AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built an HD antenna (the coat hanger one from YouTube) and I am getting really poor reception. The only thing I can think of is the Cable. Do I have to use the newer RJ6 Cable to pick up the HD channels? I mostly get the analog ones.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Not enough info to give good answer.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
At normal cable lengths the type of cable should make no difference.

How far are you from the digital tranmission towers?

Are the numbers of all of the analog channels you are getting between 2 and 51?

What are some example numbers?

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Do you mean RG6?

Where are you located?

Most of the youtube coathanger antennas are not a good design.

·
Registered
22,856 Posts
Poor antenna, poor location, poor mounting, poor line of sight, long distance and if using indoors (or attic), building construction can/will effect reception.

You do not have to use RG6 for analog or digital OTA reception. RG59 is fine short runs (

As stated in post #2... need more info to provide suggestions for improving your situation.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
FYI everybody, here's his other thread, which has his TVfool chart:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1231442

Under normal conditions, it shouldn't take much of an antenna to get a decent signal at three miles from the transmitters (CN Tower). Do you have large buildings nearby that might be reflecting signals and producing multipath interference? Do the analog channels have multiple images ("ghosts") which are the analog symptom of multipath? Multipath can kill digital reception completely.

Or, since you're so close to the transmitters, if your antenna is intended to pick up medium to distant signals, it might even be overloading your tuner, which again would kill digital reception. That might explain why you're seeing the analogs but not the digitals.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
At that distance, you probably are getting ingress through the cable shielding, which can cause distortion of the signal.

But, more likely, you are getting far too much signal...especially from FM overload. I'd try an FM Trap (designed for 88-108 MHz, not the ones that that only attenuate the upper half of the FM Band), right at the input to the receiver. See what that does, then consider adding one or two attenuators (buy a -3 dB and a -6 dB, then try them in combinations...a -3, a -6, both for a total of -9) if needed, until you get a better signal.

A short section of RG-6/U Quad Shield wouldn't be a bad investment, if the signals are getting in to the coax, rather than via the antenna only.

FM Traps are usually about 3-5 dollars, attenuators are about 1-2 dollars each. Best Buy has RG-6 Quad in short lengths with connectors, or check with a local TV shop or wholesaler.

·
Banned
2,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenglish /forum/post/18270819

At that distance, you probably are getting ingress through the cable shielding, which can cause distortion of the signal.

Whch is where quad shileded RG6 is better than RG-59. So while for short distances it may not mattter ther are also other reason to just go ahead and use RG-6.

·
Registered
22,856 Posts
I could be wrong, but that "coathanger" antenna shouldn't have FM interference (UHF only)

It would be helpful to have info in regard to the desired stations/channels.

Reception is "poor". Reception from "where"? Canadian channels or are you shooting for the US-DT channels 40+ miles away? That makes a difference.

Where/how is the antenna mounted?

What are the symptoms of the poor reception?

How long is the coax cable run from antenna to tv/receiver?

What is the existing coax cable you are using?

Do you live in an apartment or single family home?

Do you have any obstructions (buildings, trees, etc.) blocking LOS to x-mitters.

Not intentionally trying to be nasty but, more info would be helpful (and less expensive) before buying attenuators and traps only to find out they don't help.

To add...

If anything is suspect, I'd double check your construction of the DIY antenna. Secondly, if you're going to spend $$ for traps, attenuators, and new coax, you may as well buy a "real" antenna.

·
Banned
2,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/18271086

I could be wrong, but that "coathanger" antenna shouldn't have FM interference (UHF only)

If a signal is strong enough it doesn't matter the type of antenna. My strongest station is on RF 43 but can come in even using antenna designed for low-VHF.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It would be helpful to have info in regard to the desired stations/channels.

Reception is "poor". Reception from "where"? Canadian channels or are you shooting for the US-DT channels 40+ miles away? That makes a difference.

Poor as in the number of channels. I get about 10, and only one of them is HD.

Where/how is the antenna mounted?

Behind my TV. First floor.

What are the symptoms of the poor reception?

Some channels are not sharp.

How long is the coax cable run from antenna to tv/receiver?

3 feet or so.

What is the existing coax cable you are using?

Not sure, but it is not RG6.

Do you live in an apartment or single family home?

single family home

Do you have any obstructions (buildings, trees, etc.) blocking LOS to x-mitters.

Don't think so.

Not intentionally trying to be nasty but, more info would be helpful (and less expensive) before buying attenuators and traps only to find out they don't help.

Not a problem, if there are any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
22,856 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrre /forum/post/18271133

Poor as in the number of channels. I get about 10, and only one of them is HD.

Are you only concerned with CN channels?

Quote:
Behind my TV. First floor.

Maybe your TV/equipment is interfering? Is it "aimed" towards the xmitters?

Get the antenna away from the hardware. Get it as high as possible (attic) and aim it properly.

Quote:
Some channels are not sharp.

For analog, that can be attributed to all of the constraints mentioned above. If you don't get digital channels, same thing, except that with digital should always be "clear". You get 'em or you don't.

Quote:
3 feet or so.

I wouldn't sweat the coax cable at this time. (Unless it's really old and/or one of those crappy coax/antenna cables that come free with TV's/VCR's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts