AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys i've been in the market for a computer to integrate well into my home theater and have spent a little bit of time looking at the PS3 as it seems the better option. My plans are to place the unit under my projector stand holding my panny AX200 and run an s-video cable to the projector (two HDMI inputs are already taken by HD DVD player and Comcast Digi-Cable box). I will run audio cables to my reciever. Besides HDMI (my reciever does not input HDMI) what are the digital outputs this PS3 uses for sound (optical, etc.)?

What I want from the PS3 is:

1. the ability to use my wireless internet connection via the D-Link DIR-625 router (which I think will work after looking on one of the sticky pages)

2. the ability to brouse the web and get on message forums etc. just like I would with a pc

3. the ability to be able to type/use internet through a wireless keyboard and mouse

4. the ability to dowload and store music to play through my 7.1 + infinite baffle sub 4400 watt setup (sorry had to boast a second
)

5. the ability to incorporate blue ray disks into my HD capabilities with 7.1 channel sound being able to be placed into my reciever. I already have HD DVD player.

6. and lastly to be able to play games but not really as concerned with this

Now all of this being said what i'm most unclear on is the browser features of this unit. Is browsing the internet via a play station 3, wireless keyboard and mouse, similar to browsing with a PC? If not how do they differ?

Also, isn't it better to buy the unit with the smaller harddrive and get a large external hard drive? If so, how much do they cost and how do they connect (usb cable, blue tooth, wi-fi, etc.)?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated guys, thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/12855451

I suggest never using s-video cables again.

Ok, any special reasons? I choose not to use them when I can but I don't really want to spend a lot of money on HDMI switching either. I already have two 50' HDMI cables to get from my components to the projector. I suppose if there's really that big of a difference I could go that way though.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/12855513

You wont get anything over 480p on S-video and the PS3.

Well then that's decided if that's the case. I'll incorporate a switching device of some sorts.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by llanelwy /forum/post/12855598

a switch would only be 30-40 dollars from monoprice

Cool, sounds like the way to go then! If I do that then I may just end up placing the play station up by the rest of my components and using one of the 50' hdmi cables to run from the switch to the projector.

Any comments on the rest of my question?

·
Registered
545 Posts

Quote:
What I want from the PS3 is:

1. the ability to use my wireless internet connection via the D-Link DIR-625 router (which I think will work after looking on one of the sticky pages)

2. the ability to brouse the web and get on message forums etc. just like I would with a pc

3. the ability to be able to type/use internet through a wireless keyboard and mouse

4. the ability to dowload and store music to play through my 7.1 + infinite baffle sub 4400 watt setup (sorry had to boast a second
)

5. the ability to incorporate blue ray disks into my HD capabilities with 7.1 channel sound being able to be placed into my reciever. I already have HD DVD player.

6. and lastly to be able to play games but not really as concerned with this

1) Yes, your D-Link DIR-625 will work with the PS3

2) Yes, the PS3 comes with it's own browser - not the best, but a decent browser

3) Yes, most any wireless k/m as well as most any bluetooth k/m combo will work with the PS3
4) I haven't actually downloaded any music directly to my PS3, I generally stream from my Mac or access files from my external HDD - perhaps some one else can answer this question more thoroughly.

5) Incorporate BR yes, get true loses-less 7.1 audio no - that is derived singly from the HDMI connection, your receiver most likely has the ability to "process" the signal from the optical cable and using internally AVR settings, get you to the desired 7.1 outcome.

6) Of course play games...at the least you'll want to get some of the PS3's top tier titles: R&C, COD4, Uncharted...

Since the announcement by Warner Bros., going exclusively to BR, and with the expected jump of Paramount and Universal just around the corner, who knows perhaps your PS3 will make its way to that coveted second HDMI spot in your set-up....either way the fit seems good for your needs

·
Registered
1,707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llanelwy /forum/post/12855598

a switch would only be 30-40 dollars from monoprice

Got my HDMI switcher from Monoprice, and I couldn't recommend it more. Works awesome and it was the cheapest price you'll see anywhere.

·
Registered
370 Posts
To answer your questions...

In short, yes it is pretty much just like a PC. The browser itself sucks though and is very limited in what it can do. Good news is that it can play video. It won't do much else though. I tried streaming audio one time and that wouldn't work. I don't have a full list of what it will and won't do but its pretty functional if you just want it for the living room, IMO.

