AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My house is prewired with Cat5e to all TV/keypad locations and has 8 zones of audio all back to a central closet. In looking at automation solutions, Prodigy is very interesting and I'd love to have some feedback from those who have used it or installed it. Below are my goals.

-House is about 3500 feet by the way:

*Control of a 5.1 setup in my family room (separate amp/processor obviously)

*Distributed audio to my other zones

*Access to my Itunes collection with cover art from TV Screen and/or integrated IPAD (I am fine with using the Dock to get my music in the system)

*Lighting control of 8-10 zones

*Alarm Control

*Control of system from IPHONE remotely via Mobile Pro

Some of there new gear on the Crestron website looks really good but obviously not many have seen except those who attended CEDIA.

According to their site, the system should perform all the tasks above. For those with experience, will this system have the reliability of a "full" Crestron system in a home the size of mine? Should I install a freestanding lighting system like RadioRa2 and integrate it as opposed to using Creston's EX lighting?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Prodigy products are by and large re-branded Crestron products (sometimes in a different form-factor)...reliability should be 100% if you have a good integrator.

Lots of the CEDIA gear still doesn't have firm release dates...

·
Registered
49 Posts
You shouldn't need to worry about reliability with the prodigy range - it is built on the same architecture as the rest of the Crestron range. I would go with the ligthing solution too as the level of integration will be better than trying to use a third party lighting system.

Find yourself a good dealer and see what they can do.

I do agree though don't get too hung up on future products on the Crestron website - some may be a while away yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback and assurance about my thoughts around lighting. I'm not needing the new XP controller that can add other "full" Crestron gear down the line. I am hoping I can hold out for the PMC3 though for the on screen display. Also I have been told that the PMC2 has more limitations (ex. only one Iphone can be linked to the system). Haven't confirmed this for sure though.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weddellkw /forum/post/19611886

Prodigy products are by and large re-branded Crestron products (sometimes in a different form-factor)...reliability should be 100% if you have a good integrator.

Lots of the CEDIA gear still doesn't have firm release dates...

Prodigy reliable. Most of the components are rock solid but the PTX3 remote has it's share of issues:

- Occasionally hangs (screen displays several pages mixed)

and needs reboot. After such a crash, sometimes the sleep mode

doesn't work anymore and needs to be setup again.

- Most critical: stuck-broken side button, needs repair to fix

I have in total 3 of the PTX3 remotes, for 2 of them already the side button broke. I send one in for repair when the 2nd PTX3 developed the same problem. At the end, I changed the programming not to use the side button to avoid this issue.

I'm still quite happy with the system, but will probably replace the PTX3's with the new remotes after they become available.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Shame about the side trigger since its a very useful feature. This is a simple work around that gives you that functionality until the side trigger issue is resolved permanently. Look at the bottom right corner of the screen.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy998 /forum/post/19613047

Thanks for the feedback and assurance about my thoughts around lighting. I'm not needing the new XP controller that can add other "full" Crestron gear down the line. I am hoping I can hold out for the PMC3 though for the on screen display. Also I have been told that the PMC2 has more limitations (ex. only one Iphone can be linked to the system). Haven't confirmed this for sure though.

You can drop in more than one iPhone. Not really sure why it would be necessary, but the capability is there.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy998 /forum/post/19619970

If my wife and I both have an Iphone, it would be nice for both to be able to control the alarm, etc. remotely.

At the same time?
The only reason you need two instances is if multiple iPhone's are connecting. Sure there are some applications that could use that, but for the most part two will never be connected at the same time.

Hell, even then they still work, it can jam up though. Point is the Prodigy system is very capable of handling the load you are presenting. You just need to find the right programmer to take care of it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah. I was confused. I was under the impression that only one iphone can have the software loaded and control a particular system. Of course we would not be accessing it at the same moment I doubt.

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy998 /forum/post/19620500

Ah. I was confused. I was under the impression that only one iphone can have the software loaded and control a particular system. Of course we would not be accessing it at the same moment I doubt.

That's what we're here for, eliminate the confusion.
You actually purchase the app through the iTunes store, then you can load it to as many iPhones as you want. The project is stored on the processor, so any phone that connects to the system download the same project.

Side note, I called Sequel today, the company that manufactures the Prodigy security system from Crestron and they are ceasing sales at the end of the year. They said Crestron is in talks with other companies to continue carrying the line, but it looks like there will be a blank couple months possibly where it will not be sold. Dealers can still purchase the system from Sequel up until December 30th, but after that it's up in the air.

·
Registered
204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowne30M3 /forum/post/19620532

That's what we're here for, eliminate the confusion.
You actually purchase the app through the iTunes store, then you can load it to as many iPhones as you want. The project is stored on the processor, so any phone that connects to the system download the same project.

Side note, I called Sequel today, the company that manufactures the Prodigy security system from Crestron and they are ceasing sales at the end of the year. They said Crestron is in talks with other companies to continue carrying the line, but it looks like there will be a blank couple months possibly where it will not be sold. Dealers can still purchase the system from Sequel up until December 30th, but after that it's up in the air.

I realize the current security panel solution for Prodigy systems is up in the air right now. However, once the situation resolves itself, is there a way to program a Prodigy system to use security cameras?

Also, as a random question, would it be possible to program a Prodigy system to receive information from an outside weather station and use that information to do certain tasks?

·
Registered
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendustweb /forum/post/19691806

I realize the current security panel solution for Prodigy systems is up in the air right now. However, once the situation resolves itself, is there a way to program a Prodigy system to use security cameras?

Also, as a random question, would it be possible to program a Prodigy system to receive information from an outside weather station and use that information to do certain tasks?

Sure. If it is ethernet, serial, or IR controllable, Prodigy can talk to it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts