AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would try this out myself at home, but I'm out on business and won't return for a few months.

I have my CDs ripped on my computer (XP) using EAC+LAME=256VBR. I have a Santa Cruz soundcard, and I was going to run 75ft digital coax down to my living room to connect to the digital coax input of my Onkyo TX-DS575X receiver to be outputted by my B&Ws.

I understand that CDs and MP3s are sampled at 44K. And I understand that Windows' Kmixer resamples everything at 48k for compatibility issues with other components. Hence, my soundcard also resamples at 48k since Windows will be outputting all audio at 48k. And yes, I understand the details on what the difference is.

My question:

In my situation where I'm using my computer as an mp3 jukebox to my home stereo, is that 48k resampling REALLY that bad and/or noticeable???

I ask because I'm wondering while I'm out here if I should buy the new Revo card. I like my Santa Cruz. I love the fact that the drivers are rock solid. I do some occassional gaming. But I always have music on (every music class under the sun). My one and only reason for upgrading to the Revo would be the no-resampling on the card. But I don't feel it is really worth it if resampling from 44k to 48k is not all that bad. Sure, I will test it out myself when I return, but if it's simply YES, IT'S THAT BAD, then I can order one ahead of time. Just curious.

·
Registered
650 Posts
This is a very personal issue, but I can give you my experience. My setup is TB Santa Cruz -> kernel streaming via foobar2000 (bypasses kmixer but can't avoid the TB's hardware resampling to 48K) -> digital coax -> Harman/Kardon AVR225 -> Headroom Little Headphone amp -> Sennheiser HD580 headphones. I'm certainly no audiophile, but I can still tell that my HD580's sound way better and are more revealing than anything else I've heard, headphone or speaker (obviously I haven't heard any real hi-fi rigs, but still...). I did get a Revo 7.1 since a lot of the talk here made the 48K resampling sound like a HUGE deal. Well, even bypassing kmixer and playing CDs at their native 44.1KHz rate on the Revo, I could tell NO difference over my 48KHz Santa Cruz. NONE. I can certainly believe that some AVS'ers with hifi rigs can hear the difference and that it would drive them crazy to not have 44.1K (since I am probably this picky with video), but I gave up on trying to hear the difference and returned the Revo. And I'm not sure if it's even possible to hear the difference with an avearge quality speaker.

I will note that I did feel like I got a slight improvement in detail by bypassing kmixer, but the difference was so slight it may well have been psychological. Anyway, you can bypass kmixer just as well with the Santa Cruz. If you can get the Revo from a place with a good return policy, it may be worth it just to scratch that curiosity itch. Just don't feel like you've been missing out on much with your Santa Cruz; it's a fine card for digital output. Analog is probably a whole 'nother story, but I coudn't get the Revo's analog outs to work anyways.

Mike U.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks mulveling for your response.

I actually didn't know Santa Cruz supported kernal streaming. I will have to try that out.

I now wonder if the 44k to 48k is really that noticeable and if it's more of a psychological thing. I know I don't have a stereo over $10k, but really though. With the exception of my receiver (which I feel is my bottleneck) I think I have a pretty sweet setup, so I really wonder if it's more hardware related or if it's a mental issue.

But I'm satisfied enough with your answer, so I doubt I'll be switching to the Revo. Thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, since MP3s already do drop a lot of info in the high frequency spectrum I doubt you can hear much of a difference from resampling. Owning B&W speakers too I can tell you this, you're gonna regret the mp3 compression far more than the resampling effect.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Gozer, I'm agree with you.

I have B&W's too with Parasound power amps.

Two months ago I decided to switch from 256kbps MP3 to ultra high quality WMA (Using the Windows Media Audio Lossless option) with variable bit rate from 470 to 960 kbps.

The sound quality difference is incredible.

·
Registered
53 Posts
what if you ripped them at 48k? i thouight since it was higher it was better. maybe i didn't do the right thing when i ripped a bunch of my cd's. they all sound ok though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.