Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I need your help - I am glad I just discovered this site! I am afraid my fiance and I are being scammed! My fiance just signed up late yesterday to purchase the above model for $1699.00 plus tax and the salesperson says it is a 61" HDTV capable big screen TV. I am concerned because I cannot find anything on the internet to verify this is a HDTV capable set. It only has 900 lines of resolution. I wanted to purchase a higher resolution set between 50 and 65 " that can be upgraded to HDTV with an add-on HDTV receiver. This is also not the 16:9 format, which I preferred but the salesperson insisted would produce too small of a picture with current analog programming. I need quick advice to cancel this deal if it is not a good one. I also could use a recommendation for any other make/model that would be more suitable for us! Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Taron1,

Thank you for your reply. I agree this is a much better set based on the specs. Do you know how it compares to the similar sony, toshiba and Mitsubishi? The price definitely looks good-how about the picture quality, problems, etc? I think I will take a look and see if I can find a store in NJ to see this one. I appreciate the help! We called the store and will be canceling the order on the other one.

Thanks,

Lisa

·
Registered
228 Posts
Frangelical:

It looks like canceling the order is a good idea. There are a lot of good deals now for HDTV. Even though the ProScan is a pretty good deal, make your decision after further research is still worthwhile. However, buying a HDTV with built in Directv box may not be a good idea at all. First of all, you are locked into Directv. what if you like Dish network more because they have Showtime in HD while DTV doesn't offer that. Even if you want to be a life time DTV guy, how about reciever upgrades. Nowadays, stand alone reciever boxes are quite afforable. You are then entitled to replace you reciever when better models are introduced in the future. This is the same logic that you don't buy a TV with VCR, so that you can choose the best VCR now and be able to upgrade your VCR in the future.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VictorC,

Thank you for your comments too! I would prefer to have the ability to upgrade the HDTV and satellite boxes also. I just think for a little bit more money, it would be better to get a tv with better resolution and capability for the future. The set we were offered was not in the showroom so I could see the picture, which makes me uncomfortable. With a 61" screen, the offered resolution may be too low compared to some of the other sets available.

Thank you,

Lisa

·
Registered
109 Posts
Also I cannot find the 61710 in the 2001 line up? Could this be last years model??? I have finally seen the 16/9 Proscan 65000 (65 inch) w/built in decoder. Nice! As a custom installer (Md) I deal with all the brands and as such have no brand loyalty. All of these televisions have great pictures in HDTV. I personally like the 65000 because it's price is the same (or lower) than other similiar sized televisions and it includes the tuner. Nothing says that you couldn't purchase another decoder later. But look at it this way . When you bought your last tv, (with a built in cable/ntsc decoder) how long was it before you replaced thoses decoders? There have certainly been better ones available. The answer is probably never. Remember to maximize the picture any of these newer HDTV's a low level calibration is a must (meaning using AVIA or Video Essentials DVD).

Also 16/9 is my prefered choice but it may not be yours. 4/3 sets offer the best compromise for some people, especially if price is a consideration. and a 61 inch 4/3 (assuming it's HDTV ready) will still give you close to 50 inches (depending on aspect ratio of material) in 16/9 mode.

Finally, my favorite saying is...Picking any electronic device (ie...SONY, MIts, PROSCAN,etc...) one over the other is like saying chocolate ice cream is always better than vanilla. Just because someone likes chocolate that doesn't mean vanilla is substandard. It just what that person prefers. That's my 2 cent opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Video Joe,

Thank you for your comments too! I think the Proscan must be an older model too! I saw it for sale on another internet site for $300.00 cheaper than what was offered to us. I think it was a bit high for a 4:3 with that resolution. It did have a comb filter but no mention of HDTV capability. I think we should look around abit, but my fiance is so anxious for a big screen TV, he jumped at the "we will reduce the price from $1999 to 1699 if you order right now! I guess the engineering side of me wants to get the best out there for the $ spent! I will take a look at some of the models mentioned!

Thanks,

Lisa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.