AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an entry level Sony HT-reciever. Not bad, but not great. It supports every possible sound format except DPLII. I just got Zelda for GC and would love to play it in surround sound. I'd like some opinions on this. I really like games in surround - I play Halo and Splinter Cell in DD 5.1 all the time.

Is it close to DD 5.1?

Do the games that support it work fluidly?

Are there any other benefits (NGR) to having DPLII?

·
Banned
1,387 Posts
Hey JB,

I have a receiver with PL2 and I just got done playing Zelda on it. While I can't deny that it sounded great, the game's use of surround sound was more for ambiance than anything. It didn't play a HUGE factor in gameplay unlike a game like Halo where you almost need surround sound to figure out who is shooting at you. The surround sound in Zelda helped make the world you were sailing in all that much bigger as you could hear the waves and birds flying all around, but again, it's not anything that helped me gameplay wise. I found PL2 was much more helpful on games like Rogue Leader and Metroid Prime. I also find PL2 helps when playing PS2 games such as Socom.

If a game in PL2 is done well(i.e. Metroid Prime, Rogue Leader, Zelda, etc.) it doesn't sound as good as DD5.1, but it sounds damn near close. Rogue Leader has an audio demo in the options menu that shows how it makes use of PL2. It has a tie fighter flying off and on the screen and sound moves from speaker to speaker. I was impressed as hell as to how good it sounded.

Other benefits from PL2 might be that you can use it for any stereo signal. Movies/games/TV that are only recorded in 2.0 work pretty well on it.

If you're looking at just getting a new receiver to just play Zelda in PL2, then I wouldn't bother cause as I said before, although it sounds good, it doesn't aid too much in gameplay. But, if you are interested in using PL2 for more games and maybe movies and TV as well, it is certainly work looking into. Good luck man!

·
Registered
846 Posts
dschroll got it right on the money, in my opinion. Not AS good in sound quality as DD, but it has the full 5.1 range for effect. You probably already get ProLogic I decoding which should, theoretically, still give you one rear channel anyway.

I think it's one of those things that you need to hear for yourself to decide of it's worth the extra cash.

Good luck,

Shawn

·
Registered
923 Posts
Yeah, not worth it for just Zelda, but if you listen to music (I prefer it greatly to 5 channel stereo), have some stereo only DVD or VHS content, or have alot more GC games that you want to play in surround, go for it. I picked up a Pioneer 411 ($140 closeout from Best Buy) recently for office/gaming/HT rig and have been very pleased ever since. If you're mostly an Xbox player, though you might just use the DPLI processing that I'm sure your Sony has for your GC stuff. It'll give you some degree of the surround DPLII will, and you won't have to buy new gear just now.

Kensai

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
No use upgrading to get a feature that is just a hack on fading technology. The future is multichannel discrete audio. PLII, while nice, is just another way to get a 2 channel recording to produce sound in all 5 speakers. I've heard it a couple times at friends houses, but would never consider getting a new receiver for it. I just play in 5 channel stereo. Sometimes I find I prefer that.

reaper

·
Registered
28,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by reaper
No use upgrading to get a feature that is just a hack on fading technology. The future is multichannel discrete audio.
You've completely missed the point. Yes, the future is 5.1 or more. But there is still a vast wealth of existing program material out there, both video games and movies, that are limited to 2-channel and will never be upgraded. PLII is a way to get the most out of those.

·
Registered
7 Posts
PLII is worth a new reciever if you play a lot of GC or PSII. Gamecube games sound great in PLII. If you don't have a really expensive reciever you may want to make the upgrade.

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
Josh,

I will concede your point that DPLII may be worth it if you have a lot of older Pro-Logic or stereo matrial to use it on. I guess I was looking at it from my own standpoint. My mode of operation is to continually enjoy new games and new technologies and I don't get into retro gaming too much. I don't watch VHS movies either. So, from my perspective of leaving those older technologies behind and moving on, I don't believe it's worth it.

But for someone who wants to revisit old technologies (PL and PLII) then getting a receiver to make the best of it might be right.

reaper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.