AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built my HTPC (1700 XP,256 DDR2100, 80GIG baracuda, WinXP) and didn't have a video card. Im on a tight budget so i went for an OEM Radeon 7000. Im still having trouble getting the drivers of ATI site to load, but im wondering if maybe i went too cheap. The picture looks pretty good but i dont have much HT video experience so i dont know how good the picture is supposed to be. Im mainly just trying to run DVDs at 480p to my Sony 1031q projector.

Is a radeon 7000 sufficient or should i get a 7500/8500? Also, I want to watch cable TV too so i need a caputure card so maybe i should just return the 7000 and get a 7500/8500 AIW card.

Someone please give your valuable advice!!!

thanks.

-paul

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The 7000 is like the VE Series...not too bad but the RAMDAC is of a lower bandwidth and quality then the rest of the line. ATi has less and less RF filtering as you go up the line and I believe one of the stripped-down 8500LEs is quite a good deal, with it being $100 and giving high-quality output. You will have the broken gamma curve until the drivers are released though...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.