AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the non HDCP DVI players out there being somewhat suspect on quality I was wondering is the Samsung HD-1000 a good option? It can output scaled up resolutions through the component outputs and is built like a tank. I have a L300U so my options are limited to players that are not HDCP compliant. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Wade

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Panasonic L300U is a front projector. Are you happy with your unit. Does it play all DVDs? Does it hang up or refuse to play certain ones? How long have you had it? Any problem upscaling certain DVD's? Thanks, Wade

·
Registered
242 Posts
Wade-

I got mine last summer. It was from the second batch that Harvey's received, one of 38 if I remember correctly. So far it has played everything I've thrown at it, DVD-V, DVD-A, CD, HDCD, and MP3's on CDR. Even DVD rentals from Blockbuster. The Pioneer DV-45a I had before picking up the HD1000 would have problems sometimes with dirty DVD's from blockbuster, even after wiping them down first.

I have it connnected to a Rotel RSP-1098 pre/pro which in turn is connected to a Pioneer 43" plasma and the picture is nothing short of amazing. I have it set on 1080i and while the picture is not as good as true HD, it's a lot closer to HD looking than 480p DVD resolution. And yes so far it has upconverted every DVD to date so no problems in that regard.

I really had to think twice at the time about playing $1,500 for a DVD player but that thought quickly goes away everytime I watch a DVD. I read all these Denon 2900 ($1,200), 5900 ($2,00) and Pioneer 59ai ($1,800) threads and can't believe the problems these guys are having, some of it just plain DVI compatibility issues and I honestly wouldn't go near DVI right now.

Good luck finding one. I don't know if Harvey's received anymore after the second batch or not. If they didn't then there is less than 100 of them floating around in the US. And, Harvey's was the only vendor that would perform the "firmware" upgrade. There is hope though, someone said they saw a HD2000 on display at the Samsung booth during CES a few weeks ago.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have anymore questions.

-Skip

·
Registered
224 Posts
Apparently it will not upscale copy protected DVD's, this is from Samsung.com: *Notice:If playing a copy-protected DVD, 720p output or 1080i output is automatically converted to 480p output. Picture flickering may occur for 1~2 seconds during the shifting process.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I understand it the firmware upgrade that Harveys applied to it will allow it to upscale copy protected DVDs. I think you can also download it and applied it yourself. Wade

·
Registered
242 Posts
James-

My Samsung DVD-HD1000 will, without a doubt, upscale any DVD I put into it. My Pioneer plasma will display the video resolution of any input signal and everytime I checked it was 1080i. The key is the "firmware" update that Harvey's performed before it was shipped. Do a search in this forum on "HD1000" and you will see. Disney's Lion King and Finding Nemo look fantastic upscaled and Disney is notorious for copy protection.

-Skip

·
Registered
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jamesboggs2
That's great to have this confirmed that firmware can enable it to upconvert over component, unfortunately $1500 is above my budget for a dvd player.
James-

At the time, it was above mine as well. But I felt like it was a chance to own something special. I've read good things about some of the other DVD players here that up-convert over component. They sound like they might require a little more TLC, but depending on your display, may be worth the effort. Now if I could just find the hack to make it code-free as well.

-Skip

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.