AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bunch of Football games in 2000-2002 that I recorded on a 3900 U JVC S-VHS VCR and also on a regular good Sony VHS VCR. On EP have you guys noticed a difference? I put in same game tapes tonight(just playing ,no recording) and it seemed the S-VHS was superior PQ at this 4 hour speed. I know that we all disparage Consumer Reports( and I agree they are horrible on THIS subject) for their video reviews but they noted that VHS was better than S-VHS at this speed. Anyone have direct viewing experience?

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
Not quite sure what you are asking but I'll take a shot...

Are you saying that you are suprised that the S-VHS EP recorded tapes have superior PQ vs. VHS EP recorded tapes? I would expect the S-VHS tapes to be superior in PQ to VHS regardless of the recording speed? PQ judged solely by sight is subjective, unless CU had test equipment data to back up their claim, I would take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
710 Posts
At EP, I think VHS has less noise, but much less detail than S-VHS. The later S-VHS machines are much better at recording EP (I can tell the difference between EP recordings made recently on my late 1980's JVC S-VHS decks and those made by my newer machines, and I always noticed the vhs/s-vhs noise difference on the older machines, but not so much on the new ones).

To some people (and, apparently, everyone submitting to Consumer Reports), the low noise, low detailed pictures of regular VHS at EP are easier to watch. I preferred the detail, and vfarrari is right that PQ is highly subjective.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am recording the S-VHS EP speed tapes to the E-80 HDD on XP speed. I then delete the commercials and halftime and burn the football game on 3 discs. S-VHS does seem better on the final DVD than VHS. But who knows as you say it may be subjective. I know one thing I will never record a 3.5 hour game or show on EP again when SP ,two tapes or discs are so much better PQ- Man I was stupid in 2000. Live and learn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.