AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started considering the SASEM USB OnAir HD receiver as a possibility since my computer lacks the PCI 2.2 support needed by MyHD. Before I look any further, though, does anyone know if/how SASEM deals with the Broadcast Flag? This is a primary consideration in acquiring an HD-receiver for the PC, but I haven't been able to find any information which would say one way or the other.

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
The Sasem has no support for the BF.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Beefcake
Since your computer doesn't have pci 2.2, does it have USB 2.0? You need USB 1.0 for SDTV, but you'll need USB2.0 for HDTV reception.

-Beef
No, my old computer doesn't have USB 2.0 either. But I figure I can fix that pretty easily with a $20 add-in card, whereas getting to PCI 2.2 would require me to replace the motherboard.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
You may want to download and try the Fusion demo software before you purchase a software decoder solution to ensure you have enough processor power.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Good suggestion, Kei. I did that too...

I used to design PCI chipsets, but I can't remember the difference between PCI 2.1 and 2.2. I would go and make sure that the USB 2.0 card you plan to get will work on PCI 2.1. Don't assume it will. That way, you will cover your bases.

-Beef

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
I have a 1 Mhz Athlon that has PCI 2.2, and it doesn't have quite enough horsepower for the Fusion software. Slightly jerky at times such that I wouldn't want to use it all the time, and in fact don't use it at all.

Even though I'd looked before when the OP asked in another thread about 2.2, it never occurred to me that he might not have a powerful enough computer to do software.

BTW, the video card on the system might not be sufficient either

·
Registered
934 Posts
oh well, although I foudn it funny that you said you have a 1MHz Athlon....that's pretty slow! I know you meant 1GHz = 1000MHz.

hahaha...

Sorry you couldn't run the software correctly. If it's a socket A board, you could get a faster Athlon for

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Beefcake
oh well, although I foudn it funny that you said you have a 1MHz Athlon....that's pretty slow! I know you meant 1GHz = 1000MHz.

hahaha...

Sorry you couldn't run the software correctly. If it's a socket A board, you could get a faster Athlon for

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kei Clark
You may want to download and try the Fusion demo software before you purchase a software decoder solution to ensure you have enough processor power.
I'm not planning to use this old computer for playback, but only for recording.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Its not the recording that requires the performance, it is the playback.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Karyk
Ordinarily I'd go for a processor upgrade, but I'd need a bios upgrade to make a significant change, and it just has PC133 memory, so since it's working I'm just leaving it alone with the idea that I'll someday change out the MB, CPU and memory all at once. Sort of an "If it ain't broke" type theory.
That's no fun! I believe my old Asus A7V will turn 4 years old next month. It currently has 768MiB of PC133 (CAS 2) RAM and a T-Bred B running at 24x102MHz for a nice 2.448GHz. Just enough for full software mode/720p Highest,1080i Highest playback with my Fusion 2. I think I could throw a nice mobile Barton in there and try for 2.52GHz or so. Then I think my board will be "maxed out" CPU-wise. Then again, not every board will take as many upgrades as the A7V. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.