AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some in the wall speaker wire on a roll of 50' from mono price. I'm wondering if it's directional. Being do I need to take the end of the cable that is on the spool and run it to the receiver or to the speakers? I'm not sure how to tell on this CL2 stuff

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
But HDMI cable is directional, right?

·
Registered
6,156 Posts
All of these cables are carrying alternating current (AC). That means that they are simultaneously carrying the same signal in both directions. Tough to be directional under those conditions.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I meant to say that a HDMI connection is one directional. For example you can pass a video signal from a receiver to a TV but on the same HDMI cable, the receiver can not pass its video back to the receiver. But that is dumb to say. So I can only plead a massive brain fart for why I stunk up my posting.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvetyne /forum/post/15582268

The cable still isn't directional, the transmitter and receiver are.

What I meant. Can I go back and delete all my postings in this thread?

·
Registered
71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/15582150

All of these cables are carrying alternating current (AC). That means that they are simultaneously carrying the same signal in both directions. Tough to be directional under those conditions.

Not really carrying current in both directions simultaneously but rather the current is changing directions frequently (alternating).

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Actually, the HDCP handshake transmits data from the TV to the receiver.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVGA /forum/post/15581946

I bought some in the wall speaker wire on a roll of 50' from mono price. I'm wondering if it's directional. Being do I need to take the end of the cable that is on the spool and run it to the receiver or to the speakers? I'm not sure how to tell on this CL2 stuff

No it is not directional. No wire is directional.

*Some* interconnects have shielding that is connected/grounded at only one end, and those are directional only in the sense that you'd want the shield grounded at the source end rather than wherever its going so the noise goes to earth through the source and not through the amp or whatever. But even in this instance there is nothing directional about any of the conductors or shield whatsoever. Electrons don't care. They take the path of least resistance.

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Not really carrying current in both directions simultaneously but rather the current is changing directions frequently (alternating).

If you think of a cable (correctly) as a loop, this is true. But if you think, as many laymen do, of a cable as a connection from point A to point B, then there is current flowing both from and to point B at all times.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
My monster subwoofer cable is directional

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbr11 /forum/post/15582356

what i meant. Can i go back and delete all my postings in this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by will2007 /forum/post/15582096

no.

:d

1 - 16 of 16 Posts