AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
It is a totally difference experience watching a projected image/movie/concert vs. one on a display.

If you haven't experienced this you need to, but don't catch the disease!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Size of the image and characteristics. Just love a projected image :)

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
As the others say it's a different 'feel' watching reflected light (which make me laugh when I see posts about some projector being 'like a giant plasma').

The other thing is that I have a 2.40:1 screen, so I find it a nice 'fit' with using a 16:9 TV for day to day stuff as the great majority of my projector viewing seems to be 2.40:1 content. Even with a really good black level TV I'm still aware of the black bars when watching 2.40:1 content on a TV...not so on my projector.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
Screen size has a lot to do with it...As does the ability to watch widescreen movies without letterboxes. But I also find 16ftL or so in a dark room very soothing to watch. With flat panels I have to add bias lighting to avoid eye strain with long sessions at night as it can be tough to tame the brightness of most LED panels.

·
Registered
15,303 Posts
Screen size is the main attribute.

The filmic look is another (since I watch mostly movies, and grew up watching movies in the movie theaters). I also really like what a flat panel can do for some movies too. Though when I was into flat panels for some reason I was much more distracted in a videophile-like way, chasing a certain image quality. Once I moved to projection I just started enjoying the content much more. I've watched vastly more movies on my projection set up than I ever did on my plasma.

Another is the flexibility to alter the image size, via zooming/masking, to get the best combination of immersion and picture quality depending on the source.

I might have said "watching movies in the dark" as well, since that to me is a huge part of being immersed in a movie. But I would (and did) watch a flat panel in the dark as well.

Another bonus: along with the image size is the commensurate size of the surround sound. Big speaker set ups matched with much smaller flat panels always created a mismatch between the picture and sound for me. With the big screen image, I can enjoy the fuller bigger sound of larger, more full range speakers, and it feels "right" for the image.

·
Banned
11 Posts
Or are there other qualities of a projector that you prefer over TVs?
The screen can be totally invisible if not in use. There is no need to reserve space for it. A screen can be mounted in front of a window, a door or a cabinet. (I have experienced all these mounting alternatives in different rooms.)

·
Banned
11 Posts
Oh I forget: You can share a projector between your normal place of living and your holiday house. Only the screen and the speakers are needed twice.

·
Registered
29,301 Posts
Screen size, but also the whole presentation with nothing but image seen up front, since speakers and subs are not seen. They are hidden behind the AT screen and this ties the audio to the image very well. I like a big sound stage and that does not fit very well with a small screen.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
Image size, immersion, cinema levels of image brightness and a scope screen - a tv doesn't have any of those attributes, so it's how I prefer to watch movies which I find is far more cinematic in presentation.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
There's nothing wrong with watching movies on TV,if its at least 65in,but like R Harkness said watching a movie on a projector is a different experience, being 63yrs old,it make me feel like a kid again!

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
Screen size, but also the whole presentation with nothing but image seen up front, since speakers and subs are not seen. They are hidden behind the AT screen and this ties the audio to the image very well. I like a big sound stage and that does not fit very well with a small screen.
Just as Mike said. AUDIO is the other reason to own a projector and AT screen.

The center channel can be directly behind the screen and results in superior panning of sound across the stage. I would not give this up for a better image since the image I get with a JVC projector and EN4K screen is so good. It could be better with a flat panel TV. But, in my opinion it would not be worth the trade off.

And I know you are looking for reasons "other than size". But, it cannot be overstated how much viewing angle plays in the overall immersion of your theater experience. I find that a 40-50 degree viewing angle is best and I prefer 45-50. To get this same immersion factor on a 65'' screen you would need to sit 5 feet from the screen to achieve a 50 degree viewing angle. Not many people are doing this with their flat panel TV's and are thus diminishing the theatrical experience.

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
For me, in addition the much larger screen size I have to echo Gary's comment viewing in scope and immersion. In addition, a LCoS/Q can just offer a more cinematic, natural image compared to a flat panel. The projected image with this technology just takes on a certain 'look' I've never seen on a flat panel including OLED.

·
Registered
15,303 Posts
There's nothing wrong with watching movies on TV,if its at least 65in,but like R Harkness said watching a movie on a projector is a different experience, being 63yrs old,it make me feel like a kid again!
I know what you mean about feeling like a kid again. A big projected image can really bring back some of the sensations of viewing a movie when you were young.

For instance, I'd seen Jaws something like 25 times in the movie theaters (my favorite movie). Later I watched the DVD of Jaws many times on my CRT and then plasma screen. It was never the same. But once I saw it on a projection set up in a store, when investigating projectors, it changed the experience. For the first time I was experiencing it much as I did in the theaters. The shark actually looked big again, the way my eyes could scan the horizon almost like I was on the boat with the characters, just as it was when watching on the big cinema screens. It felt cinematic, again. I knew right then that I had to bring that experience home.

And this has been emphasized again and again. I think, for film-nuts, the fact we can see old movies on the big screen is as much or more a compelling experience as watching newer releases. I grew up watching King Kong (1933) on small CRT TVs and while it was great, last week I watched it again on my projection set up and it's just completely different.
It's like I could walk into the settings, and Kong no longer is the size of a small model, he is towering over me! So I get move of a sense of what audiences actually experienced when that film was released, when using a projector. In that sense a projector feels like a time machine for movie buffs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.