AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the impression SXRD was Sony's brand name for the proprietary LCoS technology they licensed from JVC.

So JVC technology with Sony branding, manufacturing, and marketing. No?

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident
So JVC technology with Sony branding, manufacturing, and marketing. No?
Yes...

http://www.jvc.com/Presentations/HDI...rodisplay.html

"D-ILA utilizes a highly sophisticated form of 3-chip, vertically oriented LCOS (liquid crystal on silicon) technology that adds an inorganic alignment layer which both stabilizes the device performance and maximizes chip production. The result is superior resolution, grayscaling, brightness, and color reproduction when compared not only to LCD and DMD (aka DLP â„¢), but also to other existing LCOS systems."

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...?oneclick=true

"Part of SXRD's secret, Sony says, is the use of a different form of liquid crystal material, Sony's unique and thinner "Vertically Aligned Liquid Crystal"."

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
The image amplification process that evolved into LCoS was originally thought up by Hughes circa mid-80s, probably originally for military purposes. It's been evolving since then, and took the light reflecting off a liquid crystal-coated CMOS design some time during the late 90s. Hughes-JVC (then later just JVC) were the original makers of projection systems using the technology under the ILA and D-ILA names. Hitachi were the first to use the LCoS name. Sony were pretty late into the game, but being Sony, had to think up some abstract name for it that they could trademark and advertise it under, thus we get SXRD.

We really don't need to have 3+ names for the same thing, but that's life.

Sony's LCoS system is as far as I'm aware an 100% Sony build, and doesn't use any licenced technology. I don't think there is a patent on the LCoS concept the way there is for DLP.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"Sony's LCoS system is as far as I'm aware an 100% Sony build, and doesn't use any licenced technology. "

That is indeed the case by all accounts.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't it seem odd that SXRD is touting the exact same patented innovations to LCoS that D-ILA uses? "Joint venture" was mentioned when speculation about what seemed like an obvious patent infringement case was going to take place, so maybe licensing is the wrong word.

I also remember reading the preproduction Qualia 004 that went out to reviewers (like WSR) actually had JVC panels in it which further suggests behind the scenes collaboration between the 2 companies.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't it seem odd that SXRD is touting the exact same patented innovations to LCoS that D-ILA uses?
Not from Sony, no.

If Sony could, they'd claim gravity was a Sony technology.

Quote:
"Joint venture" was mentioned when speculation about what seemed like an obvious patent infringement case was going to take place, so maybe licensing is the wrong word.
Companies sue each other over this sort of stuff all the time. It doesn't mean there is actually any substance to it.

Quote:
I also remember reading the preproduction Qualia 004 that went out to reviewers (like WSR) actually had JVC panels in it
It has Sony panels.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Quote:
Doesn't it seem odd that SXRD is touting the exact same patented innovations to LCoS that D-ILA uses? .
Which "patented inovations" are you referring to?

Quote:
"Joint venture" was mentioned when speculation about what seemed like an obvious patent infringement case was going to take place, so maybe licensing is the wrong word..
Obvious patent infingement case? Was there a lawsuit. Was there some kind of settlement? Or did a bunch of people speculate that the Qualia was "late" because of Ip issues. :)

Quote:
I also remember reading the preproduction Qualia 004 that went out to reviewers (like WSR) actually had JVC panels in it.
Now where did that one come from? Maybe gregr could comment?

You seem to be accepting internet forum speculations and rumors as facts! :)

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Art,

As you're well aware rumor is far from fact ;)

Given the historic problems with LCoS yield do you think it's more likely that Sony had issues in getting the SXRD production line up and running? I do.

Cheers,

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kotches
Art,

As you're well aware rumor is far from fact ;)

Given the historic problems with LCoS yield do you think it's more likely that Sony had issues in getting the SXRD production line up and running? I do.

Cheers,
So true John , I was just looking to jog a memory or two about that. I knew nothing more. :)

Art

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as the lawsuit goes, there was this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstites
Tryg,

To my knowledge, there is no lawsuit.

Companies routinely enter into joint development agreements where information/technology is shared and becomes useable by either company. Obviously, a smart company would not expose all it's relevant technology in such an agreement, keeping key IP or manufacturing expertise to itself.

If you look at the SXRD devices closely you will come to the conclusion they are almost an identical knock off of D-ILA...at least as far as design goes. Actually producing them in quantity and with a decent yield might take some time to get a handle on...after all, JVC/Hughes has been doing it for 30 years if you count the experience with legacy ILA devices.

Tom Stites

"Speaking only for myself...."

·
Registered
477 Posts
As Carled wrote, JVC-Hughes has been working on D-ILA=LCOS for some time, so long in fact, that the word is that many of their basic patents have expired.

But "ILA" and "D-ILA" are two different things. "ILA" was a technology Hughes used to amplify CRT outputs where D-ILA is vertically aligned LCOS.

Until the last two years the only company producing vertically aligned LCOS was JVC, but in the last two years most of the companies have gone to vertically aligned LCOS as it clearly has contrast, manufacturing, and reliability advantages over the older TN technology.

I think people are confusing "Branding" with "Patenting" of a technology. Sony is "Branding" their Vertically Aligned LCOS as being "SXRD." A "brand" is a name that a company chooses to give their product. They could have also have patents on specific improvements they have made, but I have not seen them claim that they have "patented" verically aligned LCOS.

·
Premium Member
25,004 Posts
"But "ILA" and "D-ILA" are two different things. "ILA" was a technology Hughes used to amplify CRT outputs where D-ILA is vertically aligned LCOS."

Right; it seems that keeping the ILA in the name is a misnomer, as DILA is no more an "image light amplifier" than other microdisplay devices.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz
Right; it seems that keeping the ILA in the name is a misnomer, as DILA is no more an "image light amplifier" than other microdisplay devices.
I guess the idea was to keep the name their customers were familiar with - like saying "it's ILA, only digital" or something. That's a guess anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddisplay
But "ILA" and "D-ILA" are two different things. "ILA" was a technology Hughes used to amplify CRT outputs where D-ILA is vertically aligned LCOS.
DILA and ILA are still basically the same technology. All that was done was to replace the "reading" light from a specialized IR CRT with a directly addressable semiconductor. The addressable semiconductor provides a similar sort of stimulous for the light valve, although with the benefits of a much smaller package size and ease of shading and setup. Since there is a 1 to 1 mapping between the display pixel and it's location on the light valve, shading only needs to be done once whereas the old ILA were setup and shaded on a per source basis (ugh!).

The operating principle of ILA and DILA are still the same though, an image is "drawn" on one side of the valve which modulates the reflectance on the other side. The reflected/"writing" light can be much brighter which is analogous to a transistor gain. The reading light is analogous to the base of a bipolar transistor. So the analogy with the behavior of a transistor is where the light amplification term comes from.

As for SXRD, it is definitely a knockoff of DILA. From what I've gathered though much of the original Hughes patents on ILA have lapsed. If there is infringement on newer DILA patents though, I would expect JVC and Sony to come to terms without a public lawsuit which may in fact be what happened.

Also as mentioned the ILA technology was invented by Hughes Aircraft company and then eventually sold to JVC.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.