AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going back and forth between the Onkyo / Jamo package vs the same Onkyo receiver and piecing together a Polk Audio setup. 85% of the use will be for movies / tv while occasionally listening to music on them.


If doing Polk Audio I would do:


CS1 Center Channel

Monitor 50 Floor Speakers

Monitor 30 Surrounds

Onkyo TX-NR509


Total is $590.93 to my door.


The Jamo package seems to have the same speaker sizes, etc.. but it would cost $469.72 to my door.


So given the speaker setups are the same, just different manufacturers.. is going with Polk Audio worth an additional $120? There are tons of reviews on the Polk Audio but only a handful of reviews on the Jamo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfrog /forum/post/0


I'm going back and forth between the Onkyo / Jamo package vs the same Onkyo receiver and piecing together a Polk Audio setup. 85% of the use will be for movies / tv while occasionally listening to music on them.


If doing Polk Audio I would do:


CS1 Center Channel

Monitor 50 Floor Speakers

Monitor 30 Surrounds

Onkyo TX-NR509


Total is $590.93 to my door.


The Jamo package seems to have the same speaker sizes, etc.. but it would cost $469.72 to my door.


So given the speaker setups are the same, just different manufacturers.. is going with Polk Audio worth an additional $120? There are tons of reviews on the Polk Audio but only a handful of reviews on the Jamo.

I would buy the Jamo set and put the savings toward a subwoofer. You will need a sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack_bk /forum/post/20790934


I would buy the Jamo set and put the savings toward a subwoofer. You will need a sub.

+1


That money saved would put you most of the way towards a BIC F12.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a powered Yamaha sub from my current setup. If needs be once I sell this setup I can pick up something else.


So is the Polk worth the extra money?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
That is only for you to know. I think the Jamo are better built. Most people who buy the 60/70 are buying them short term. The Jamo, before Klipsch lobotomized the brand, set was selling for twice the price of the M60/70.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,186 Posts
Which Jamo speakers is he talking about? The s426 or the S606?


The s426 is an entry level speaker perhaps on the same level as the Monitor 50s. The S606 is much better IMO.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
That is a good question, since I see 50(mentally saw 60), I assumed he meant the 606.


Now if the price is the 426...then yes the M50 is the better option...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs /forum/post/0


polk speakers sound dry, get the jamo.

Never heard that before unless you are talking about their lowest line. The monitor line is a vast improvement over polks lowest line and is far from dry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,343 Posts
What does "dry" mean in this context? I've heard the expression before but I'm not clear about what type of sound it describes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,227 Posts
I use the Polk Monitor 60's and CS2 center with an Onkyo 609 and love them. Just my 2 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I have the polk ms60s as well paired with the CS20 center and couldn't be happier...don't know a lot about the jamos though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorMachine /forum/post/20796099


What does "dry" mean in this context? I've heard the expression before but I'm not clear about what type of sound it describes.

As in the mids don't have much "pop" ad the highs are a bit sharp and the overall presentation has little warmth to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
I just bought the Monitor 70 series 2, Monitor 30 series 2, CS2 center and a 15" subwoofer kit from Parts express.

It all sounds Awesome!!! The Monitor 70's are nice speakers and have a great sound to me. Lows, Mids, Highs all sound perfect and the soundstage is perfect. I'm really happy and I got the 70's for $199 each.


I had the BIC F12 before and it sounded pretty good but this 15 is FanTabulous!! It's about to shake my AC duct work down in my basement!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20794947


Which Jamo speakers is he talking about? The s426 or the S606?


The s426 is an entry level speaker perhaps on the same level as the Monitor 50s. The S606 is much better IMO.

Hey sorry I have not updated. The Jamo are the S426. They can be seen here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...86323&csid=_22


I found a link for my existing yamaha setup (Yamaha NS-P220). You can view it here. They do "ok" so it would need to be a worthy upgrade in order for me to justify the $500+ on a new setup. http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio...20/?mode=model


I have decided if I go with the polks I will use Monitor 30's front and rear along with the CS1 center channel. Still up in the air on a sub for either setup.


My existing receiver is a Pioneer VSX 0509S..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,186 Posts
The Jamo S426 is definitely better than two pairs of Monitor 30's and a CS1 and it'll also be much much better than your little Yamaha satellites.


Monitor 50's were a better comparison.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,914 Posts
No matter what you get will be an eye opener.


Between the S426, M50/CS1, S606 and M60/CS2(if you want to spend that much) are all lightyears ahead of the the Yamaha set.


You won't be disappointed with any of those 4 decisions.
 

·
The Village Idiot
Joined
·
9,738 Posts
NewEgg has the Monitor 50 on sale until the 23rd.

The CS1 is also a bargain ATM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/20794947


Which Jamo speakers is he talking about? The s426 or the S606?


The s426 is an entry level speaker perhaps on the same level as the Monitor 50s. The S606 is much better IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/20838423


NewEgg has the Monitor 50 on sale until the 23rd.

The CS1 is also a bargain ATM.

I saw those.. not a fan of cherry though.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top