AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was given a 50'' RPTV for free... I was planning on buying a cheapo front projector but I think I'll stick with this for now and upgrade my speakers. Maybe later I'll do a projector.

Problem is (I don't like it but whatcha gonna do) the best connection it offers is S-video.

I wanted to use an HTPC, will the output through the S-Video yield unintelligble text and poor picture quality?

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Hard to say. I have never been a fan of the s-vid out from my old TI 4200, but recently I used the svid connection on my laptop (mobile x300 based) and it was really quite decent.

It was at my parents house, so I didn't do anything close to a side by side compairision, but we watched a movie with it just fine.

I would say that you shouldn't expect better performance than a STB DVD player, but if you search around for a gfx card that is known for its good s-vid out, I think you would be able to get equivilent quality compared to a regular STB dvd player.

-Suntan

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
If you are trying to get equal s-video performance from an HTPC as a stand alone DVD player then almost any video card will do. However, if you consider 480i s-video quality to be good then I think you need to try 1080i with component cables. Once you have seen 1080i you will never watch Standard Def again!

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Read the post guys...

He says that an S-vid input is the best connection the TV has. How good of a picture can you get from a set of component cables taped to the outside back of the TV!

And FWIW, not all s-vid TV-outs on all gfx cards are created equal. The average STB DVD player can wipe the floor with some/most of them. But there are some out there that can compete.

-Suntan

·
Registered
602 Posts
I would not build a HTPC for this tv. The reason is that a stand alone dvd player would do just as good a job without all the hassle and for much cheaper.

Now if you already have a computer that you are going to use then hook it up via s-video and see how it looks.

Good luck.

·
Registered
913 Posts
depending on your video card and the softaware, yo can have a image that looks worse, the same or actually better than a standalone DVD player.

i have run s-video out to a 50" RPTV (MITSUBISHI) with a Radeon 9200...the image sucked....very soft and blurry..text was unreadable, stand alone dvd player vastly superior.

i have run s-video out with a Radeon x700 pro that had a dongle...the s-video output in standard mode was equal to the image quality of a stand alone dvd player, text was readable, but soft.

in the ATI software for this card, is a "button" that you can set that somehow tells the driver your outputting video....

the image (even for non-video) becomes RAZOR sharp....text becomes extremely sharp and readable

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I realize that S-video is almost the worst connection you can get, but its a free 50'' TV... so for a college student I think that I shouldn't complain (I'll save money now for a better TV later).

The reason I ask is because I already planned on builing an HTPC (I have almost all the parts, it doubles as a 'general' computer. There are a few different purposes for the HTPCs... only one of which is watching movies. So instead of attaching another STB DVD player to the TV, I was just curious if S-video through HTPC is as good as STB. It sounds like its not... or it is, barely.

I'll do some thinking (and testing). Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
913 Posts
depends on the video card.....get the right one and the s-video out is superb..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsurgeon
Which begs the question: Which one is the right one? Seriously, s-video quality is not often mentioned in reviews.

·
Registered
814 Posts
For desktop output, there use to be a program called tvtool that helped out on svideo output for compatible chipsets. It helped out quite a bit back then.

-pd

·
Registered
240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdermody
For desktop output, there use to be a program called tvtool that helped out on svideo output for compatible chipsets. It helped out quite a bit back then.

-pd
Yes, I second this suggestion. I used it back in the day and it made illegible text suddenly legible. Download the free trial version and see if it makes much of a difference for you.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsurgeon
Rather than stating that the right in superb could you mention at least one of those superb cards?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahmoncool
Problem is (I don't like it but whatcha gonna do) the best connection it offers is S-video.
Are you saying this TV doesn't have a scart connection?

·
Registered
51 Posts
One other suggestion is to knock up a VGA to SCART cable (I assume your TV has SCART?). I stupidly bought a new Philips in Dec and in typical Philips tradition it only has SCART and S-Video. The picture is great but I'd definately go plasma or lcd now. Anyway ... I use an ATI 9550 and the s-video out is crap so I knocked up the scart cable and the picture detail was much better.

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you are going to have a monitor connected to this computer for desktop work, and just view video on the TV, then I would recommend a Hollywood+ or DXR3, or most any hardware MPEG decoder. The S-video output from these cards is equal to a STB, and way better than any graphics adapter s-video I have tried. You can pick one of these cards up cheap at on-line auctions. But they won't help if you want to surf the web or check your email on the big screen.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roreman
Yes, I second this suggestion. I used it back in the day and it made illegible text suddenly legible. Download the free trial version and see if it makes much of a difference for you.
I've been running my HTPC to my 50" TV via the s-video connection for some time now. As far as tvtool goes, I don't think this applies anymore. I used to use it with my Geforce 2 card and it definitely helped that card. I think the newer cards have obsoleted tvtool, though.

I recently made a low cost upgrade to a Geforce FX5200 and the picture quality is top notch with the newer card, without tvtool.

When I was using tvtool on the old card, I'd say my PQ was slightly worse than I could get from my Panny DVD player via s-video. Now that I am running the FX5200 and VMR9, I'd have to say the picture quality is as good as or slightly better with the HTPC.

As far as why you'd want to use a HTPC with s-video out, we love it. Media file management from the media server to all the HTPC's in the house is the main reason for a HTPC if you ask me and this still applies through s-video.

·
Banned
4,296 Posts
svideo from a stand alone DVD player will beat svideo output on any video card

(exception the X card and other hardware decoders cause they work similiar to the stand alone DVD player but of course they are not video cards)

the svideo on your video card sucks cause how it works

the DVD video is deinterlaced to 480p and then scaled to the resolution you set your video card to

then you when output over svideo

the video must be downscaled back to 720x480 and then reinterlaced

this process causes a large loss of quality

you could set the desktop resolution to 720x480 to avoid the unnecessary scaling but there will always be a loss of detail and sharpness from the deinterlacing and reinterlacing

the X card and any other PC hardware decoders will match most DVD players when comparing on standard Def TVs

and will definitely be a better option than svideo on your video card

but there is no windows desktop

there is only hardware decoder that can do the windows desktop

and it is made by sigma designs but at 3 to 4 times the cost of the X card

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kny3twalker
svideo from a stand alone DVD player will beat svideo output on any video card

(exception the X card and other hardware decoders cause they work similiar to the stand alone DVD player but of course they are not video cards)

the svideo on your video card sucks cause how it works

the DVD video is deinterlaced to 480p and then scaled to the resolution you set your video card to

then you when output over svideo

the video must be downscaled back to 720x480 and then reinterlaced

this process causes a large loss of quality

you could set the desktop resolution to 720x480 to avoid the unnecessary scaling but there will always be a loss of detail and sharpness from the deinterlacing and reinterlacing

the X card and any other PC hardware decoders will match most DVD players when comparing on standard Def TVs

and will definitely be a better option than svideo on your video card

but there is no windows desktop

there is only hardware decoder that can do the windows desktop

and it is made by sigma designs but at 3 to 4 times the cost of the X card
Matrox Millennium G400 would be another good option. It can also output an interlaced video to TV in the same fashion that STB player/X-Card/PVR350 do. And it'll be able to output _all_ non-HD res. content, not just MPEG2. (only restriction is that the res. can't be higher than about 720x576 and the decoder has to use overlay). The drawback is that ReClock can't give a 100% proper lock on the refresh rate of the tv-out, so the playback isn't 100% smooth as on a STB (though pretty damn smooth most of the time).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.