when I had them set up. They have real wood veneer, which is super rare for speakers at a more budget price point (pretty much every brand under a certain dollar amount uses a vinyl veneer). Some people don't like them at all, but that's more due to people's individual preferences. I believe user @badtlc has a set of the Signatures, and could fill you in on how they perform more than I could. All I know is you should avoid the S35 centre channel. While it has 6 woofers, they are only 3.5" and will sound awfully thin/weak. Go with the S30 instead if you wanted to stick with the same brand all around.

That being said, what kind of budget are you looking at? Not to dissuade you from going with those Polks, but there could be other options available to look at as well.

Reactions: King of Kings

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
It's a decent brand for more budget-minded audio enthusiasts, yes. I have a set of their discontinued RTiA series of speakers - they're all boxed up right now because I changed directions, but they were good to me when I had them set up. They have real wood veneer, which is super rare for speakers at a more budget price point (pretty much every brand under a certain dollar amount uses a vinyl veneer). Some people don't like them at all, but that's more due to people's individual preferences. I believe user @badtlc has a set of the Signatures, and could fill you in on how they perform more than I could. All I know is you should avoid the S35 centre channel. While it has 6 woofers, they are only 3.5" and will sound awfully thin/weak. Go with the S30 instead if you wanted to stick with the same brand all around.

That being said, what kind of budget are you looking at? Not to dissuade you from going with those Polks, but there could be other options available to look at as well.
I'm a big fan of the signature towers for the value and performance. They are a nice neutral speaker and can run up to about -5 to -3dB on the Master Volume. I'd recommend giving them a try if someone is interested.

Does crutchfield have a nice return policy in canada?

·
Registered
23,694 Posts
Polk Outlet has the white S60 for even less, $300 ea.

And even better the S50 for just $150 ea. if you can wait for them to restock:

If you don't have a sub, I'd sooner get the S50 and spend the price difference on a subwoofer.

Hi Guys,
I am looking to purchase a Floor-standing speaker, and i came across this promo in crutchfield.com
I really like the look and feel of this one "Polk Audio Signature S60" Floor-standing speaker (Classic Brown Walnut)
It has 126 positive reviews and it seems to be affordable $399/each and its $50 off now.
Do you guys recommend this brand? and model?
or do you suggest anything else within the same budget?
Thanks

Reactions: Five28

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

This is great Ryan, Thanks.
Oh wow "real wood veneer" sounds interesting.
My budget is around $1,200

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a big fan of the signature towers for the value and performance. They are a nice neutral speaker and can run up to about -5 to -3dB on the Master Volume. I'd recommend giving them a try if someone is interested.

Does crutchfield have a nice return policy in canada?
Thank you @badtlc according to Ryan, they don't have this item in Canada, so I might go with ebay.ca instead.
Thanks for the recommendation

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
This is great Ryan, Thanks.
Oh wow "real wood veneer" sounds interesting.
My budget is around $1,200
The real wood veneers are reserved for the higher-tiered speakers, so it was surprising to see that in a "budget" speaker. It was honestly one of the drawing points for me since I can't stand the basic black speaker finish.

Would that be $1200 for the whole kit (i.e. 5.1) or are you just looking for a 2ch/2.1ch setup?

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Thank you @badtlc according to Ryan, they don't have this item in Canada, so I might go with ebay.ca instead.
Thanks for the recommendation
The Signatures are readily available in Canada, but only in the black finish. If you're looking for the (IMO) nicer brown walnut, you'll have to do some searching. As I mentioned before, if you talk to Visions, they may be able to bring in the walnut S60s or S55s for you since they brought in the white Polk Reserves for someone else here even though they weren't listed on their site.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts

I will reach out

That's a good quality speaker when on sale ( value wise)...Edit: i do think that a small floorstander from jbl when on sale( like the 570 or a170) will give you equal or better value, you'd just have to be patient for a few weeks... But if you're in a hurry this deal is pretty good...Edit .. Sorry , i didn't see you are in Canada.. Go for the polks...

·
Registered
23,694 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
If you can think outside the box, there are many speaker brands out there and many hidden gems, I am not dissing Polk but they were my first speaker into the hobby and I have since moved on, check out www.canuckaudiomart.ca for speakers for sale in, your area,you may find something nice used, speakers have a horrible resale value so chances of getting used speakers for a great price is possible.

One speaker that comes to mind that is an insane value for performance are the Chane A5.5, they are currently out of stock but are expected back soon, I have owned a previous model of them and for me were much better than the lower end Polk stuff, if you you could find some used LSIM's that would be a good route to take as well, or like mentioned above the Paradigm Monitor towers or the Kef Q750B is on sale at Visions.

Here are a few to check out :cool:

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
If you can think outside the box, there are many speaker brands out there and many hidden gems, I am not dissing Polk but they were my first speaker into the hobby and I have since moved on, check out www.canuckaudiomart.ca for speakers for sale in, your area...
Going this route is never a bad idea. My only issue with CAM right now is there are too many people trying to sell their used equipment at near-full retail.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For the above price, I'd go with the Canadian Paradigm.
Oh wow look at that, it is interesting, Thanks for sharing @edved1
These 2 models are within my budget, i am going to do more research and see which one is better for me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would even take a peek at PSB.
Thanks Ryan,
You were right, others use Veneer rather than real wood.
but look at the Dark Walnut Veneer on this, looks amazing to me.
"out of stock" unfortunatly

1 - 20 of 59 Posts