AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has a Tosh 65 inch HD RPTV (two years old) and is using an interlaced DVD player (4 years old). I've read here and elsewhere that the fact that the Toshiba upconverts 480p signals to 520p may limit the improvement of using a progressive scan player. Is this true? Or will the new progressive player (RP-82, with Faroudja chip) represent an improvement? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Depends on his TV ... is it one of the new series ... 81 or 82 series or an older 80 series.

The 80's did not upconvert so 480P looks superior on those units compared to current sets.

If the set is an 81 series ... then benefits will still be seen, just harder to notice ...

Given cost of 480p units these days, not spending the extra 20 to $30 would be a crime indeed.

Regards

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Michael. His TV is actually an 65HDX81. The primary reason for the new DVD purchase (about $220 for the Panny RP-82) wasn't dissatisfaction w/ his old player, just an attempt to get the most out of his TV. I thought the interlaced player might be limiting things slightly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.