AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm more of a movie guy than tv guy. I don't have a HD card for my computer and was wondering what that other's thougts were on recording HD movies for later playback vs. DVD. I get decent DVD quality on my RPTV with my HTPC, but obviously notice better video from when I watch the same thing in HD. Is it worth it to record OTA HD movies to HD for playback?? I guess my question really is..is the trouble to record a HD movie and have to edit the commercials out, suffer from *probably* not as good sound, OAR concerns, etc woth it vs. the DVD? I guess an example would be say Gladiator--which I have on DVD. If it has or will ever air OTA on HD, would it be worth it to record and archive it vs having the DVD? Thoughts?? Drew

·
Registered
530 Posts
I recorded gladiator on abc in 720p 8 or 9 months ago with the comercials and edited to have less gore. I watched for 15 minutes before I got tired of the comercials.

For movies I vote no. I do record however , ER, thirdwatch, and some sitcoms in HD and they make the $150 fusion card more worth it to me. I am waiting for my hd tivo though, which will have me sell my dtc-100 and my fusion card.

david

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah good point, I forgot about the editing for TV. I'm guessing then that the movie purists will have nothing to do with recorded HD movies?

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
But you can have a better quality movie recording the HDTV version compared to the DVD version. Is there no fast forward on the player to breeze through the commercials?

·
Registered
644 Posts
it's pretty easy to edit out commercials w/ hdtvtompeg2. make sure you get the latest version (1.12, not 1.07, which is what's posted on the website).

if a movie spans 3 hours on a tv schedule, you can probably get it down to 2 hours when you strip out the commercials. if you strip the null packets w/ nullpacketstripper, you can get those 2 hours to fit into about 8.5 gb. that's still a lot of space. it's not worth it to me 'cause i usually only watch a movie once.

nevertheless, it's pretty cool to see a movie in hd. for example, i saw parts of "enemy of the state" again last week on abc because it was in hd. "meet the parents" was on last night, but it was only in 4:3, even though it was being broadcast in 720p. since i had already seen it, i didn't bother. i'm looking forward to "armageddon" next week on abc.

i record "alias" every sunday w/o watching it. i then edit out the commercials & strip the null packets. so far i've gotten each episode down to about 4.3 gb, so i can fit one episode on one dvd. at the end of the season, i'll watch all 22 episodes at my leisure, commercial-free, able to rewind/pause, & better than dvd quality. gotta love technology.

·
Registered
277 Posts
kpoon,

What software are you using to burn the VOB files to DVD. I have been recording HD to my HDD with MyHD. I want to burn the shows to DVD to play while I'm on the road. I've just got a DVD burner and still new at this. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I record and transcode HDTV movies (from ABC) to Xvid. Its good for some movies, its very easy to edit the commercials out, but for some movies too much of the movie is lost to be watchable (such as Any Given Sunday).

·
Registered
201 Posts
Kinda unrelated, but Meet the Parents was in 16:9 here in Dallas, and our ABC station in Dallas is the only one that broadcasts in 1080i... I watched it, it look pretty good.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by boatman
kpoon,

What software are you using to burn the VOB files to DVD. I have been recording HD to my HDD with MyHD. I want to burn the shows to DVD to play while I'm on the road. I've just got a DVD burner and still new at this. Thanks for any help.
i haven't actually transferred the files to dvd yet 'cause i still have plenty of hdd space. however, when i do eventually transfer the files, it won't be in .vob format. i'll simply leave them in .tp format. from the posts i've read on the subject, it's just too complicated/difficult a process to create an hd file that's playable in a standard dvd player. it's not worth it to me to go through all that trouble. good luck.

·
Registered
463 Posts
kpoon,

After you have used HDTVTOMPEG2 on a hd file, what software do you then use to watch the show from the resulting file.

Paul

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
Movies from OTA: Cropped, edited for content, edited for time and has commercial interruptions.

All of the above are deal breakers in my mind, with the possible exception of cropped, as 1.85:1 films are not cropped much to hit 1.78:1.

For network programming like CSI, Alias and The Practice, I would say it is worth it, but not for films.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by automagic
kpoon,

After you have used HDTVTOMPEG2 on a hd file, what software do you then use to watch the show from the resulting file.

Paul
my guess is any media player that can play back MPEG2 format.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yeah..guess i should have been more specific...regardelss of the time it takes to record Hd movies, is the end result chopped up/edited/wrong oar worth it vs. DVD. I'm thinking it would ruin my moive experiene (for films). What are others thinking? Does a gain in picture quality make it worth it vs. the drawbacks?

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
How much better picture would you need to compensate you for having to deal with missing dialog, words redubbed to be less offensive, critical scenes cut for content and being interrupted every 10 minutes?

·
Registered
455 Posts
it is good for kids movies -- toy story and beauty and the beast were keepers for me. I'm not sure my 5 year old really appreciates the higher resolution though

·
Registered
664 Posts
This question is like asking if lack of peperoni on a pizza makes that pizza worth eating. The answer is different for everyone, and you already know if you can enjoy a pizza without peperoni. :) Of course, you are asking if extra cheese makes up for it I guess. :p

My opinion means squat, but I find certain movies that are not cut up or edited very much, are worth it (Dinosaur, Meet the Parents, come to mind). Other movies, well, I will take the peperoni. Am I spelling peperoni right? It's two P's, right? LOL!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kpoon
it's pretty easy to edit out commercials w/ hdtvtompeg2. make sure you get the latest version (1.12, not 1.07, which is what's posted on the website).
I've been trying to find the website that has hdtvtompeg2 v1.12 but I have had no luck. I have used google and it returns links to v1.07. Would you be able to point me to the the website for v1.12?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Waituhminuht...I thought the latest one was 1.10b!

Anyways, Patja above pretty much had the right idea. When it comes to movies, prolly only the Indiana Jones movies and Disney movies have ever been worthwhile to record and edit and save to dvdrs. The CBS movies in HD are usually not so hot, although A Time to Kill was pretty good.

Darius

·
Registered
291 Posts
For me recording OTA HD movies is worth it. I am willing to live with some editing in exchange for the MUCH better picture quality of true High Definition. I do admit that excessive editing can really spoil a movie but I can live with some editing of language and violence.

As an example, I watched "Fellowship of the Rings" on DVD for the first time last week. I would gladly live with some editing if I could get to see all those wonderful fantasy scenes in High Definition!

I have been recording OTA HD movies for about a year now and archiving the transport steam data files to DVDs. I take the time to edit out all the commercials and end up with 8 to 16 data files per movie. I use DVD-R media and a single movie typically fits on 3 to 5 disks. I have found the networks did not cut much from the movies I have recorded. They tend to increase the movie time slot according to the run time of the movie. Here are the typical results. 2-hour timeslot-->90 minutes run time. 3-hour timeslot-->120 minutes run time. I recorded "The Sound of Music" a few weeks ago which ran in a 4-hour timeslot. After editing, this movie runs 2 hours and 52 minutes with no closing credits. The DVD version of this movie lists the run time as 2 hours and 55 minutes.

Some day, there will be HD DVD movies and HD DVD players. There will be plenty of other HD movies I will want to rent or purchase at that time. Until then, I will continue adding to my HD movie collection.

DonP

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.