AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told from a DVD web site (whose name escapes me) that "Shrek" is a good "reference" DVD title because it has a good video transfer and does not have the problems that some better titles have. Is that true?

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
this is an opinion type question...i think shrek is reference!!monsters inc on the other hand is okay,but abit soft in some scenes.nither is in the league of toy story 2.

brickie

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
I think that 'real' movies should be used as reference, instead of

drawings. The animated movies looks good on everything.

Nich

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Spite of some minor problems...yes...it can still be considered to be a reference of sorts; only Toy Story 2 and the Academy Awards DVD screener of Monsters, Inc. (not the consumer release) betters it as they are truly of "reference" quality...

-THTS

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
nich,

animation does tend to look good on everything,especially the newer stuff coming out..a true test is a live film based movie.

hey frank,

where is this academy awards screener of MI?never knew it existed,and why would quality be better than "consumer"release?

brickie

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by William
Shrek is very good but suffers from slight EE (a small loss of detail) and slight compression artifacts. So it is not quite reference.
I watched "Shrek" many times and did see edge enhancement, but I did not see any compression artifacts. What are the artifacts look like and where in the movie can I see them?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've seen edge enhancement in shrek, and compression artifacts in monsters inc and toystory 2. I'm sure there has to be better dvds out there than these in terms of picture quality. Starwars II comes to mind.

·
Registered
24,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bcwang
I've seen edge enhancement in shrek, and compression artifacts in monsters inc and toystory 2. I'm sure there has to be better dvds out there than these in terms of picture quality. Starwars II comes to mind.
bcwang,

I'm not sure what you are looking for :( It is after all DVD. I think EP II looks really good but soft compared to these other examples. There are probably less than ten reference DVDs and even those could be picked apart by someone. I think that we have to get away from saying that this DVD or that DVD is the single best because as with projection technology there may be no single best.

If we on this forum were to develop a 1-10 scale for PQ of DVDs and 10 represents flawless there might be none that could pass the muster to sit in the 10 category. I believe that 9 would include all of the above choices.

Art

·
Registered
976 Posts
Dinosaur is THE reference animated dvd, followed by Fantasia 2000. As films both may be lacking in story/content vs Shrek, Monster's Inc, and Ice Age, but the PQ on Dinosaur is unbelievable.

In any event, let's see how the PQ of Ice Age dvd compares to its d-theater version.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I've always thought Shrek was a little soft. This was reinforced when I recently watched it in HD on HBO.

Dinosaur has got to be the best. I LOVE Tarzan, too- the colors are eye-candy overload! Monsters Inc. is real nice, too.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
art,

well said..no dvd will ever satisfy everyone,and we will always have our own opinion as to what we think looks reference..

i don't agree with many on the episode II transfer, i feel it's just decent..i'd give it a 7.i have seen much better.not that it doesn't have some moments where i go WOW!!

i agree,dinosaur is AWESOME!!!i forgot about it..it has the whole package as does toy story2.i don't think it's quite on toy story's 2 level though.most aren't in animation terms...tarzan is another one that was mentioned..it is eye candy as well...todd summed it up best,tarzan colors still blow me away..

brickie

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Shrek is on HBO-HD again today, and I recommend anyone that can get it to check it out and compare it to the DVD. I've seen the HBO version a few times and I think it blows away the DVD mainly because it is 1080i. I'll probably buy the movie again if it ever comes out on D-Theater or HD-DVD.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I have Shrek in 1080i on D-VHS recorded from HBO and it does indeed look fabulous. But I think that if I had to pick the best looking CGI-based film I have ever seen it would have to be Final Fantasy in 1080i. I was not very impressed with the DVD but the HD version that aired on HBO HD really knocked my socks off. Far better looking than anything I have seen to date in the CGI realm. I'm sure the HD version of Dinosaur is a real stunner as well, but I haven't seen it. As for cell-animated DVD I recall that the Akira Special Edition DVD was a real stunner with rich colors and wonderful animation. But that is more or less from a somewhat distant memory since I haven't watched it in about 8 months. If you are remotely interested in Anime this is one on the "must have" list.

Having said the above, Art makes a wonderfully valid point. There is too much diversity in equipment, setups, and personal taste for anyone to make declarative statements that a given DVD is THE best. As always, your mileage may vary.

--Jerome

·
Registered
24,937 Posts
If you guys want to be disappointed by everything you see on your home theater systems then get ready for The Lion King in IMAX. I saw AOTC two weeks ago in IMAX ( spectacular in it's own right) and there was a Lion King trailer. :eek: :eek: It might be able to get better than this but I kind of fu**en doubt it! I have never seen anything projected in front of me that was even close to this. When it comes out I'm going to take the kids since I know they would enjoy it too.:D

Art

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
i'll tell you that many people i know, myself included having been waiting for this film to come on dvd!!!!i know you said imax,but that may be the sign it's on the way....i belive that it is the best animated movie disney has ever made in terms of story...i hope they don't drop the ball on the dvd transfer..

brickie

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Originally posted by brickie:

"hey frank,

where is this academy awards screener of MI?never knew it existed,and why would quality be better than "consumer"release?"

hey back, young wippersnapper...

There were a number of "screener" DVDs of movies with Academy Awards potential that were offered by the studios to the press, etc.; I was lent several, one being Monsters, Inc.; that's where I derived my opinion from.

Perhaps the reason why the image looks better on the screener than the consumer version is because the former only contains the movie itself along with its DD soundtrack and that is it, so I surmise full bit picture and sound allocation was made possible thus enabling the high quality of both image and sound... ;)

-THTS

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
you wanna sell it?....just kiddin

brickie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.