AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recorded Steven Spielberg's "Hook" off Showtime this morning, only to notice that the beginning and the end of the movie being in OAR but the rest of it in full-screen mode.

Whatever happened to "we always do movies OAR" commitment?

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
So why is that only HBO gets the bad rap? At least HBO gets the lip synch right. I'd much rather deal with non OAR and perfect lip synch as opposed to OAR and lip synch that's way off (see my thread on this). This lip synch issue drives me nuts watching Showtime HD movies yet it seems that very few people comment on this.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
maybe others don't have the problem often I have it on one of my systems at times and not the other.. a channel change away and back fixes it.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Matt Stone
They show films in P&S all the time, but I don't think they ever crop 2.35:1 to 1.85:1.

The most recent of example of non-oar on Sho that I have seen was Legally Blonde- which is 2.35:1 but was shown open matte 1.85:1.

Andrew B.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Open matte doesn't bother me. You get all the picture shown in the theater and more.

But at least with "Hook", the picture quality was quite poor - soft, with lots of edge enhancement and noise filtering. In that case I'd rather have everything smaller and sharper, letterboxed 2.35:1.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I agree. Hook looked about DVD quality, and sometimes worse than DVD quality today. It looked zoomed, soft, and grainy. The sound was poor as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.