AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 62inch Sony Projective TV KP-61HS30 (not widescreen) with HDTV and Sony DVD player DVP-NC655P (with progressive)

I enabled the progressive on both TV and DVD player, but how come i see there are lines on tv?? I thought it not suppose to show lines.. What should i do?? The progressive indicator on DVD player is light ON. And I'm using Monster Component Video 3. (expensive one) Plug the right cables.

I did enabled progressive on everything. but i still see lines when i look closer to TV. Interlaced does not have lines.

i read the manual of TV, it said that progressive is for still images only?? I thought it was for movies too. so is progressive NOT for movies???

is it something wrong with my TV or DVD player??

by the way... when i turn on the Progressive on my TV to watch the regular cable tv (not dvd movies), it does show the lines when Progressive or CineMotion is selected. Interlaced is fine when watchin cable TV..

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Welcome to the forums. With my 64-inch RPTV (CRT-based) at my normal 8-foot viewing distance I don't see scan lines with a progressive DVD input (or other video that my set automatically deinterlaces to 480p). But if I move slightly closer and look very closely at light screen areas the scan lines are sometimes visible. Don't find this objectionable since they don't show up a normal viewing distance. If you visit the HTPC and video processor forums here you'll see that many are using computers or other processors to boost the number of image scan lines, along with horizontal resolution. A boost from 480p to 540p (typical) would no doubt eliminate visible scan lines. In doing this, you have to factor in whether, to your eyes, the upscaling of images is better than 480p. -- John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks... i'll buy another brand of dvd player and see if it has the same result.. then i'll return it back.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by masterpp
thanks... i'll buy another brand of dvd player and see if it has the same result.. then i'll return it back.
Perhaps I don't understand your problem correctly, but it doesn't sound like the DVD player is the source of any problem. You are wasting a perfectly fine player if you do that. I have the NC655p and it works great.

Some sets have the capability of making an input progressive even when the source is interlaced. Many TVs are better at doing this than the DVD players are at doing the same task. So if your image looks better when the DVD player is set to interlaced rather than progressive, your TV is doing a good job.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
masterpp,

It's possible something is wrong. One way you can tell for sure is too look up close at a moving image from the DVD. Do the lines move in a consistent slow pattern? Do the pixels themselves "twinkle" very rapidly? If so this is a sign of interlacing and it doesn't make much sense that your TV should display it that way.

Now, it's possible you're also simply sitting too close to the TV and since the TV is so big, you see the 480 scan lines. At 61" your TV screen should be about 37" tall, making a 480p scan line approximately .08" tall. If you're sitting close enough, you can definitely see that.

So those are the questions I'd ask before determining something is wrong. You're probably just too close - and if the line pattern is relatively stable and solid (like a film projection) then everything is fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.