AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading several days ago in another thread that Universal screwed up the transfer of Smokey and the Bandit but I couldn't find it using search. Is this the case? I wouldn't mind picking this up if it was at least decent.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I thought it looked fine for a 30 year old film. In fact I was hestitant in getting it at first but ended up being glad I did. The print they used is clean and the color tones are quite nice. Unfortunately the sound is mono so it is not great. But Universal formatted the 2 featurettes to be Anamorphic, which they have not been doing. I really enjoyed watching the film again, it was alot of fun.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mono sound?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.greenway /forum/post/0

mono, ala the original soundtrack, ala the same sound you would have heard in the theater on May 27th 1977 when it opened.

I just hate hearing "tick turd" in anything less than stereo.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstinky /forum/post/0

I just hate hearing "tick turd" in anything less than stereo.

Well if you ever heard it in stereo someone was getting creative with the mix, although it wouldn't shock me if there were some dual mono/stereo mix laser discs floating around.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I just got it from Netflix and it looks and sounds good. There's some grain here and there, but overall, it's sharp. The sound is nice and clear, especially on the music. I could have sworn there was some stereo separation.

IMHO, if you're a fan, buy it.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Does the transfer have any annoying edge enhancement?

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan /forum/post/0

Does the transfer have any annoying edge enhancement?

Thanks,

Tom

I remember seeing no signs of excessive edge enhancement on my 110" screen. Given my expectations, I came away very impressed with this HD DVD's picture quality. I've recently been selling HD DVDs that disappoint me, but this one is a keeper for sure.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilstinky /forum/post/0

I remember reading several days ago in another thread that Universal screwed up the transfer of Smokey and the Bandit but I couldn't find it using search. Is this the case? I wouldn't mind picking this up if it was at least decent.

Are you saying someone is complaining that it doesn't look like MI3? It isn't supposed to, it's supposed to look like "Smokey And The Bandit". Just because it looks exactly the way it should in no way suggests anything is at all wrong with Warner's transfer. Read the published reviews, the HD DVD looks the way the film did -- can't ask for more than that! (In fact, that's exactly what a high definition transfer should deliver!)

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I have this Disk for weeks now. It is just fantastic and a great transferr considering its age.

Compared to the Bluray, Dirty Dancing disk I got last week. (ewwww) Smokey looks like it was made last week.

Smokey is very very good. A terrific resoration

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Thanks guys!

I just placed an order with Amazon

Tom

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Hang on there for a second

First of all the sound is not in mono. It is 5.1 with a VERY VERY good discrete soundtrack for it's age. You can hear tires squealing and other random noises in the surrounds, the car chases pan around in the correct directions of the cars and the center is mixed very well. For it's age the soundtrack is just completely awesome for this movie.

The PQ is also top notch for this movie, for me it was on par with Raod Warrior another suprisingly good transfer for an older movie. The scenes were shapr the colors popped really well and it was very clean.

Smokey s one of the better older catalog realses out there.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Just watched it this evening! The picture quality is excellent and easily the best I've seen it (excellent color, just fine black levels, and very good image depth -- 3D). Further, the DD+ 5.1 audio is very good with effective surround wrap when called for. Given the age of the film, I'd say it's a mighty fine HD DVD release and definitely one Warner can feel good about!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.