AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the shows and movies, but I am by no means a Trekkie, and I don't know much about what is going on in the Trek universe today.

I've heard there is a new movie coming in 2008 but its going to be a prequel of some type with all new cast?

I would really like to see the next generation cast in another movie, I just don't think they were given a lot to work with on the movies they made except for First Contact. They could have kept the Borg storyline going into the other movies and made it really interesting. I believe given the right scripts they should have lasted just as long if not longer as the original crew did with 6 movies.

Right now I've been watching season 6 on DVD, and these shows are a pleasure to watch, I really miss not having something like this on TV.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
Star Trek films have never been given the biggest or best budgets to work with and from what i understand over half the budget for the last trek movie went on paying the actors who kept demanding more and more to return to their roles. when you consider how much money they earned at the box office i think the actor's salaries were out of control and so it's no wonder another next generation film was never made.

The next movie will be a prequel to the original sixties series with a young Kirk and Spock....could be good if they give it a good budget.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator840 /forum/post/0

I like the shows and movies, but I am by no means a Trekkie, and I don't know much about what is going on in the Trek universe today.

I've heard there is a new movie coming in 2008 but its going to be a prequel of some type with all new cast?

I would really like to see the next generation cast in another movie, I just don't think they were given a lot to work with on the movies they made except for First Contact. They could have kept the Borg storyline going into the other movies and made it really interesting. I believe given the right scripts they should have lasted just as long if not longer as the original crew did with 6 movies.

Right now I've been watching season 6 on DVD, and these shows are a pleasure to watch, I really miss not having something like this on TV.
Nemesis didn't do all that well at the box office, and my understanding was that was supposed to be the last film for the "Next Generation" cast.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I happened to be watching some TNG this morning (from the Time Travel DVD collection - good stuff, I'll be writing a review sometime soon). I remembered when the show I came ou - that I was in college - and then the awful realization that was 20 YEARS AGO.

I think that hints at one of the problem the series would have - the actors are too old for the parts. But then you get to the real problem - TNG was on for 7 years. What's left to cover in movies???

For all their faults, the Original Series movies worked because fans hungred for more. There was a sense the TV show was cancelled too soon. We wanted more.

Well, as much as I liked TNG - I've gotten my fill and don't have a burning need to see more. Those stores are *more* than played out.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I wouldn't mind see a movie with a mix of the last few series. Voyager, DS9 and next gen any way.

I always wanted to know what happened with the voyager crew after they got home. How the non-earth pepole adapted and such.

A prequel could be alright as long as they stay away from all that time travel B&B seem to like. Enterprise had far to much of that as well as not staying within the lore already made by other shows.

·
Registered
587 Posts
the franchise need a fresh perspective. the TNG movies were never as good at the tv shows... and the tv shows went to hell once Ron Moore left.

I think a new start would be welcome, so long as they keep the latter day decision makers away from the process.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm just glad Rick Berman was shown the door,any new series and movies will have a fresh perspective.I'm sure JJ Abrams will do a good job on the movie,but I kinda hope he won't be involved in any new inevitable series-his tv shows always fall apart badly after starting out well-Lost,Alias anyone?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNameGuy /forum/post/0

I happened to be watching some TNG this morning (from the Time Travel DVD collection - good stuff, I'll be writing a review sometime soon). I remembered when the show I came ou - that I was in college - and then the awful realization that was 20 YEARS AGO.

I think that hints at one of the problem the series would have - the actors are too old for the parts. But then you get to the real problem - TNG was on for 7 years. What's left to cover in movies???

For all their faults, the Original Series movies worked because fans hungred for more. There was a sense the TV show was cancelled too soon. We wanted more.

Well, as much as I liked TNG - I've gotten my fill and don't have a burning need to see more. Those stores are *more* than played out.

Nemesis made around 30 million at the boxoffice and was considered a flop, until it was released on DVD where it sold very well. But I don't know if Paramount ever broke even or not. Its a shame they couldn't have come up with a better story line for the final movie.

I think the TNG as some adventures left, The Enterprise E is a cool ship and I'd like to see more of it. I am on season 6, though I've seen many episodes over the years on TV some of them I've never seen. Did they ever finish up the storyline with Spock on Romulus with the underground movement. If not, that is what Nemesis should have been about, instead of a evil Picard clone.

EDIT: Nemesis made $43 million, still a poor showing. I was a manager of a movie theatre at the time, I remember very strong opening that Friday night (the Star Trek faithful) but after that the crowds were very light. Also Nemesis had to deal with Lord of the Rings which was released later that week.

·
Registered
587 Posts
it kinda is at rest right now... i think we're just debating whether it's worhtwhile to try it again... and if TNG is still fertile ground.

The TNG cast isn't worth the money they demand, IMO. I think you can find DOZENS of people capable of writing/producing another great Trek show... but I'm not exactly confident in Paramount's ability to select the right people. I beleive it was 'Generations' where they got two writers who's Trek knowledge consisted of a HANDFUL of tv episodes (no exaggeration).

Berman and Co. should have been fired on the spot after killing off Kirk in the most anti-climactic manner possible. Severe irresponsibility and incompetence imo.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
If Leonard Nimoy is up to it, a movie surrounding Spock might be able to draw an audience.....with other ST characters from other series for support.

Maybe??

Ed

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Star Trek has been on life support ever since First Contact (which wasn't that great a movie) and I'm glad they pulled the plug and put the whole thing out of its misery. I think the flashback movie is a potentially good idea and I'll be in line to see it if it sounds like they did a good job, however.

·
Registered
342 Posts
IMHO, TNG movie series is done. A prequel would be great "IF" the cast and writing can bring back the soul of the original series. I think if the prequel does great both critically and at the box office, "THEN" we can wrap up the Star Trek series with elements of DS9, Voyager, etc. BTW, I thought Nemesis was not that bad, First Contact and Undiscovered Country was cool, Wrath of Khan was great.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I guess there is some life left. Here we go.

I like the original cast and think Spock is due his own movie.

Ed

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
Isn't a Kirk/Spock prequel Starfleet Academy in the works?

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNameGuy /forum/post/0

I have that disk set and the transfer image is excellent. TNG might have played out, but review the resurgence of the remastered original Star Trek. Maybe TNG will be remastered-when will this end? I just enjoy it.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I don't like the idea of a prequel, I would rather go the other way.

To some extent to break free of having to cross reference everything so that the fans will be happy

There have been some interesting possabilities already in the series, in Voyager you had Species 8207 (or whatever number it had).

Also some things were introduced in the Enterprise series like the species behind the Xindi threat.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Trek was about the evolution of humans and their uniqueness in the universe. Its logical they start a new series 200 years beyond Voyager dealing with species evolved higher than humans. Just use the movie as the pilot. With HDTV it would make for some great eye candy, especially if they use good writers. Or, dust off some of the paperbacks and cast new actors to play the old roles, hasn't hurt Bond.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.