AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PS3 has long been the choice for affordable bluray with the most features. Now that there is so many choices out there, plus several heavy hitters coming soon, ie oppo, is PS3 still a good buy even if you are a non gamer?

·
Registered
528 Posts
The current budget-end Blu-Ray players (SONY BDP-S350, Samsung BDP-1500) are profile 2.0/BR Live compliant. These can be had for $199-$249 at retail and would probably be a better choice for the non-gamer. For a non-gamer, the PS3's ($399) retail cost difference $150 is getting you about 50% faster load time (thank the aforementioned players) and the addition of the built in DTS HD MA (Master Audio) decoder is what it comes down to... I think for most who are non-gamers (or just gamers not interested in the PS3) this cost would not be worth it... If you look at which Blu-Ray players are selling like hot-cakes, it's the S350 and Samy 1500 so I think the public has spoken and as usual most people are looking for a great bargain on a brand name product.

Not sure if this is true, but with it's powerful cell processor and built in hard drive the PS3 is probably more capable of handling future firmware updates than other stand alone players, so I think the PS3 is still a good bargain for those looking for a high-end Blu-Ray player.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebrick /forum/post/15459436

PS3 has long been the choice for affordable bluray with the most features. Now that there is so many choices out there, plus several heavy hitters coming soon, ie oppo, is PS3 still a good buy even if you are a non gamer?

We have a thread for this type of question located here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...69206&page=127

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i can get the ps3 at 20% off so with the price discount it should be more favorable than the lower end players right? also why would one need the 160g over the 80g

·
Registered
3,034 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 /forum/post/15459820

The current budget-end Blu-Ray players (SONY BDP-S350, Samsung BDP-1500) are profile 2.0/BR Live compliant. These can be had for $199-$249 at retail and would probably be a better choice for the non-gamer. For a non-gamer, the PS3's ($399) retail cost difference $150 is getting you about 50% faster load time (thank the aforementioned players) and the addition of the built in DTS HD MA (Master Audio) decoder is what it comes down to... I think for most who are non-gamers (or just gamers not interested in the PS3) this cost would not be worth it... If you look at which Blu-Ray players are selling like hot-cakes, it's the S350 and Samy 1500 so I think the public has spoken and as usual most people are looking for a great bargain on a brand name product.

Not sure if this is true, but with it's powerful cell processor and built in hard drive the PS3 is probably more capable of handling future firmware updates than other stand alone players, so I think the PS3 is still a good bargain for those looking for a high-end Blu-Ray player.

The Panasonic BD35 would also be on the short list of budget stand-alone players. It has good disc compatibility so far and decent DVD upscaling also. It also does decode the advanced codecs like the PS3 but can also bitstream advanced codecs unlike the PS3. Of course, the OPPO BDP-83 will blow all of these players away based on what I have read in this forum.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nothing so far beats the PS3 in the bd dept. fast loads, BD live, DTSMA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.