Differences in the hard drives... 40GB won't have the ability to play most PS2 games, but you don't seem to be concerned with this. 80GB will and thats pretty much the only advantage. You probably won't even need near any of that space if all you want to do is watch Blu-rays.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys, thanks a bunch. These are the kind of responses i'm looking for!

Interesting, so the 40GB unit can't play some games huh? Well you are dead on as the only thing i'd honestly see me using all this storage for would be downloading music. But then again if the unit is not that good at downloading music then I may find some kind of IPOD type deal for that and hook to it through separate audio cables and or a dock.

I wonder if there is anywhere in my smallish town which allows first hand experiencing the internet capabilities of this system?

I will certainly get some games if this is the way I go, I bought the playstation 2 a while a go just to play gran turismo 3, ha ha!!!

·
Registered
315 Posts
You can store music on the PS3. I have about 12k 320kbs tracks on my ps3. Now it is not the best media device for navigating large collections. Still it is convenient to have it on a device that doesn't depend on PC to be turned on. There is no searching, paging, direct sorting jump key and tracks are always shown regardless of sort order. This makes you scroll through thousands of tracks to find the right album or track.

If you are going to store on the PS3 you might as well save money and buy the 40gb and replace with a big fast notebook drive. It is a 5 minute operation and you can have a 150gb or bigger for the same price as a 80gb.

You probably want to avoid the wireless link if you can as it is always better to have a faster connection that is rock solid.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare-air /forum/post/12855826

If you are going to store on the PS3 you might as well save money and buy the 40gb and replace with a big fast notebook drive. It is a 5 minute operation and you can have a 150gb or bigger for the same price as a 80gb.

You probably want to avoid the wireless link if you can as it is always better to have a faster connection that is rock solid.

What exactly is involved in this operation? I'm not that familiar with swapping these type things but I'm sure I can figure it out with a few suggestions!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahimlee54 /forum/post/12855896

+1 for a monoprice HDMI Switch, get a nice 4 port one and call it a day. The PS3 is for you everything you listed can be done on the PS3 although I wouldnt store on the PS3 either because I am to lazy and you can stream via your network so you would only have to put the music on one system, the computer.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

I will not have a computer at my house though. Is the only issue with having all of the information on the PS3 the fact that I will have to scroll through it all to make my selection or is there an issue with slowing the unit down greatly or something along those lines?

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Just curious why you have a wireless network running in your house with no computers (and presumably a $40+/mo internet bill).

If you are buying this to be a music server and grab music off the internet, I would suggest looking at a cheap laptop or something like that instead.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm not sure how happy you will be with the browser. It seemed a little clunky to me although I have only messed around with it briefly. Maybe some users who have more experience with it can chime in?

·
Registered
266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/12855996

Just curious why you have a wireless network running in your house with no computers (and presumably a $40+/mo internet bill).

If you are buying this to be a music server and grab music off the internet, I would suggest looking at a cheap laptop or something like that instead.

+1.

unless your stealing from your neighbors wireless

Make sure to use the HDMI for the PS3 you will get better quality, they have remote access HDMI switchers at monoprice FYI.

I have an entertainment room w/ my computer tv ps3 surround sound sytem etc. I dont mess around w/ the PS3 browser, not as nice as using a computer. I bought an HDMI switcher from monoprice this week (hasnt arrived) and i also ordered a DVI - HDMI cable to hook up my computer to my tv, and use my wireless key board ,this way i can use my computer on my tv screen. Alot better then dealing w/ the ps3 browser. The ps3 browser is nice if you have a room w/ out a computer or you dont have a computer (but you have internet)

4. the ability to dowload and store music to play through my 7.1 + infinite baffle sub 4400 watt setup (sorry had to boast a second)
i have not tried to download music from the internet on to the ps3 (not even sure if you can) but i have loaded some cds and stored them on the ps3 hard drive, sound great w/ my aperion surround through the onkyo 605 reciever. I personally plan on linking my computer up to the surround sound sytem, this will eliminate the need for using the HD space on the PS3. I will need to buy a better audio card though.

Others have answered the rest of your questions.

oh and you can use optical cables for audio.

-J

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/12855996

I had a Dell Laptop but it took a dump on me

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It sounds like the browser is not that good i'm taking it? Can any of you pinpoint the issues with it? If it's to do with screen size I have that covered at 106"!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts