AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding riser, if your local code requires pressure treated wood when in direct contact with the concrete slab, would using U-Boats allow the use of regular non-treated wood?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't really understand the section of your question about the use of U bolts....but why are you not wanting to use pressure treated wood??

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With U-Boats the wood will not be resting in direct contact with the concrete slab. Other than to save a few $$$, I don't have a problem using pressure treated, just wanted to know which part of the HW store I should be picking up the wood at.

·
Registered
169 Posts
interesting query.

i would venture to say that the only one who could answer this would be your Construction Official. The final determination would be up to him anyway. Get it in writing though, as the inspector may have a different opinion, but the written authorization of the CO will override the Inspectors.

In MY humble opinion i am swayed both ways. the u-boats would prevent direct contact and therefore negate the necessity for pressure treated wood. However, moisture in basements is everywhere even if it appears bone dry, the added protection (at an added cost) that pressure treated offers may be worth it while just for peace of mind.

*Edit* I just realized I made an assumption that you were building in a basement.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I recently spoke with my local inspector about starting my basement project. His reply to the wood on poured concrete questions was, "no white wood can touch poured concrete. This includes floors and walls." He suggested either using pressure treated or inserting some sort of "felt" like material between the wood and the concrete to prevent the pine (in my case 2x4 wall studs) from coming in contact with the concrete. All (or most?) concrete, unless properly sealed, can transmit some water vapor and you do not want that coming in contact with untreated wood.

·
Banned
3,550 Posts
Our contractor used treated lumber everywhere. The builder told me he didn't think it was but then later told me he had used treated. It is in direct contact with the concrete on the floor and on the walls slightly in areas. The wood did not look like regular treated lumber since we got it from a lumber yard at the end of our road and it was not new. Our driveway needs repair and a very small area gets damp to the touch during heavy rain. There have been no serious problems with the wood after a couple years. The humidity never gets high enough to cause any problems but we will try and fix the driveway this summer.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is not a basement, it is a first floor pour concrete slab in Florida. I will be using #30 felt, so that with the U-Boats I am hoping will work with un-treated wood for the riser. I bought un-treated wood for the stage yesterday, but that will also be on #30 felt with no u-boats.

However, since the house is already built, I don't require any inspection (do I?) to put in a stage and riser. My concern is on rot, termite and insurance.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I've not had any problem with untreated wood when using U-Boats. As for the required inspection, it's different in different places. Some only require them when doing electrical, structural, or external work. Others 'require' inspections for pretty much everything short of changing a light bulb or painting.

Bryan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts