AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a new TV. I've done a ton of research and I'm finding that it's hard to beat the 8500. Almost bought one a few months back, but decided to wait till some of the 2010's hit the market. With the new Sony's and the Samsung C7100 or 7000, whatever it is, it seems like none of them are coming close to the 8500. 3-D aside (I'm not adopting yet), I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the 8500, 55in for the living room and 46in for the bedroom. Can anyone tell me if this is a good move or bad. I'm not an expert or anything, but I just can't see anything topping the 8500. Thanks guys, any input would be great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well honestly it all comes down to preference but I ended up ordering my 8500 a few nights ago after extensive searching on all upcoming 2010 models. It seems that after Samsungs lawsuit they are afraid to do local dimming now so that to me means all of their LED sets will be a little less on par with the 8500's picture quality. The biggest disappointment this year is that every company wants to push 3D and IMO I could care less about that. All this is saying to me is that the Kuro and 8500 will be the kings of their respective panel technology for a while longer.

I'd say at the prices you can find the 8500 for now it's definetely well worth it if you are willing to spend the money.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thoughts exactly. I was just bummed to find that all of Sammy's new 2010's are all Edge-Lit. From the pic's in other threads about the C7000, the flashlighting is in full effect on the 2010's. The wife and I are going to hit up the local stores this weekend and the prices on the 55 and 46 just seem to be at the right point.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
One of the benefits of the new top end 3D models is that in order to support full 3D these TV have faster and more powerfull video porcessing chips with more built in memory. These eables them to have more powerfull upscaling algorithims, better Vector adaptive motion compensation de-intgerlacing support, and less lag in 2D mode due the faster processors. IMHO in a couple of years we will stop thinking of high end models as 3D models but will think of 3D support as one on the standard features of the thes models which will eventually be in almos all if not all HDTVs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm also trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on the 8500. My problem is that I would love to see what the c8000 has to offer. I THINK it has some kind of local dimming( maybe pinpoint dimming they call it?) and I have a feeling that will be a real nice set. Like another poster said, while the 8500 has the local dimming, you would think that all the other features to be slightly improved as the new models come along and that is why you are hearing some people say that the c7000 can hold its own against the 8500. It's a hard call to make, and I really need this set for a new place by april so I can see my Yanks play. I know from talking to a friend who can get me all these sets that I can get all of them within $150 of each other so I am really unsure what to do also. 3d is not a huge concern for me, although I wouldn't exactly mind having it as a little bonus. What concerns me more is that the news sets are probably just overall a bit step up from last year in many areas, as is what normally happens in products.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
"Is the 8500 still the TV to beat even after the 2010's are out?"

I guess my first question is, "How will we know until there have been enough people buying the new TVs to give accurate reviews of their experiences with them?"

That being said, the 8500 is such a good TV at such a good price right now, unless you are one who is more interested in cutting-edge technology and are willing to take a chance on an unknown, why would you not buy the 8500 if you're really interested in getting one of the best TVs ever made?

Only you can answer that question.

I know deciding what TV to buy can be very frustrating. Do your research, but if you're really interested in an 8500, I wouldn't wait too long or they will all be gone.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts